Global Backpackers Waterfront
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 June 2011

First the positives: Great location, right on the Esplanade and just across the road from the Lagoon. Also, the bed was pretty comfortable, and they offer a $5 meal deal with a local Irish pub which was really very good! So far, so good then... or perhaps not. Because of it's central location, this is a real party hostel, we must have got all of 3 hours sleep with people rolling in from pub crawls at various times, and then building work starting drilling at 7am. There is no soundproofing in the rooms surrounding the central common area, with shutters (which don't close) in the windows rather than glass.

We decided to go and ask if we could be moved to a quieter room, but were kept waiting at the desk for 5mins while the receptionist had her lunch in the back room. We explained the situation, and were quite bluntly told that the night manager hadn't said anything and there was no where they could move us anyway. No apology was extended. Lastly a cosmetic complaint, the inside of the building looks like a prison, think Shawshank Redemption type setting! All-in-all, if you value sleep when you pay for accomodation, then avoid this place!

Room Tip: Find another hotel?
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StephandLawse
Reviewed 12 May 2011

I had high expectations of this hostel when I arrived. They advertised free shuttle from the airport -- it wasn't. While still cheap at $5, it's inacurrately described on their website. They claimed to have the lowest tour prices in town -- they weren't. I was actually quoted a price higher than the brochure price so I booked my Great Barrier Reef tour at the nearby official visitor center. While the rate for a single room was very cheap, so was the accommodations. My mattress was tilted so it was very easy to get out of bed. The walls were very thin so I was frequently awakend by slamming doors (not the fault of the guests; it's just the way the locks were made). The showers had mounds of hair in several places. Just how often do they clean this place? Oh speaking of clean, Housekeeping is supposed to change linen and empty trash daily. They didn't. I had to put a note on my door to remind them to do so since I didn't get these services two days in a row.

Sure, the location was great, but there are many other accommodations nearby. Stay here only if you're a student or on a very tight budget. Otherwise, find another place.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the hallway!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank mpjsalazar
Reviewed 23 April 2011

very clean rooms and helpful staff at the reception. they were able to tell us all about different diving day tours which was great. we had dinner included in the rate. it was served in the whoolshed every evening which was also ok. when we had enough of the spag bol we could upgrade for any ala carte dish for only a few dollars more.
bottom line - it is a great spot for anyone who stays in Cairns and want to make the most of their holiday.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2011

I had a great time at Global Waterfront! I was planning on staying in Cairns for 3 nights but since they were running a special deal (pay for 3 nights, stay for 4) I decided to stay a 4th night. The room I got was great (air conditioned, and full of very nice, quiet people -- perfect!) and the staff was amazingly kind and helpful. I came into Cairns on the train and I was a little nervous about walking alone to the hostel at night. I called to make sure I knew exactly where I was going and Alex not only gave me directions, she also offered to call me back to check on me if I hadn't made it to the hostel yet. So nice!! She was so sweet when I checked in, answering all my questions and making suer I was set up in a good room, and the whole time I've been here she's been super friendly, always saying "hey Marie!" and asking how my trip is going every time she sees me. Irish is great too! He encouraged me to take a day trip to Cape Tribulation and I had a fantastic time! The rest of the staff has been very nice -- I'd say the staff and the location (right on the Esplanade, across from the lagoon) are the two reasons to stay at Global Waterfront. The only things I didn't like are the bathroom facilities -- they're not very clean and there need to be more hooks on the wall in the showers and bathrooms!! It's really hard to shower when there's only one hook (or in some shower stalls, none) and you have to hang everything over the shower curtain rod. gross. but I would definitely still come back here if I make it back to Cairns -- I'll just have to hope they fix up the bathrooms a little. also, I wish there were storage lockers in the rooms but thankfully I had a nice group in my room and didn't have to worry about anything getting stolen. and Alex offered to store my bags for free at the desk since I have a late flight and set me up with a $10 shuttle to the airport. I've had a great time here and I hope to make it back someday. Thanks so much!! =)

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 January 2011

The hostel is across the road from the Reef Terminal and the Lagoon and all the bars and clubs are 5 minutes walk away! Room was good size and clean and had full kitchen. I would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo