“A Great Place to Stay”

Ranked #13 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Melbourne, Australia
“A Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We had a great stay at Jack & Newell. Before arriving I received an email confirming my stay and offering me the opportunity to organise an airport transfer. We were made very welcome when we arrived and were given an extra key upon request. The view from our balcony was amazing and the furniture was very comfortable. We were withing comfortable walking distance from the lagoon, the shops and the boat terminal. We did find it a little noisy as one night there were renovations going on and also the bats were very noisy. However, overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Take an apartment high up on the water side for an amazing view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 18 July 2014

If you're looking for a centrally located self contained apartment, look no further. With walking distance into Cairns City, directly across from the wharf and esplanade, extremely helpful managers, with a vast knowledge of Cairns and tours. Couldn't ask for anything more. We absolutely loved it and will be back.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed at Jack and Newell based on the high rating in Tripadvisor and was not disappointed. Basically you are staying in a serviced apartment in a normal secure apartment building.

We were upgraded to a water view 2 bedroom apartment on the 7th floor. The place was a real home away from home - clean, tidy and equipped with everything you need for a self catered stay.

The location is great - about 5 mins walk to the lagoon and the cruise terminal. Restaurants, supermarkets etc are all very close. There is onsite parking.

David who manages the hotel is absolutely brilliant - some of the best service we have ever received. Even before we got there we had had to postpone our visit when my mum got ill. We got a refund no questions asked and a discount on the new booking. Once we got there, David made sure we had everything we needed and nothing was too much trouble. He even gave my daughter a sun hat when she lost hers. A top bloke and a great host.

The only flaws and these are just minor things - the disinfectant used around the place has a bit of an aircraft toilet feel about it, some of the decorative items did not feel very childsafe and the checkout time of 10 am is quite early.

If you are looking for a bargain or total luxury, this is not the right place. Otherwise for a midrange self catered family stay it is hard to go past jack and newell

Room Tip: Look for a high floor with water views
2 Thank Abhik S
Antipodes
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Note that it has now been 6 months since my mate and I took a two bed-room suite which was pretty good overall, with just a few issues here and there. I wasn't happy about having to sleep on two single beds pushed together to make a double (after specifically booking two x double beds), and the assurance that this (pushing single beds together) was the "industry standard" did nothing to improve the sleeping discomfort that this practice causes, and frankly if I had wanted "industry standard" I wouldn't have forked out $500 for two nights accommodation. My mate's double bed in his room was "very comfortable" he enthusiastically told me after the first night there. This problem won't effect most families whose children will be sleeping in the single beds but it might be an issue for friends occupying one room each.The only other request I made was for a high floor room, which also wasn't available - oh well...

A big plus was the huge balcony with good furnishings making it THE place to chill-out during our stay. The balcony looked out to the port area, but also overlooked the carparking entry and meant a 6am wake up as the garbage truck roared in to empty the bin one morning. I'm not sure what can be done to alleviate that issue, but it IS an issue for anyone who gets stuck in that particular area of the apartments.

The kitchen was well equipped, but management might like to invest in some rinse aid for the dishwasher. Every plate was greasy and needed to be washed properly before it could be used. Housekeeping need to keep an eye on the state of the (apparently) clean dishes and cutlery. These small issues aside, I can see why this place might be a favourite for holidaying families who want to be in easy walking distance of the Esplanade and everything else the city area has to offer.

