“Good location, thats all.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Global Backpackers Waterfront

Global Backpackers Waterfront
Ranked #75 of 89 Speciality Lodging in Cairns
Galway, Ireland
“Good location, thats all.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

Some of the reception staff have vrery poor english so check in was a challenge and also when trying to find out about the area. No lifts so not very accessible. Went to watch some tv at 10.15pm and the tv room was locked??? The rooms are big but not very clean and also NO PLUGS in the rooms, arent we paying enough to be able to charge our phones in the room? Location is good but much cleaner hostels in Cairns so wont be returning.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Verona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

Hostel located in a very good position on the beachfront, close to many pubs, shops and the lagoon. The staff is friendly and helpful. The only problem is the cleanliness. The kitchen is spacious but always dirty. The floor of our bedroom (a double) was dirty when we arrived and remained dirty all the other days we were there. The shared bathrooms are small and obviously dirty. The staff only changes the trash bags. In my opinion this hostel would be great if they only increase cleaning!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Berlin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

It was the dirtiest backpackers during my trip down the coast to melbourne. It was loud, dirty, hot, the fan was turning the hole night. I found no power supply in the room and the bathroom was on the floor and dirty with hairs in the sink. Take better the gilligans for example.

Room Tip: ask for a clean room :)
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Valparaiso, Chile
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

Good things about this hostel: location and price. Everything else is pretty much average. On arrival, staff don't really show you around. If you explore for yourself, you'll find small toilets, a kitchen and a sort of relax living room to hang out. No free breakfast, but you can get a voucher to eat a meal for $5 at P.J. O'Brian's which is pretty convenient. A really bad thing is AC, and that most rooms don't have plugs to recharge or connect electrical devices, which sucks.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Port Douglas, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

I stayed at this backpackers with a friend, sharing a double room. The room wasn't much bigger than a jail cell and if you actually want to sleep, don't stay here as doors were slamming all night and people were coming in at all hours of the night. Our room had a glass panel above the door and the corridor light beamed into our room so which made it impossible to sleep. The way the hotel is designed means that every sound echoes. Due to no sleep, we got up and left early, but as we hadn't notified them that we were checking out early, they would not refund my key deposit. I managed to organise it later over the phone, but only gave me $18 back rather than $20, obviously charging me a credit card fee. The whole experience was a nightmare. The place seems to be run by backpackers who don't seem to care. I am a local and next time I come to Cairns, I would not stay here nor recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

Myself and my girlfriend both stayed in a private double room for 4 nights and it only cost a total of $150, that is by far the cheapest hostel I have ever slept in. On top of that they give you $5 meal & drink deals for the local pub and the food is pretty good there. The location is perfect as it in near everything. The downside here is the layout of the hostel, it simply looks like a jail block and can feel very depressing. The whole building is painted in a horrible grey kind of colour, even the rooms are grey and dull looking. There is nowhere to hang/put your clothes in the private double room which is annoying if you are staying there for 4 days. The bed was comfy and the hostel is pretty much noise free so its a good place to rest up. My advice to the hostel would be to invest in some new paint and give the dull look a bit of life.

Room Tip: Spend the extra amount for the private double room, the dorms looked tiny.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Lisburn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

I stayed in this hostel for over 6 weeks in May-June last year and cleaned rooms/changed beds in return for free accomodation. While I really enjoyed my stay here, the people I met are friends I still talk to daily over a year later, and I'll always have fond memories of it - I have to be honest when I say that the conditions are a bit below par with other hostels in the area. The bedsheets and everything are dry cleaned and pressed and changed daily, I know this for a fact, but while I was moving from room to room, myself and the other backpackers helping me, contracted bed bugs. This is not a fault of the hostel per say, but from backpackers who do not adhere to the rules of NO SLEEPING BAGS being allowed in hostel rooms. This is a serious problem when people sneak sleeping bags in and use them, bringing in bugs from other hostels etc.

Nonetheless, I woke up in the middle of the night CRAWLING with bedbugs. Unfortunately I was not the only one, and there were many rooms put out of use until they had been professionally cleaned. Regretfully, the reception staff were less than helpful when I woke up covered in bugs and told me the only thing I could do was have a shower, wash my clothes (they did give me a few coins for the machine for free) and "put your backpack and belongings on the roof and let the sun kill off the bugs" - okay...

I can see why people would complain about the uncleanliness of this hostel, the backpackers who do the cleaning really could care less. Though it isnt easy cleaning around piles of crap the backpackers leave lying around all the rooms - for fear of being accused of touching someones stuff!

There are NO power outlets in many of the rooms, and alot of people (including me) were having to charge their phones, cameras etc in the hallways. This resulted in ALOT of theft. I got my Blackberry stolen this way, and I only took my eyes off the phone for 2 seconds before someone ran off with it. Reception didnt care about this either, but then again, what realistically can they do?

To be fair, this hostel is pretty average for hostels in Australia, particularly in the more northern cities where everything is that little more basic. Try Global Central for a more modern building with bigger rooms - its less prison-like!

It is a very noisy hostel - although there are alot of people there who are willing to shut everyone up when they come in noisy and drunk. There is a couple rooms in the hostel where random old men LIVE - the rooms are their HOMES, and for someone who has chosen to live in a backpacker hostel - he really cannot tolerate noise and he WILL shout at you!

Room Tip: dont even bother if you're going to complain about noise! request a room with a power outlet, or...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends