“Awesome”

Globetrotters International
Reviewed 30 May 2011

This hostel was awesome and I'm glad I chose it. The staff were super friendly and helpful, it was clean, and the whole hostel just had a really friendly and relaxed feel to it. It's located just 10 minutes away (walking) from City Central so it's quiet but not too far out - the best of both worlds! I loved that all the rooms had their own couch, tv, bathroom, and kitchen - it was more like an apartment than a dorm room! Overall, I thought this place was a wonderful place to stay and would stay here again in a hearbeat!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 10 May 2011

Having travelled around Australia for 8 weeks, I can honestly stay this is the worst place we stayed in. Me and a friend regularly used Trip Advisor before booking hostels, and I cannot believe that this place has been given so many good reviews, hence why I felt I HAD to write this!

We stayed in a twin shared room on the 1st floor for 3 nights. Unfortunately we paid for all 3 nights on arrival, so we could not move to other accomodation, although we did consider paying again for somewhere else! The reception staff were friendly enough which had to be the only good point we could think of! As for the room, it was tiny (which wasn't so much a problem for us - but it could be for you), the window did not open, the curtains were ripped and torn, the bed sheets were not clean, the air conditioning was SO noisy it was impossible to sleep with it on, yet without it was just too hot with 2 people in such a small room and there were literally HUNDREDS of tiny ants absolutely everywhere, including on the beds, on the carpet, up the walls, in the fridge... and eventually all over our stuff.

Now for the shared areas! I literally would not cook toast in that kitchen, it was filthy. There were 2 bathrooms on our side of the hostel. The toilet was in the same cubicle as the shower, so you couldn't go to the loo if someone was having a long shower. On one toilet the door didn't lock and you were lucky if there was any loo roll, the shower trickled with water to the point where I couldn't wash the conditioner out of my hair, and I can't even bear to think about the shower curtain. As for bathroom number 2, the shower flooded when you were in it for more than 2 minutes so the staff had thrown down old (very old) towels to soak up the water and once again it was infested with ants.

This hostel is quite a way from central Cairns, I would say at least 15/20 minutes to walk and leading up to the hostel its quite dark at night... I wouldn't be happy doing this on my own. The free Wi-Fi does not work unless you are sitting in certain places, not in your room. The free breakfast is 1 box of cereal left in the outside area. The pool looked like it hadn't been cleaned for a long time, no way I was getting in there!

I think thats about it! We stuck it out for 3 nights as we had paid upfront, but I would NEVER do it again. I slept in a sleeping bag on top of their sheets and woke (after little sleep) with ants all over me. There MUST be better places to stay that are cleaner and a lot closer to the centre of Cairns than here.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!!
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank lydia_222
Reviewed 26 April 2011

On arriving at Globetrotters, my first impression was that it was dirty and needed some money spent on it. The 5 dorm room was large but also dirty and since the kitchen is in the room with no seperating wall, it means that if people decide to cook late at night, you can kiss goodbye to getting to sleep easily. The bathroom was also dirty and in need of updating. The pool was out of action which was extremely disappointing and I had been given no notice that this was the case. The location however is its saving grace because it is only a 10 minute walk into central Cairns and a 5 min walk from the sea. The hostel is cheap so I guess you get what you pay for but if you can afford to pay a little more then you might like to think about staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 April 2011

I chose to stay at globetrotters cairns because I read that it was quiet at night, and I was pleased to find that this was true every night I stayed there, over two stays so far.

I never had any trouble with noise at night and always slept well because of the free air conditioners that come
On during the evening and run throughout the night - I was always comfortable. The seating outside is good and the pool is great for cooling down and both to chat to people.

The location is right near the jobs I am applying for and a short walk to the esplanade, restaurants and city centre.

It is a family business and Brian and Linda are friendly and helpful with my questions and booking tours.

The free wifi, and free morning coffee were also just what I needed.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 21 March 2011

Booked the private room, it was dirty, dark, no opening window, located between kitchen, bathroom, corridor and entrance : very noisy. People could see inside our room through a small stabile window without curtain. We felt horribly itchy during the first night and asked to change room. We got a large one (for 5 people) yet still not clean.
Buildings are not in good condition, air-condition is only on after 6pm.
Internet wifi signal was very weak in both rooms, inducing lots of disconnection.
One washing machine was broken.
Complimentary breakfast = light cereal and milk.
Located next to a big hotel where many coaches start their journey => additional noise.
Overall stay was horrible and would definitely not recommand this place. I am used to staying at backpackers but this one is really not worth the positive comments. Located 15 min walk from harbour/esplanade swimming pool.
We were happy to leave! Really hesitated to change but were actually to lazy for 5 days

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Emi P
Reviewed 6 March 2011

I had a great time at Globetrotters. The rooms were clean, staff was nice, free meal voucher at a local resto when you check in. Common areas were good... everything was clean. Overalls a great experience. It's not really near that much, but it's within walking distance to the bars. More ideal if you're looking for a quieter hostel.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 February 2011

I stayed here for a few nights. The staff were nice and I booked a few tours through them. The rooms are good and the shared bath rooms were clean. I stayed in a twin room. Walk to cairns cbd does take around 15min which is a bad point. Common areas are nice to relax in.

• Stayed: February 2011