“Was my favourite for many years.”

O' Cha Cha Japanese Dining &Tea
Ranked #123 of 644 Restaurants in Cairns
Price range: US$11 - US$30
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Healthy
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Hidden away in Palm Court, O'Cha Cha Japanese Dining & Tea offers quality, healthy, reasonable and authentic Japanese cuisine in warm and inviting surrounds.
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This was a excellent Japanese restaurant for many years!

The new owners have killed it. New menu with about few items on it. Not even any Don! (No Special friend chicken don!!) No soba noodles (apparently that's a lunch time dish). No sets. . AND No alcohol but they're charging $5 per person for BYO! Later I saw that there is a warning sign on the sign downstairs saying the ownership and menu has changed, please check the menu before coming up.

For those that remember the change of ownership at Yama this will probably go the same way.

3  Thank mdorward

Reviewed 22 May 2014

I had lunch at the "new" Ocha-cha with a couple of friends a week or two ago. I didn't know anything about the joint, but was happy to check it out. I'm glad I did - the set meals were substantial, fresh, tasty, and very very reasonably priced. Also had some sort of pork bun as an entree - bloody marvellous. Very polite, chipper waiter looked after us and went to great length to ensure we were happy.

Judging by previous reviews there may have been some early teething issues (?), but all I can say is it was a highly satisfactory lunch and I look forward to going back for dinner at some stage soon.

4  Thank Junee85
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

What have you done to the best Japanese in town ! Shame shame, then again from a town that rates it's top 5 restaurants as Gelato bars and coffee shops. Maybe it's a mistake but if not then they woll be closing for good.

5  Thank Poohbel
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My partner and I were after quick lunch. We have been the regular customer at O cha-cha and they always provided us with authentic but quick service with great quality.

When I walked into the restaurant, we were asked to sit down. It used to be 'order at counter' so a bit confused. Table service is good but hard to get attention of staff as there are only 2 staff working on the floor.

We waited for about 30 minutes for our food. Old Ochacha, we would be fed, satisfied, out of door within 30 minutes.

Anyway, food came out. Didn't look as good as before. But hopefully taste the same.

It tasted horrible. My chicken in healthy set was cold and tasteless. Looked a bit like they just boiled the chicken and attempted to heat them up. No citrus soy with it either.
My partner's beef patty was lukewarm on the outside, cold in the middle. Tasted wrong and frozen food like.
Cold Tofu was as thin as they can make. I struggled to pick it up with my chopsticks.

I complained and asked them to heat the food up. But at the same time, both of us lost our appetite as we were so disappointed.
I spoke to the waiter to see if we can cancel that due to the fact that meal was horrible.
He told me they don't do such thing as 'Cancel'.

So I asked for the manager. He's excuse of the wait is because this is their 2nd day.
We were the first customer !!!!!
I explained that as the menu is the same, we naturally expect the same quality. But what we got was cold tasteless meal, so we lost our appetite.
The manager, then, told me that as I 'touched' the meal, I need to pay for it and he will give me some discount.
We literary had 1 bite each.

At the end of the discussion, they finally gave up on charging us.

I just want people to be aware that this is not the same O cha-cha we loved.
The owner and chef has been changed, but they kept the menu.

This was the worst food experience I ever had.
Never go back there again.

6  Thank COCO0309
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Been regulars for years. Loved the place. Recent renovation, new owner? New menu....healthy option....the most disgusting meal we've ever forced down. Total rip off. Service used to be quick and friendly, now painfully slow. Ambience was previously authentic and warmly lit.....now supermarket style lighting. So ugly.
Cairns has lost a gem of a restaurant and we have nowhere to go for vegan sushi.

5  Thank lois r