“Clean and Acceptable”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns
Ranked #12 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 8 June 2012 via mobile

Stayed in Holiday Inn for 3 nights. Location is not the best as compared to Mantra Esplande. Average room standard.

• Stayed: May 2012
KateGeorge, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

Hello Atbh,

Thank you for posting your feedback.

The location of the hotel is a short walk from the centre of Cairns however is far enough away not to get noise from the bars and clubs and people walking around at night. The majority of our guests love our locations.

Once again thank you for posting your comments.

Reviewed 8 June 2012

I love this hotel.

Staff are always very friendly, upgraded me many times being a Platinum member. Free drinks and meet the staff are always on offer.

The hotel has had an overhaul over the past 4 years, from the 80's outdated decor to slick rooms with Plasma TV's.

The hotel is an unusual figure of 8 shape, with the middle of the 8 playing host to Barramundi which they have reared from a young age.

I've had some banging hangovers in this place and the staff have always been happy to help with late check outs and taxi's. This may not count for all, just my experience.

I've been maybe 20 times, and I'll be back. Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Cairns. Great location 5-10 mins walk from the lagoon.

Room Tip: If you can, get a sea facing room. You'll get a balcony as opposed to a window. The sea in Cairn...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Hi john b,

Thanks for your wonderful comments.

Thank you for continuing to stay with us at Holiday Inn Cairns. It's great to hear we are doing a good job and our service meets or exceeds your expectations.

We'll see you again soon John!

Reviewed 7 June 2012

This Holiday Inn is great. The atrium is beautiful and the whole environment is peaceful. The hotel is built open plan around the 6 story open atrium, which is nice. Rooms are a good size and the location of the hotel is right on the Esplanade, convenient to everything. My room had an ocean view which was marvellous. Breakfast is excellent, up to the Holiday Inn's best standard. Staff are as warm and friendly and flexible as ever - particularly Natalie and Tara on reception, Jeff the Porter and the woman who runs the Tour Desk. Only weak points for me were that I could not get the air conditioning to stay the way that I adjusted it - even when I turned it off, it came back on. Also, the bench space in the bathroom is minimal, not enough room for one person's bathroom bits and pieces - so certainly nowhere near enough for two.

Room Tip: Ocean views are lovely and higher floors will get you a better view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo

Hello Ali_Hawkins,

Thank you for posting your feedback on trip advisor.

Thank you for all your positive comments. Natalie, Tara, Jeff and Sue appreciate the recognition. They are just a few of our great team members.

I have passed on your commetns about the air conditioning. Engineering will check the room for faults in the system.

We hope to welcome you back to Holiday Inn Cairns sometime in the future,

Reviewed 6 June 2012

It's not the newest in Cairns, but since the refurbishment it has certainly recovered its position as one of the best in the area, and certainly the best on the waterfront. Close enoough to the city for all that you could want, but quiet in the evening when it matters. It was all that you could expect of Holiday Inn, and more.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Louise M

Hello Louise M,

Thank you for posting your feedback.

I'm glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us and we were able to meet your expectations.

We hope to see you at Holiday Inn Cairns again on your next trip to Cairns.

Reviewed 2 June 2012

There is absolutely nothing negative that can be written about this Hotel. The Rooms, location, views, services, everything was just perfect.
It located in the CBD and is 100 mts from the sea side which has an expectional walking area and cafes/resturants for all the taste buds. View from our room was truly expectional. Shopping mall is about 10 mins walking. Rooms werent very big in size but were decently sized for 3 adults to have a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: We had got room no. 731, i do not know which side it falls, but that side of the hotel definelty has...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
KateGeorge, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2012

Hi Travl Advisor,

Thank you for your wonderful review.

We love to hear that we are doing a good job.

Should you travel to Cairns again we would love to welcome you back to Holiday Inn Cairns.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

I think l first stayed at the Holiday inn Cairns 12years back, and have stayed here ever since on average 4-5 times each year. I enjoy it so much l come up from Brisbane on the Saturday so l can enjoy an extra couple of days before starting work on Monday! The bar downstairs has a great atmosphere, and the food is fantastic -although l do miss the seafood buffet l enjoyed here for the first few years l stayed. Always a great way to start the day off by looking out over the water first thing in the morning. The staff here are more like friends l have here so often! Always look forward to my trip north because l know my home away from home in Cairns is waiting for me. Only reason there are not 5 stars in my rating? The minibar has disappeared! Very disappointed with that!
I would recommend the Cairns Holiday Inn to any potential traveller to Cairns.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Geoff W

Hello Geoff W,

Thank you for posting your feedback and continuing to stay with us.

I can confidentally say that we also consider you a friend and we are always happy to see you.

We are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 25 May 2012

I regularly travel to Cairns and have stayed here now for over 5 years. The hotel is within a short cab ride of the airport, 500m to the restaurants and night markets of the esplanade, a ten minute walk to Cairns largest shopping center (Cairns Central) and the marina area where the boats to the reef launch.
The hotel it self has great views of the ocean, a gym, pool, bar and restaurant. Personally my only criticism is the quality of the food on premises, for this reason I do not eat here (check out my other reviews for a great breakfast and dinner option). Check in staff a very efficient, super friendly and always able to help, particularly if you are looking for activities in the area. I notice too all the major tourist operators do pick up from this hotel. The rooms have been refurbed in the last two years and the linen etc is off a good standard. My only criticism is that they have installed motion censor driven air conditioning which means in summer you always walk into a stifling hot room, if you are only going back to change it will never cool down in time, and if you arrive back in time to sleep the first two hours are uncomfortable. This time of year (May) though it is fine. I think it's price is always exceptional value for money.

Room Tip: i recommend you book an ocean view room with a balcony, it is worth the small surcharge.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank thecrankytraveller

Hi thecrankytraveller,

Thank you for posting your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I'm glad to read you enjoy your stays with us.

We have just launched a new menu in our Sirocco restaurant and have a very good selection for breakfast so I urge you to try these again.

In regards to the motion consor air conditioners, these were installed as a part of an IHG global initiative to create more efficient and sustainable hotels and reduce our impact on the environment. I am proud to say that we have greatly reduced our energy needs since installing this system. If you wish to know more about this initiative we are more than happy to speak with you about it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Cairns again soon.