“home away from home”
Review of Reef Backpackers

Reef Backpackers
Ranked #11 of 15 Cairns B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 July 2012

i love the reef, all the staff and guests are so nice. its a great hostel if you want to relax or see the sights of cairns. i have stayed at the reef plenty of times because i love the home away from home atmosphere. debbie the lady in reception always goes out of her way to help me out. its close to all the pubs, places to eat and the lagoon. it is so cheap and meals and wifi is included.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Eddie P

Reviewed 22 June 2012

Genuinely would reccomend this hostel over all the others in Cairns. Everyone is so welcoming and there are activities laid on most nights of the week with loads of freebies involved, including; FREE WIFI!!!! free breakfast and evening meal (this saved my life!) and movie night with free popcorn and goon (essential). It's one of the best hostels I stayed at on my gap year as it was the one I found easiest to socialise with everyone, especially being a solo female. The pool is brilliant to chill in the sun with people during the day and the open layout makes it easy for us all to sit and have a good time at night. I was also able to work for accomadation, however it's got great prices regardless.
I loved my time there!

Room Tip: Rooms A,B and C are probably the best to meet more people as they are the biggest.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Hannah C
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Good points- location close to main attractions, aircon strong, beds comfy, lockers in rooms good, friendly staff
Bad points - security wasnt good - door with codepad was propped open and opened for people without a key - was round the back so out of view of reception. Dirty toilets and showers that werent checked - often ranout of loo roll, cockroach in the room. On our first night there was only 1 clean bed so we had to share the small top bun, nit a great sleep but reception gave us some money off which was good.
Average hostel

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2012

i was at reef backpackers fro 6 nights and it was ok me an my girlfriend had a private room, if there was an ensuite it would have been alot better, on the second floor only 1 shower was working so you had to wait for a long time to get a shower, you weren't aloud the air con on all day it had to be off between 8am til 6pm which is when it is hottest in the room!, the kitchen was ok just like any other kitchen, we found ants in our bed more than once, our bin wasn't changed once while we were there and we were there for 6 nights! the walk into town wasn't too bad but a shuttle bus would have been nice form the bus station as carrying a backpack in the cairns heat is no fun

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I'm a 40yo female from California and knew I was pushing the limits of hostelling ... but I thought I'd give it a go since this place had two female-only rooms ... so I was cool with it. I showed up and my bunk was taken and since I was unfamiliar with Cairns, I wasn't about to wander outside and look for another place to stay (now I know there are plenty of hostels in Cairns and one just next door) so I said I'd be OK with the mixed room. My room-mates were really nice boys between 21-25yo. One was French and two were Italians. At first they were surprised to see me, but then we just struck up a conversation and all was good. The bathrooms are clean and the place comes with free breakfast although I decided to eat out. I have to say, that although the price of $18/night is extremely attractive, I'd stay here again but get a private room. Also, Constanze, the manager, is just a terrific person who stayed with me until I got picked up by the spotty airport shuttle service. She made several phone calls and we just chatted the time away until I was picked up. Thanks Constanze!!

Room Tip: If you are female and you booked a bunk in a female only room, you can insist on a bunk or simply le...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 January 2012

The atmosphere surprised me! Friendly staff and good value for money! Free Wifi was fantastic and realy helpfull, and quite fast!
Close to center and a nice pool to chill so it was easy to get some beers!
I would go back again!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pedro L
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Big facility, huge backyard!
Perfect for traveling with friends or solo. You can meet a lot of other travelers there as well. Dinner is average but more than expected. This place has a lot of planned events designed to encourage interaction between guests. This is more of a younger crowd of course. Facilities were well maintained as well. And very helpfull and nice staff!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple