“Dirty, noisy, kitchen swarming with cockroaches.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Global Backpackers Waterfront

Global Backpackers Waterfront
Ranked #75 of 89 Speciality Lodging in Cairns
Barcelona
“Dirty, noisy, kitchen swarming with cockroaches.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

We picked this place for the location which is admittedly pretty good, but our private room had hairs and dirty tissues on the floor when we moved in. The rooms face onto a central atrium, so no external window and any noise echoes around and is magnified so it's very noisy, especially when people come in late at night and sit around on the sofas on the ground floor - although there are signs saying that you will be kicked out for doing this there is obviously no-one enforcing it. Luckily we didn't have to use the kitchen as it was DISGUSTING, crawling with roaches. old food everywhere etc. They don't employ professional cleaners, instead backpackers can work off their room by cleaning, but obviously they are not that motivated or good at it. We were going to leave our luggage there when we went on an overnight trip on the reef, but as the luggage room was next to the kitchen we were worried about ending up with an infestation so we didn't bother. Reception staff were friendly enough.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

Global Waterfront is a cool backpacker location right in the heart of the Esplanade. You have a myriad of eateries and pubs very nearby on the Esplande. The staff are very friendly and helpful. I booked a lot of my tours in the East Coast through Global's expertise in tourism. I stayed in a private room that had everything I needed, including Air Conditioning.

I would recommend anyone to come here for a clean and affordable backpacker.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Byron Bay, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

I checked out of Global Waterfront on Saturday and am missing it! I made some great friends and had some wild nights! The common room is where everyone gets together and has some dribks before heading out to the local pubs.
The have an Entertainment guy that lives at the hostel, he is the guy to see for anything!
The girls on the tour desk are awesome! Constantly going out of their way for everyones needs! One of the girls even took 4 car loads of us to a secret waterfall location! on her day off!! They really make you feel at home.
They have work for accomodation which works well if your on a budget and make so many friends!
Satying here again over new years! The location is perfect! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

I have stayed in many hostels around our planet, but this was the most cockroach infested. Bed bugs also played a part in my room which I didnt appreciate and left me bleeding, i think keeping these pesty critters away are not a priority for this hostel as i did make 3 complaints, The staff were friendly, and the location is right opposite the water which was nice, they have a restauarant next door called Rattle and Hum where the food is fine, but again we saw cockroaches there aswell as in the hostel communical kitchen, come on guys - get rid of all the cockroaches and bed bugs and this can be a nice place I am sure. Would have rated it 4 stars if it was "less populated"

Room Tip: Keep a can of bug spray handy
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

I checked out of Global Waterfront a few days ago and miss my new made friends. I found Global Waterfront a very friendly and sociable hostel. The location is second to none. The lagoon is just across the road, its like having your own private pool. Rattle n Hum next door a great place for a cool refreshing drink after a long day of doing nothing.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

Global backpackers proved to be the perfect hostel for me as I'm travelling on my own. Arriving there, I felt comfortable straight away. Really friendly staff and just a generally a relaxed welcoming atmosphere where it was easy to feel involved. Cleanliness wise I have no complaints and the facilities were more than adequate. The travel desk as well went out of their way to help me plan all my trips.

Overall a really pleasant stay. Loads of stuff to do with awesome entertainment people... Definitely a good place if ya wanna party!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stayed here before going fruit picking for a month.... It was so much fun! Right across from the lagoon, it is definitely in the best price in Cairns. Its also cheap, which is really great for those of us on a budget.... and the rooms are really nice for the price. I stayed in a 6 bed dorm which has its own sink for less than $100 per week. The lounge is great and overlooks the lagoon. Its definitely one of the funnest places at night with everyone getting together for some drinks. The building is a bit old, but everything is clean with lots of cleaners working every day. The regular staff were great and helped us organize trips and gave me advice to find farmwork.

I can't wait to go back in a couple days and say hi to everyone again!

Room Tip: definitely ask about any specials as the girls at the desk always are running a couple. Plus if you...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends