“Excellent tender calamari”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Excellent tender calamari

Located along the water with views of the marina it’s a great location for a restaurant. The staff is friendly and helpful and you are well looked after.
I choose the progressive set menu for two and the memory of the beautifully cooked Moroccan spiced calamari with Turkish bean salad is still making me smile. A standout dish! Tender calamari and a perfect balance of flavours. Beautiful.

The amount of food will certainly not make you leave hungry and it’s good value for money. However next time I would choose of the menu again. The bread as a starter does fill you up quite a bit and I’m personally not a fan of Turkish delights for desert (however people that like Turkish delights - they have commented that it’s good).

I have on previous occasions had the Turkish pizza which is nice, however doesn’t compare in flavour an balance to the calamari dish.

A suggestion to the restaurant would be to add some middle eastern music and some more Moroccan décor to help create a more authentic dinning experience.

Reviewed 25 April 2013

Most of the food was tasty especially because of the saffron and sumac. But it was Anzac day so maybe the meat ran out but the lamb kebab was full of fat. The chef couldn't find the flamer so the cream brule had no burnt sugar just plain cream and the halva ice cream didn't taste like Halva.. and at the end the bill was typically Cairns expensive...

1  Thank Pooleh
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Every time my fiance and I visit Cairns we make a point of having a meal (or two or three) at Mecca Bah. The food is affordable, fresh and flavoursome and never disappoints. The service is always attentive and personal, even when the restaurant is very busy as it usually is on weekend evenings. I highly recommend the freshly made trio of dips and the spicy lamb pakoras - just amazing! The chicken shish also blew us away this time around with its lemony freshness and intricate spices topped off with some yummy tabbouleh and couscous. Don't get caught up in going to all the overrated and very average seafood restaurants in Cairns just because you're in the tropics near the beach... Head to Mecca Bah to truly enjoy their amazing food which also happens to include great fish and seafood options like char-grilled calamari - soooo yum! Did I mention the gorgeous booths, Morrocan interior styling or the beautiful views of the harbor during the day and night? Just go, you'll be so glad you did!

Reviewed 7 April 2013

Dined with my partner on a Saturday night. Was fairly busy but not full. This place has a really great location right on the waterfront, but is let down by the awkward decor and weird table arrangements, looks like they've made a half hearted attempt at Moroccan decor that's spread just a little too thin.
We decided to order a range of starters and breads between us , tapas style, rather than mains so I can't comment on the main dishes other than that the tagines at the table next to us looked like quite a small dish for main size.
The dishes we ordered were a bit hit and miss in terms of flavour, some nice chicken pastries, and lovely spiced carrot & pumpkin salad, bread & dips not too flash, and some of the other entrees not that great. But the real hassle was the wait for our food (the waitress did apologise when it finally came). I would have figured they could have whipped out the bread fairly quickly, and then just brought the entrees as they were ready, yet we waited close to 40 mins, and then everything arrived at once.
All in all, an average experience, and we could not help but compare it with our trip to the original Mecca Bah in Brisbane a year earlier, which was by far superior.

Reviewed 3 March 2013

Really loved their food and the variety on their menu. It was all very tasty and enjoyable to eat. Beautiful view as well, but a bit run down when you are sitting down during the day, at night it's harder to see the run down bits. Downfall is the slow service, they need to hire more servers, however, because of the quality of the food Ill definitely go again.