“Unreliable or bait and switch?”

Pro Dive Cairns Day Trips
More attraction details
Owner description: Great Barrier Reef scuba diving liveaboards, day diving trips and diver training off Cairns, North Queensland, Australia. Catering for novice divers and qualified divers as well as offering diving training and a dive shop, ProDive operates dive vessels and dive boats and is Cairns' premier dive company.
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My friends had a dive set up for a specific 3 day live aboard. When I tried to sigh up I found it to be full. A phone call ended up with a magical 12 additional spots opening up! I thought it was good fortune... But when we got there at the last moment we were transferred to another organization that took us too the same old reefs, lost my custom made wetsuit (too cold to dive without it this time of year), and offered zero compensation nor did they accept any responsibility to attempt to make it "right". I missed a third of the dives, no longer have a wetsuit, and got a "make sure you buy travel insurance because we will not be financially responsible no matter how much it is our fault". I am disgusted with the over used dive spots and the lack of corporate responsibility concerning their failure to provide what they advertise!

4  Thank Marty M
in 9 reviews
"well oiled machine"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I visited in April, 2013.
Having not been allowed to down-grade to a day trip, I spent 3 days on the boat in rough seas.
I was told by the Captain of the boat that he hadn't been comfortable taking us out there because of the danger.
Visibility was sometimes less than 1m and you couldn't avoid being pushed into the coral by the waves, damaging the reef. People were buying sea sickness tablets on board the boat and skipping dives because the conditions were so bad.
Upon returning to shore, I was told I had to pay some form of extra charge.
The great food on board and the other passengers were the only redeeming feature.

10  Thank Michelle P
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Back in September my husband and I did the 5 day learn to dive course, what better place to learn to dive than the Great Barrier Reef. The first 2 days were spent in the classroom and pool which was really good, I had done an introductory dive a few years ago in France where they just chucked you in the sea so it was nice to start in a pool where you feel a lot safer. It was strange revising for a test whilst on holiday but it was pretty easy and definitely worth it to be able to do so many dives on the GBR.

The liveaboard part was amazing, diving at about 6:30am was the best bit as there are so many animals about, it's like rush hour for fish as the night ones are going to bed and the day ones are waking up. The night dive was a different experience, but we were the last group off the boat so I think a lot of animals had been scared away by everyone else and unfortunately we had someone who couldn't control their air so we had to come up early (when diving in a group you are limited by the person who uses their air up the fastest, as everyone has to surface together). After having completed the course the last four dives you dive unguided as you are now certified. The first certified dive is quite scary as you and your dive partner (you always dive with at least one other person) are one your own and have to guide yourselves. Once you get used to it you have much more freedom as long as you are back within the allowed time.

The food was really good, just what you need after diving. We were lucky to get one of the double bedrooms but you really only sleep in your room. The atmosphere on the boat was really good as there was a mix of beginners and experienced divers.

It is really worth investing in your own snorkel and mask, during the classroom part you will have the opportunity to test out different ones and you can definitely tell the difference between the higher end ones and the rental ones. The great thing is the higher end ones are really flexible and fold up so dont take up much space in your luggage and are much more comfortable. Even if you dont like scuba diving you can use them to snorkel with. My personal highlight was seeing a green turtle whilst snorkelling (as a beginner there is one dive which only the certified divers do to give you a rest, but you are allowed off the boat to snorkel). One thing is the rental flippers can really rub your feet, a good way to combat this is to wear a pair of socks, I used a pair of trainer socks as they are small and it really helped.

I couldn't recommend this trip enough, it was the highlight of our month in Australia. Pro Dive Cairns were very professional and very friendly. This trip is a must!

2  Thank Sarah L
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Our trip with Pro Dive Cairns was Fantastic! We had some mixed feelings after reading some of the reviews, but honestly we could not have had a better trip. Taryn was a great host, Britney's food ample and delicious and John our Advanced instructor was funny and extremely knowledgeable.
With all things on this trip, you need to keep in mind - you're on a boat!! Of course there are lots of rules and briefings, your safety and the safety of others depends on it. The food is great, but if you go on a dive boat and expect five star gourmet food, then of course it's not going to live up to expectations. The food was very tasty, lots of protein and carbs, which is what you want on a dive boat when you're burning a lot of calories and there was heaps of food and lots of variety.
My top tips - don't bother packing shoes, other than wearing a pair of thongs to get on and get off the boat, you're don't wear shoes for safety reason. Take advantage of the Nitrox training - you'll feel so much better after 11 dives in 3 days on the Nitrox. Take seasick tablets, even if you don't suffer from seasickness, if you've never slept on a boat before.
The diving itself is fantastic. Listen really well to the briefings as you'll be self guiding during the trip. It's initially daunting, but honestly you're never that far from the boat, if you get lost then do a deco stop, take a sneaky peak, reset your compass and head back.
The night dive was thrilling. Such a different type of dive and the sharks sit under the boat the whole time, so you can hang on the deco bar at the end of your dive and just watch them until your air hits the red zone.
I would definitely recommend Pro Dive Cairns, we felt very safe and well looked after the whole trip!

3  Thank Nicole3008