I can't fault the staff either who were most polite, friendly and helpful when needed. If I didn't still remember (6 months later) so vividly how uncomfortable my bed was I may have been able to stretch the overall 3/5 to a 4/5.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Fourb2
Newell2729, Manager at Jack & Newell Cairns Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Hello Fourb2 and thanks for your feedback on your stay with us. We are sorry you found your bed uncomfortable. We are sorry we were unable to fulfill your request for two double beds. The smallest "double" we provide is a queen bed. Whilst double beds are commonly used in "twin" hotel rooms they are rarely used in apartments.
Overwhelmingly we receive positive feedback on the comfort of our beds, however we do understand that bed and pillow comfort is a very personal thing as evidenced by the fact that although your friend's bed was the same manufacture as your bed, he found his to be very comfortable.
Our beds are sourced from a manufacturer that supplies quality, commercial beds that are specifically designed for comfort and support. we also supply different thicknesses of pillow in each apartment to try and cater for individual comfort needs.
Zip kings are used by most accommodation suppliers to satisfy guest needs for bedding configuration options and they work very well and are as comfortable as the other beds being the same mattress manufacture, although you will find sleeping on the middle join not as comfortable as the centre of the mattress.
We are sorry we were not able to provide a higher floor for you however we are sure you would agree the views from the apartment you were in are magnificent.
Again we are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us however we do appreciate the feedback and the time taken to supply it.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I highly recommend these apartments. The rooms are exceptionally clean and we'll appointed. It's in a great location with only a short walk to the marina and restaurants. David is a brilliant manager going out of his way to make sure our stay was perfect. He gave excellent recommendations for the tours and managed our bookings fantastically. We will definitely be staying here again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rainebt
Thanks Rainebt so much for your kind words. It was a pleasure to be able to help you and ts great you had such wonderful experiences on your activities. We really appreciate the feedback and thanks so much for taking the time to provide it. Best regards.
Niceville, Florida
Reviewed 2 July 2014

MOST AMAZING AND HELPFUL PEOPLE I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH IN MY 30 YEARS OF TRAVEL!! We are visiting Cairns late July 2015. I wrote the property managers, David and Joelette Murray last week to ask them to help me plan a "dream visit" in Cairns, even though we only had 2 1/2 days there! They immediately wrote me back with two complete itineraries that would suit our needs and that optimized the fun and adventure we would have there! I have asked dozens of questions, and they have patiently researched every question and very pleasantly and rapidly responded to every single question I asked! One of our travelers has severe food allergies, and they even followed up with each tour vendor to make sure they would have food that she could eat. I haven't met them yet; I haven't seen the apartments yet--but I can't wait to get there now!! Such customer service is rare!! I'm completely stoked about getting there now, thanks to the J&N team!! I will score each category after my trip!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Susi M
Hello Susi M and thanks for your thoughts we really appreciate them. We enjoy helping people enjoy the wonderful attractions and activities that Cairns has top offer and it is very rewarding seeing people have a really great holiday with the sights and activities that suit their particular group. Thanks again from us all here at J&N.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have just had a 7 night stay at Jack and Newell apartments in Cairns. We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment on the 4th floor with harbour views. The facilities were great. It had everything we needed for a 1 week stay. We ate out mostly as there were plenty of great restaurants within walking distance. The beds were comfortable although only a double bed in the main bedroom (a queen would be better). It was great having 2 bathrooms (we have 2 girls!) and even a separate toilet in the laundry was a bonus. Our kids used the pool a few times and liked it. I have to compliment the staff David, Joelette and Chris - they were so helpful and friendly. David booked 3 tours and car hire for us which was all great. I just told him what we wanted and he organised it all for us depending on the weather forecast. There was only a few downfalls - Foxtel not working (only a problem for the kids!) and the garbage truck woke us up in the morning. Maybe ask for a unit on the upper levels so you can't hear it - not much to complain about really. We would highly recommend Jack and Newell apartments and definitely stay there again!!

Room Tip: Stay on upper levels if possible so the garbage truck doen't wake you up in the morning! Ocean...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank shostie
Thanks Shostie for your feedback and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We don't have any double beds here only queens...although they can seem a bit small if you are used to a king :) Sorry about the foxtel but all seems to be working ok now so not sure what the problem was maybe an issue with the signal. Thanks so much again for sharing your thoughts with us and look forward to be able to host you again one day. Best wishes to you all from the team at J&N.