“not too bad, could have been better”
Review of Reef Backpackers

Reef Backpackers
Ranked #11 of 15 Cairns B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Good points- location close to main attractions, aircon strong, beds comfy, lockers in rooms good, friendly staff
Bad points - security wasnt good - door with codepad was propped open and opened for people without a key - was round the back so out of view of reception. Dirty toilets and showers that werent checked - often ranout of loo roll, cockroach in the room. On our first night there was only 1 clean bed so we had to share the small top bun, nit a great sleep but reception gave us some money off which was good.
Average hostel

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 March 2012

i was at reef backpackers fro 6 nights and it was ok me an my girlfriend had a private room, if there was an ensuite it would have been alot better, on the second floor only 1 shower was working so you had to wait for a long time to get a shower, you weren't aloud the air con on all day it had to be off between 8am til 6pm which is when it is hottest in the room!, the kitchen was ok just like any other kitchen, we found ants in our bed more than once, our bin wasn't changed once while we were there and we were there for 6 nights! the walk into town wasn't too bad but a shuttle bus would have been nice form the bus station as carrying a backpack in the cairns heat is no fun

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I'm a 40yo female from California and knew I was pushing the limits of hostelling ... but I thought I'd give it a go since this place had two female-only rooms ... so I was cool with it. I showed up and my bunk was taken and since I was unfamiliar with Cairns, I wasn't about to wander outside and look for another place to stay (now I know there are plenty of hostels in Cairns and one just next door) so I said I'd be OK with the mixed room. My room-mates were really nice boys between 21-25yo. One was French and two were Italians. At first they were surprised to see me, but then we just struck up a conversation and all was good. The bathrooms are clean and the place comes with free breakfast although I decided to eat out. I have to say, that although the price of $18/night is extremely attractive, I'd stay here again but get a private room. Also, Constanze, the manager, is just a terrific person who stayed with me until I got picked up by the spotty airport shuttle service. She made several phone calls and we just chatted the time away until I was picked up. Thanks Constanze!!

Room Tip: If you are female and you booked a bunk in a female only room, you can insist on a bunk or simply le...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 January 2012

The atmosphere surprised me! Friendly staff and good value for money! Free Wifi was fantastic and realy helpfull, and quite fast!
Close to center and a nice pool to chill so it was easy to get some beers!
I would go back again!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pedro L
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Big facility, huge backyard!
Perfect for traveling with friends or solo. You can meet a lot of other travelers there as well. Dinner is average but more than expected. This place has a lot of planned events designed to encourage interaction between guests. This is more of a younger crowd of course. Facilities were well maintained as well. And very helpfull and nice staff!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maike L
Reviewed 31 December 2011

I just left the Reef today and am sad to be going. Best hostel I've ever been to! I wish I could have stayed longer and I definitely will be going back. Staff is very friendly and it's a great place to meet people. I was in a 6 bed female room and had the place to myself for 2 nights, then shared with one girl for another 2. Location of the hostel is great, right in town and walking distance to most attractions as well as bars and clubs.

Room Tip: room 12 not a good view but a nice room
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Katie L
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I stayed at Reef for a month & had an awesome time! It's out the way of the party hostels, but close enough to be next to everything you need. It's not a huge hostel which makes it feel more like a family as you get to know pretty much everyone during your stay. The free BBQ's on a sunday were really good too! Oh yeah & free wifi is a definite plus! The staff are really helpful & friendly. Would very much recommend staying here!

Room Tip: Ask for the weekly rate if you are staying a while, they do a good deal!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple