“Highlight of my trip to Cairns” 5 of 5 bubbles

US$69.85*
and up
Green Island Day Trip from Cairns
More attraction details
Owner description: Green Island is a tropical island paradise on Australia’s Great Barrier Reef. Big Cat Green Island Reef Cruises offers full and half day reef cruises departing daily from Cairns at 9am, 11am & 1pm. Activities that are offered include snorkelling, diving, glass bottom boat and semi-submarine coral viewing tours, relaxing on the beach and exploring Green Island National Park. Transfers are by modern air-conditioned catamaran.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Gippsland, Victoria, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Highlight of my trip to Cairns”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

I went on the reef rocket on Thursday and can honestly say the whole day a huge highlight of our holiday. We saw a whale breach out of the water as we were cruising along on the way to the Island. We went on the semi-submarine and were in awe my 3yr old daughter was saying how beautiful it was and my 18month old was just as amazed. We then went on the glass bottom boat and thoroughly enjoyed that to. I guess my only inssue and this is more with the green island then the big cat crew was that the designated smoking area was at the beginning of the island where everyone walks through so you are exposed to smoke whether you like it or not. I also fully appreciate that I could take my daughter (both under 4) for Free!!!!

Visited August 2014
1 Thank The5johnos

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Busy Half Day Or Leisurely Full Day”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We decided on the half day tour which included the glass bottom boat, and added the optional extra semi-submarine.

Green island is very small and if you're not going to lay on the beach or snorkel half a day is enough. On our busy morning tour we were able to quickly walk around the island, take the glass bottom boat and submarine tours and be back in Cairns for lunch and recuperation. The trip out was about 40 minutes.

Not sure if its worth the extra for the submarine, as the view from the glass bottom boat was pretty good.

4 Thank Ozblue_7
petaling jaya
3 attraction reviews
“Don't have to snorkel to enjoy the reefs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Although the weather was great for snorkelling, I chose to get onto the glass bottom boats for a look at the reefs. We managed to see turtles, 2-3 feet Long trevally, lots of clown fish and heaps more other colours.... Great pics opportunities..

Colorado Spring
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Disappointment handled very professionally”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

There were many more positives than negatives about our day tour with big cat. Check in was friendly and efficient, a smooth ride over to green island, which was a scenic destination. Also the glass bottom boat tour showed us the Great Barrier Reef, albeit fairly briefly.

The BIG negative, however, was our snorkeling experience, which was the MAJOR reason we took the tour. As (bad) luck would have it, the tide went out FAST and FAR shortly after we entered the water. This, of course, was far beyond the control of the tour company. But we were so very disappointed to be unable to safely snorkel the GBR!

The staff of Big Cat could not have responded better to our complaint. They communicated with us promptly and thoroughly, issued an apology and FULLY refunded our money. They had invited us to join them again, but our travel schedule did not allow. They also assured us that they would fully advise future passengers about the tide situation so that no one will be caught unawares as we were.

So I still recommend this tour, and most definitely this company. My only caveat is to be aware of the tide situation and if snorkeling the reef is your main motive, perhaps doing so off of a beach is not always the best option.

1 Thank Jill K
Washington DC, District of Columbia
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Enjoyed the Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Went out on the Reef Rocket for half-day on 29July. I was very pleased with the trip and the crew. Our ride over got a bit rough about 10 minutes in but we were warned ahead of time. The boat was not full so you could go inside if it was too rough outside. The semi-sub excursion was interesting but the view was rather murky. It is not something that I would again. The glass bottom boat was excellent, our driver was the best. He even went back around so we could spot a turtle that we missed the first time.

The ride back to Cairns was excellent, we saw dolphins and a whale. We slowed a bit to see if we could see the whale again but it didn't surface for us. I was standing in the front of the boat so I was able to enjoy seeing the dolphins and whale.

I would definitely recommend this tour company. I would not take the Big Cat as there must of been hundreds of people on that boat. For safety and sanitary reasons, I would not do it.