“Best pies in Queensland ”

Meldrum's Pies In Paradise
Ranked #1 of 6 Bakeries in Cairns
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Been twice. Prawn and scallop mornay and steak and mushroom w pepper both sensational. As an astute 'judge' of a good pie and these are true gold medalists!

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I've eaten a lot of pies, my wife will attest to that. And meldrums Pireas are right up there with the best. They aren't cheap, but you get exactly what you pay for. The range is staggering & very fresh.
I had the special of the day - A Scallop & Prawn Pie with Mornay Sauce & Fresh Shallots
My wife - Pie & Peas
We also split a Sausage roll. For us these humble little gems are the true measure of a great allround pie shop.
We were not dissappointed. My pie was filled with plump prawns & scallosp & a mornay sauce which was subtle but not cheesy or floury.
Peas delightfully mushy & a generous serve to hug the steak pie.
And pastry which was crisp, light & flakey
Sausage roll? Old school - took me back to the Cronulla Pie Shop Circa 1981
A great Aussie tradition, the pie for lunch.
Meldrum's clearly respects that..... I wish more bakers - and consumers - did likewise

3  Thank Davray-22
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Old fashioned ozi pies include 1. A pie 2. Potato mash 3. Mashed peas 4. Gravy. I live in Cairns and have done so for the past 6 years. I kid you not when I say I am still to go into this shop and actually order all of the above. They have always run out of 2,3 & 4 by 12pm or as like this morning I was in there by 830am and non of it was ready. The pies are really good, no doubt about it, the owners wife is lovely, the young girls that work there would rather not be there. If you like a good pie, I highly recommend it, if you get it with mash potato, peas and gravy buy a lottery ticket afterwards!!

1  Thank David H
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Was very excited to find Meldrum's doing gluten free pies now. Have so missed eating a meat pie now for years. My family always raved about Meldrum's but I had to miss out. Not any more. Had the the plain pie (its the only gluten free one) with a side of peas and it was beautiful. Pastry was perfect, better than any pie I have ever had.

3  Thank pixie001Cairns
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Meldrums has been my favourite Cairns pie shop since the first time I tasted one of their pies several years ago. Sadly for me, I had to adopt a gluten free diet last year, and have been the grieving the end of my occasional Saturday morning pie breakfast; however, pie joy has returned to my life as I discovered this week that Meldrums has begun making gluten free pies! Melt-in-the-mouth tender chunky beef, with the usual delicious gravy. I actually preferred the gluten-free pastry to the "normal" pastry - just as flaky and tasty, but a little crisper. If you phone ahead and let them know you are coming and would like a gluten free pie, they will ensure they have one hot and available - same price as the "normal" pies too! I can't recommend them highly enough, and the service is unfailingly gracious and friendly too!

1  Thank Sue L