“Cold food!!!! Avoid at all costs!!”
Review of Wink - CLOSED

Wink
Price range: US$11 - US$26
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Modern Australian/International cuisine in an intimate, relaxed setting overlooking the Esplanade.
Reviewed 21 July 2014

A friend and I went to Wink2 on a Saturday night a few weeks ago. I ordered a side salad for my entree that came in a small bowl that made eating it a challenge. My friend ordered the wontons. They were cold and chewy, and at this point we assumed they were SUPPOSED to be cold. For our main I ordered beef cheeks and she ordered pork belly. Both dishes arrived carried by a tea towel carrying waitress with a warning that the plates were hot. The plates were stone cold, and so was the food! I love beef cheeks and I couldn't believe that meat that is supposed to be cooked for so long could possibly be served cold! I asked for my food to be heated, and my 4 portions disappeared and 3 returned, clearly having been microwaved. My friends pork belly she proclaimed to be
edible but what I tried was a bit of chewy pork. We were offered free deserts and I must say that the cheese platter was enormous. The biscuits were weird.

I won't be going back.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I have been to Wink a few times and loved it, had heard a few bad reviews but went with positive mind and was really trying to find good points, but it has now sadly lost it. Very under average meals, dumplings were bland, fishcakes dry, steaks overcooked, fish overcooked, pasta was gluggy and had been what seemed microwaved for way to long. Only one person enjoyed dinner and that was beef cheeks. The service was very good.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This restaurant was completely sub-standard. The food was awful and cold. The pork belly was edible, but just, with soggy crackling. Its a nice location but would never return. We should have left after the oysters Kilpatrick which were among the worst ever! Tasted like old oysters drowned in BBQ sauce. This restaurant takes the pretty low standard of Cairns cuisine down a few notches! Go at your own risk!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We only saw this restaurant because we were actually staying at the Mantra where it is situated. We had avoided it because we had heard a couple of bad reviews - but oh how wrong they were! In our opinion anyway. On our last night in Cairns we decided to have a cocktail at the bar before heading out for an Italian meal. After chatting to Ross, the barman, we decided to give it a go as it was certainly more convenient for us. We had the beef cheeks which were absolutely fantastic. In fact we had the two courses for $45.00 menu which ended up being the best value and the best meal during our stay in Cairns. The food, food presentation, service and ambiance were all first rate and I would definitely recommend. Thanks to Ross for a wonderful night. Will definitely come back when next in Cairns.

1  Thank 60dragonfly
Reviewed 30 May 2014

From the top... Garlic bread which consisted of toast and a half clove of garlic arrived 20 minutes after my partners squid (octopus)
Both had what laughably called steak - all fat and gristle!!
Worst restaurant meal ever.
Only save was the waitress who was friendly and quite frankly embarrassed at what came out of the kitchen.