“good music”

Havana Music Cafe
Price range: US$5 - US$31
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A Fresh new dining and entertainment venue in the heart of Cairns, supporting local musicians and dishing Caribbean deliciousness. Delightful food, and great live music in an awesome atmosphere 5 nights a week.
Sydney, Australia
“good music”
Reviewed 6 January 2013

i needed to hang and relax over a drink and a meal, listerning to music was a bonus, not reggae but still enjoyable.
Menu is limited but tasty.
The service is friendly

• Visited January 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“As good as it gets!!”
Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

Came back and bought some friends with me, it was a bit quiet so decided to sit at the bar for a few drinks. A couple of other friends showed up so we decided to eat, and must say the worst thing was choosing what we were going to eat. We had the jerk chicken, chilli squid, fish curry and I can tell you it was probably the best meal we've had here, the squid was light but crunchy and spicy, not greasy at all, the chicken was moist and tastey and the rice was perfect. Atmosphere was good once the music started and people started to trickle in, all in all it was another great night, will be back soon.

Cairns, Australia
“I've never had a meal make me cry like this one”
Reviewed 29 December 2012

I went here with my boyfriend expecting a great funky modern Jamaican inspired meal. I order some type of chicken with a salad. How can they stuff that up? Well they did. After waiting for over an hour not only was it the wrong chicken- it was the hottest thing on the menu! I took one mouth full of the dry breast and needed a to guzzle water, I then started to go red in the face and cry. Yes- cry. When the waitress asked how my food was I told her I was sure I didn't order something this hot she said there was a mistake. She didn’t offer to change my meal- no, she asked if I wanted a complimentary soft drink! Disappointed, hungry and mouth burning I proceeded to eat the salad. Not only was the ice berg lettuce warm but there was half drained tinned peaches in the salad. Come on guys! If I wanted tinned peaches in my salad I would have let my 10 year old sister make my meal.

Never the less I gave them the benefit of the doubt and hoped they would at least give me a discount for my meal- which I didn't 80% of. No- I was still charged the $30 for the most horrific experience my mouth has ever gone through, hungry and with indigestion.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank CairnsFoodie101
Cairns
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Giving Jamaican food a bad reputation!”
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Booked a table for three last night, two of us are Jamaican and we were longing for the taste of Jerk.

On arrival we were told that the ribs and curry were off the menu and this left us with little choice so we ordered the Coco prawns as an entrée and the Jerk chicken breast which the menu alluded to as being 'Hot & Spicy' and we added side dishes of Jamaican Spicy Vegetable and Rice & Peas.

The prawns were of good size and coated with crispy brown dessicated coconut however the prawns themselves were not flavoured at all with coconut cream as you might have expected.

The main course was a disaster. The Jerk chicken breast had a light marinade of Walkerswood applied to it, the rice had red beans added to it after being cooked and was dry with no coconut cream in it and the spicy Jamaican vegetables was free of any spice, seasoning or even salt!

We told our server how disappointing the food was and received a small credit against the spicy vegetables as the Chef had informed her that he had 'forgotten' to put any spice in them!

We paid $123 for this dinner for three and we returned 75% of our food to the kitchen, the server was very pleasant but we received no apology from the restaurant manager or Chef.

We strongly believe this place gives Jamaican food a bad name and Havana should either take these items off the menu or learn to how to cook delicious Jamaican food as it normally found elsewhere in the world.

Please don't give our cooking a bad name!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Mark A
Port Stephens, Australia
“Different from the rest”
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Visited Havana on a Wednesday night. Not too busy and was greeted by an enthusiastic owner who welcomed us and explained the whole restaurant, menu, musicians and himself. The food came in a timely manner and entertainment was good. A very spontaneous Muso who changed his music according to what was happening in the restaurant. Drinks good, service good, expected a bit more on the food side. Owner trying very hard for something thats a bit different to the rest of Cairns. Worth a visit if you like live music and light entertainment with your meal. Would visit again.

• Visited December 2012