“A sad steady decline”

Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I’ve been going to the Meccah bar many times over the years and gradually it’s been a sad decline from the glory it was once.

I dinned at Mecca Bah in Cairns last Saturday and whilst the restaurants around it were bustling and filled with a good vibe I stayed loyal to the Mecca Bah. Entering the restaurant is a little sad. Only three tables, no music, staff friendly but apologetic that the pizza oven didn’t work. No problem I thought, there are plenty of other things on the menu (from memory).

The menu is now very small. Only two different targine dishes to choose from and overall not a lot of that fabulous variety there used to be. Eventually staff must have found the sound system and music came on. Nice music too but it took a while for them to figure out how the volume control worked. Putting the music aside:

For starter the Falafel was nice and the tahini yogurt was lovely too.

As a mean I had the lamb targine which was ok. The meat was a little fatty and the sauce lacked seasoning and spice. The proportion between the tagine content and the accompanying cous cous didn’t work. Too little cous cous.

My friend had a steak which oddly enough was cut in half. Never seen this before as chef’s should know how it’s cooked without having to cut into it.

For desert we opted for the Crème brûlée with Turkish delight brownie. Unfortunately the Crème brûlée lacked flavour and was served too cold (straight out of the fridge it seemed), the brownie was rock hard and lacked flavour as well. The chocolate ice-cream was good.

At 9:30pm I was handed the bill and told that they are closing whilst I was still finished the glass of wine. We paid and with sadness, based on the lack of flavour and atmosphere, I must say it’s the last time I plan to dine there.

1  Thank zullli

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Nice Moroccan restaurant right next to the harbor. We had a group dinner, which can be iffy. I had fish and sweet potato 'chips.' Very nice. They also served us a tasty little brownie. Service was fast and I liked the atmosphere.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Walked past Mecca Bah several times over a few days with my wife and thought the place had potential. After a long day in the Atherton tablelands three of us ordered their one steak dish which sounded nice and sides of spiced chips. Wine waitress managed to spill red wine around each glass and did not offer to taste first. Steaks came quickly without the sides and an apology from the waiter who advised they would be there soon. Meal was half eaten before I cancelled the sides which had not materialised. The steak remained half eaten as it was undercooked, and luke warm on arrival. Meals on other tables looked appetising so perhaps we should have not ordered the steak but it was on the menu. Will not be back in a hurry.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Me and my boyfriend had lunch here and we found this experience amazing. The food was authentic and delicious, the staff was friendly, fast and efficient. The atmosphere was relaxed but everything was perfect and the staff showed theire attention to details. I will certainly go back, for a romantic dinner or with friends. It's surprising the restaurant is not busyer...

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

After a long day of walking around town, we came across Mecca Bah and sat down for a bite to eat. The food was fantastic and very tasty, the staff were friendly and I would definitely go back! So glad we found this little gem!