“Superb Cakes & Best Salad Lunch in Cairns” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Swiss Cake and Coffee Shop
Ranked #4 of 7 Bakeries in Cairns
Cuisines: Cafe, Swiss, European
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
CAIRNS, Australia
“Superb Cakes & Best Salad Lunch in Cairns”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

The Swiss Cake and Coffee Shop at 93a Grafton Street, Cairns IS NOT CLOSED and not planning to close.

I was shocked to see the "End of Era' review by Johnrod which is plainly wrong.

I visited today (12 June 2013) and had a lovely berry slice and coffee. All cakes and bread are made on premises by Andreas.

It's business as usual there so don't be misled by previous review!

• Visited June 2013

• Korean first
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
“Bliss, what can I say”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

Have been going to the Swiss cake shop for years. Not only is the food consistently exquisite, but the service is impeccable (the tall guy who owns is one of the hardest working people I have ever seen, kind to all, and keeps that place running like a swiss watch....clean and efficient). Having travelled to europe, I think these pastries are very authentic, very fresh, and the breads are amazing too, and I think all reasonably priced (compared to places like Melbourne). Keep up the good work, guys....

Visited January 2013
Malibu
“Wonderful meat pies and Lammingtons”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013 via mobile

We were in Cairns last week and had eaten a very expensive and none too good lunch at Dundees and we were walking back to our hotel when we came across The Swiss Cake and
Coffee Shop and thought we could probably get a cup of coffee. We were pleasantly surprised to find much more than that. The proprietors and waitress were exceedingly nice and explained all the goodies in their display case. We bought some meat pies for dinner which turned out to be really good, and Bob, my husband is English so knows his meat pies. He got good coffee and I wanted iced coffee because it was soooo hot. It was delicious, more like a coffee float but so yummy.

then we saw these fluffy looking cakes and learned about Lammintons. We split one and took some home for later.

It was a pleasant place to spend a half an hour. We were tired so the owner called a taxi for us, which arrived in 3 or 4 minutes. Australians seem also to be prompt.

Cairns, Australia
“Nothing Special”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

I've been here a few times for breakfast. Coffee is way too hot and tastes dirty, my last croissant was missing the buttery flavours you expect and the staff always looks a bit sad. Doesn't seem to be very vibrant.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Truls F, Owner at The Swiss Cake and Coffee Shop, responded to this review, 14 September 2014
Hi CairnsFoodie101,

Thank you for your review back in December 2012. We are sorry to hear your coffee was not up to scratch and our freshly baked croissant did not live up to your expectations.

We recently had a major refurb of our La Cimbali M29 Selectron coffee machine, and its producing incredibly good coffee now (totally subjective off course). The croissants are still baked fresh every morning, we hope to see you back soon for a fresh taste test!

Regards,
Swiss Cake & Coffee Shop
Cairns Region, Australia
“The Best Chocolate Cake Shop In Cairns”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013

I visited about three times and bought two birthday chocolate cake last year 2012 and every year bought at least one since 2009 the last one in December 2012 and they never ever disappoint. They make the best chocolate cake in Cairns period. I have tasted chocolate cakes from other places but this place produce the best. Even the little cakes are just so tasty and loving and moorish and definitely well worth the visit every time. And do try the too die for Strawberry cheese cake too if you like. Need I say more.

Anyway they take my order for a birthday cake every year for the last 4 years and I tell them to put happy birthday and the name of the person on the cake and they do it without a any fuss whatsoever but make it so fantastically beautiful. Amazing artwork on the cake that's what I mean. It's also a kind of a ritual picking up the birthday cake up every year now because of the fantastic art work on them. Simply brilliant and so caring when you take your first glance at the cake. So heavenly.

They also have a great bunch of brilliant and friendly staff and they get out of their way to make people enjoy their visit and take the time to make a birthday cake extra special.

With regard to prices well to be honest I don't know how anyone can produce the best looking cakes for such amazing prices. I bought my first small cake which fits 8 people all those years ago and I was totally amazed when they told me the price and still to this day I am still amazed but eternally grateful.

There is no better price place I am so convinced for the best chocolate cake in Cairns. Oh I forgot to mention the coffee is also brilliant and taste real. Totally recommended.

Great place.