“Excellent tour, beautiful scenery”

Down Under Tours - Day Tours
Hartley's Crocodile Adventure Half-Day Tour
Ranked #38 of 159 Tours in Cairns
Pakenham, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent tour, beautiful scenery”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My mum and I just came back from Cairns where we went on the Down Under tour 4WD Daintree and Cape Tribulation full day tour. It was Excellent. The views that we saw were amazing, and we even got to hold a baby crocodile! The Guide/Driver was good at his job, we felt safe with him behind the wheel and he had a wealth of knowledge about the areas we travelled to although his talking did get a bit much at some points. We would highly recommend this tour to anyone. The vehicle was new and comfortable. The only hard part was that it was a very long day. We were picked up at 6.50am from Cairns and we didn't return until 7pm

1 Thank Streetangelv8

Geelong, Australia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Fantastic organisation! ”
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I just had the pleasure of attending two full day tours on consecutive days. Kuranda was first and our tour included the railway, rainforestation and sky rail. Our day ran smoothly and we had an extremely enjoyable day which included Birdworld, Koala gardens and the butterfly sanctuary. On Monday, we attended the Daintree tour. First stop was the stunning Mossman Gorge for a guided dreamtime walk. This was really enjoyable and interesting learning about our indigenous culture. We then drove through Mossman as our driver pointed out sites before lunching at the Silky oaks lodge. Wow, the food and scenery was amazing! We then went for a fantastic cruise along the Daintree before a drive to the lookout over Port Douglas. I thoroughly enjoyed my day and Greg, our tour guide was very knowledgable, fun and courteous!

1 Thank KristenD508
Busselton
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A great day out”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed this very informative trip to Mossman Gorge, Daintree River Cruise and Cape Tribulation, all of which are amazing and spectacular places to visit. This is a must do trip as every place is incredible with its own beauty. I just wish we had a bit more time at Mossman Gorge with a little longer with Rodney and listening to his educational talk regading his heritage. He was the highlight for me. A BBQ lunch was given near Cape Tribulation and everything was great except for the tough steak which I couldn't even cut through, let alone chew. The BBQ was nice, so if given a choice, give the steak a big miss as there is plenty of other food to choose from. Thanks again, it was a great day out.

1 Thank KazzaB21
Brisbane, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Kuranda Rail, Rainforestation and Scenic Railway tour”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I took the Kuranda Rail, Rainforestation and Scenic Railway tour through Down Under Tours. I was advised to be ready for collection by 7:30am from my hotel to be transferred to the train station. After a phone call to make sure I was not forgotten at 7:45am. I was told they would not be far away, as there was a delay. I was collected around 8:30am one of the last collections. We ended up arriving at the station to early in my opinion and sat around for to long it was raining and cover was hard to find. I understand that they need to make sure they can collect everyone in time and can't run late but a simple text message to confirm a more approximant time would not hurt. They know the night before on what the schedule would be, waiting around for an hour is far to long. I received a text message from another tour company, saved myself 45min of waiting out the front time.

The Kuranda Rail trip I have no complaints about, you are issued a seat number easy to follow. My original seat was in the middle of the car but one of the rail staff took me to another car with very little people in there. Got a whole bench seat all to myself. It is a older train of heritage listing, so don't expect all the bells and whistles, that is part of the experience. The weather was poor but the cloud lifted for just a few minutes to see Barron Falls.

Once you arrive in Kuranda there is a shuttle bus you can take or walk 10 minutes through town to get to the Kuranda Heritage Markets. I was disappointed on the type of markets they have there, it was very much like the Gold Coast is like now. Tacky and mass produced, nothing much of hand crafted or locally one off produced items. Now this is where it got interesting, you had to meet at a point on the map to be collected to go to the Rainforestation park. I was the only person who made it with the same itinerary as myself from speaking to other visitors back at the train station. They give you coloured coded stickers to wear to identify you on your package. About 9 people where missing from the manifest the driver said but we left and I don't know what happened to them. Remember no guides or signs to confirm the meeting point and due to the weather the rail was slightly delayed so not very long to get there. The bus has no identifying marking or signs as well.

