“Great spot for a weekend getaway”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cairns
Rydges Esplanade Holiday Apartments
Ranked #7 of 14 Cairns B&B and Inns
“Great spot for a weekend getaway”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Being in military, I travel a lot, and when I return, I like to travel again (for comfort). My girlfriends and I often take road trips somewhere close to Townsville (Home) and most recently we chose the Rydges Esplanade Holidays Apartments.
Gotta say, was impressed, between four girls we had a double double "Ocean View Room" which for two nights cost $83.25ea. This was a small room, but worked because we didn't have room to leave stuff eveywhere and be messy. Beautiful view of the Coral Sea from the fifth floor window and look down and there is the tropical pool, complete with the type of bar you swim up to order a cocktail.
Out the other side there is a mountain view where the spa is situated.
The staff were extremely helpful, and the cocktails / nibblies were amazing, reasonably priced.

For a weekend away we had nothing to complain about. Would reccomend for families too as the pool is great and it's only a ten min walk to the main part of town full of restaurants and the local lagoon.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Mackay, Australia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We recently stayed 2 nights in an apartment which is basically 2 interconnecting rooms, each with their own bathroom, which was good to have. We shared with another couple so we found the room set up good with a lounge and kitchen between the both bedrooms. The apartments are a little separated from the main building of the hotel and access is either through the underground carpark or from the back street of the property. Price is inexpensive for the area especially if you join the Priority Guest Rewards (free) which gives you 10% discount. Set back 1 block from the actual beach, in a quiet area, It is about a 10 min walk to the hub of the esplanade and probably about the same to the center of town. NB The Rydges Tradewinds is actually on the esplanade and a little closer (5 mins walk) to the hub of the esplanade. We enjoyed our stay and found the hotel adequate for our needs.

Room Tip: Apartments are in a quieter area at the back of the hotel and accessed via the car park or back stre...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Townsville
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This hotel was adequate for a one night stay. I was only in Cairns for 10 hours, and this was the cheapest thing I could find besides a backpackers. $10 for the shuttle to drop me at the door, and $20 for a taxi back to the airport the next morning. I arrived late and was greeted by helpful staff at the front desk. Once checked in, I found the room to be basic, and pretty tired and outdated. The bed was comfortable and the shower was good(because the head was so old it didn't have the modern water saving restrictors). Quite clean, though no immaculate, the really old lounge and carpet wasn't very inspiring. I would not head back here with my family, but transiting , it was good enough. If you are on a tight budget, this will do the job without any nasty surprises!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank AlwaysonHolidayz
Ahmedabad, India
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed at the above property during our trip to Cairns Australia. The apartment is excellent, spacious. Both bed rooms and bathrooms were excellent, clean, the apartment was fully well furnished. Services were also good.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I'm a Cairns local who stayed here for night recently. So poor is its condition that I would have checked out immediately if my partner was not already travelling there separately & it was too late in the evening to shift. Quite frankly, I am ashamed that guests are coming to my home town on holiday and they experience such a poor standard for not a low price.

It's a great location but the hotel should be ashamed to be marketing & pricing itself as if it is a 4 or 5 star. It is worn but worse it is dirty. You can see in the bathroom it receives a cursory wipeover not cleaning. The ceiling has dirty hand marks. Carpet and furnishings are all heavily worn. Stains on many things. They keep no water or mini bar provisions - that being the first requirement of hospitality to at least have water available. Suffice to say my response to being told I would be charged $5 to deliver water to my room was sharp.

The only consolation are the staff who are very pleasant and try hard but are clearly embarrassed themselves at the poor state of the place and a clear lack of Senior Management are and diligence. The duty manager did his best to rectify but the poor man it is out of his control that Rydges think it is acceptable to offer their hotel in this condition. How many people must he strike as unhappy as myself.

Apparently it is recent management policy if your room is on Floor 5 and below, you have no mini bar. My question to them: How would I know this when I booked? Hotel answer : you wouldn't.

Sadly however over the past weeks I've discovered that several hotels in Cairns seem to think they can charge guests but not deliver a decent standard evidently on the basis that most people aren't coming back. I can certainly say I won't be to this hotel. And as I was my first experience of a Rydges hotel I'll be thinking twice about ever booking into their chain in the future.

Suffice very disappointed. Cairns needs to sort out its attitude to service standards. This is very poor indeed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MissLillywhite

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Please extend your complete hospitality service to others in your industry. I want to yell out to the rest of Australia, "Get your staff properly trained and go to Europe and see how it's done!"
Even South Africa, Zambia and Thailand have superior service. At Rydges I received impeccable attention from all levels of staff. From Checking in to spending four nights including dining and bar service; I just cannot fault the venue. I really am embarrassed by the service in the hospitality industry but you made me feel that maybe there are some venues that care about a universal environment that always needs to be ahead of the guests' needs.
Kind regards,
Barbara Power.

Room Tip: Never stop using your manners and calm down. A smile, a please and a thank you go a long way. Good t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank barbarapower
Rylstone, Australia
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Our initial concern at being led through a carpark, past the laundry trolley and skip bin was momentarily alleviated by our surprise at our enormous room with fantastic view of the ocean. Two huge bedrooms, each with its own bathroom, great verandah and big living areas - just great! A bit mouldy smelling, but we overlooked that and cheerily headed out for dinner. On our return we found our bathroom and a large area of carpet soaked with water from the aircon. The staff were very attentive and helpful but over the course of our stay more problems emerged. A sagging, dirty couch, poorly equipped kitchen, a constantly blinking phone that had to be disconnected from the power so we could sleep, threadbare towels, extreme smell of mould, grotty taps in the bathroom and to top it off, a used bandaid on the floor of the bedroom (not ours!). We are not complainers but being loyal Rydges clients this is one that we are surprised they would put their name to. A great location, and for a three night stay we could put up with it, but we won't stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family