Rainforestation is a park that has the Army Duck, Wildlife Park and Pamagirri Dreamtime Walk. Again your sticker determines on what you can do and what time etc, the group shrunk to only 3 of us but then mashed in with other people and back out again. You are shuffled around like cattle and rushed through. We had to leave Dreamtime Walk early in order to make our bus back to Skyrail. The lunch appeared to be ok but later that night was another story, got quite ill. Being raised in multicultural areas I did find the Dreamtime Walk to be lacking in enthusiasm and again very rushed, did not get to throw a spear no one did.

The Skyrail was great, the weather was not. Most of it was in pockets of cloud but in all I can't complain. The only issue was the long wait to get on, we did not think we had the time to get off and see the lookout points and short walks on the way down. It was after 4:00pm before we boarded and told we needed at least a good hour to see it all. The printed itinerary told us we had to be back for the bus transfer by 4:50pm. I didn't understand until we got back to the Skyrail station that we probably had the flexibility to get off and check out the stops, but by then it was too late. Our bus did not leave until 5:30pm and we apparently had to collect some more people at Freshwater Station, after half an hour of waiting we left. Collected no one.

Basically, Down Under Tours for the Kuranda Rail, Rainforestation and Scenic Railway Tour is a pickup and drop-off shuttle service. If you miss your pick up point I don't know what happens, we lost a few along the way! It was a bit of a chaotic mess once we all got off the bus, basically we were just dropped off at the station with a paper itinerary and no guide for the rest of the day. They need to make their check points clearer and some sort of assistance for people that get disorientated. I was ok but became the tour guide for a few middle aged or elderly people.

1 Thank Michael S
JRD-DUT, Owner at Down Under Tours - Day Tours, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Hi Michael,

Thanks for taking the time to review your day with us.

I firstly must question your opening paragraph where you state that you where left waiting until 830am. All our coaches have on-board computers that track exactly what they do. On checking this I see that our driver Michael arrived at the Tradewinds Esplanade at 0728 and departed at 0731, and you were the only person to be picked up from this Hotel. Michael's manifest shows you boarded.
If we did not pick you up until 0830 you would have missed a good portion of your day. I also see that you did two other tours with us to Cape Tribulation and the Atherton Tablelands, You reviewed both of these tours and your opening paragraph is exactly the same as what you put in this review. For the Cape Tribulation Day, we were 17 minutes late and for that we do apologise. We were 2 minutes late for the Tablelands tour.

You travelled with us on Friday the 13th of June. Skyrail had been closed for 3 weeks and this was the first day of them re-opening. It was a manic day with very large numbers due to people waiting for them to re-open. This is not an excuse by any means, but this is the reason why you had quite a wait to board Skyrail.

In regards to the map, we are in fact the only company to give such a detailed itinerary and map. For all passengers that are travelling to Rainforestation, your boarding pass gives you the location on the map in your itinerary details. There is only one bus stop at this location, and the bus transferring you to Rainforestation would have had a sign in the front window say 'Rainforestation Shuttle'.

As mentioned above, because this was Skyrail's first day of operating in 3 weeks, the built-up demand meant all attractions had to deal with a very large influx of numbers. We will be passing your feedback onto Rainforestation.

In regards to DUT being a transfer operator, that is true to a point and we don't try and sell our product otherwise. We are a consolidator of Kuranda product bringing together all the different attractions in the region, and packaging them for ease of booking and planning.

I am glad to see that other than the discrepancy in pick up time, you thoroughly enjoyed your remaining tours.

Thanks for travelling with us and for taking the time to review.
Best Regards
James
Sydney, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Pretty fun day.”
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

We went to Kuranda via scenic rail, went down via sky rail, then went to Hartley's crocodile park. The tour bus picked us up from the hotel, and picked us up from the sky rail terminal. Staff were friendly. We were given an itinerary. Over all, had a pretty good day.

Visited May 2014