“Getting dated now” 3 of 5 bubbles

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns
Ranked #11 of 65 Hotels in Cairns
“Getting dated now”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

It was just ok really and for the price that isn't really good enough. Had a training course here and service was first class unfortunately rooms and conference facilities were dated.

• Stayed November 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
KateGeorge, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Hello Scarcev,

Thank you for posting your feedback on Tripadvisor.

We are currently looking into the possibility of refurbishing our conference facilities. Hopefully in the not too distant future we will have some fresh looking conference rooms.

We hope to welcome you back to Holiday Inn Cairns again soon.

Guest Experience Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

A mid range hotel that delivers reliably. Good staff.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Hello Obderver,

Thank you for your short but sweet review.

We hope to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Cairns again soon.

australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

I took my 9 year old son to Cairns for a week during the school holidays. As my husband didn't have the holiday leave, we decided to stay at a Holiday Inn as I have a Priority Privilege Card. Surprisingly the room [524] was very nice & spacious. It was a far cry from the cramped quarters we experienced at Holiday Inn, Anaheim where they had the bathroom sink in the main bedroom...ew. The room in Cairns had sweeping water views of the Esplanade & a lovely outside balcony. The room was fairly well cleaned which was a relief. We spend a lot of time in America where the dust motes suspended in the air in hotel rooms mean that it's hard to breathe at night. Staff were friendly although not always well informed. Although I had a Priority Privilege card which entitles me to a dining discount, ground staff never seem to know how it works & an arguments generally ensues when I dine at a hotel which participates in the program. The same thing happened here which annoyed me & made me eat out on the Esplanade where there are plenty of choices to appease kids. I thought service in the restaurant, Sirocco was slow & quite frankly, I didn't like my meal.My son made me take him for a breakfast buffet & it was bedlam. Another annoyance was that we were locked out of our room several times. I had 2 reservations because I used 2 Priority Privilege vouchers. So when the check out period for the first reservation expired, we were locked out & had to have the key card reset. Then on the last day, I was granted a late check out, because I am a Priority Privilege member but no one told the key card & we were locked out of the room again with my son shivering outside the room as he was having a last dip in the hotel pool. The building's configuration is such that the halls are exposed to the elements & in high wind it's hard to walk the corridors so beware. What made me laugh was the bottle shop situated in the same building as the hotel...so Aussie. I saw loads of people in the gym at all hours. The pool was functional but not beautiful. The pool bar was shut when I took my son down there. I would stay at the hotel again for the proximity on the Esplanade & the water views.
My tip for the kids is to take them to Movenpick on the Esplanade for ice cream. Double cream & meringue...Yum!
We went with Reef Magic which also suited my son perfectly as the trip out to the Reef wasn't too long. The staff were very professional. Make sure you take Travel Calm.
We had a lovely day at Cairns Tropical Zoo where my boy got to feed a kookaburra & pose for a photo with a snake.
Billy Tea Safaris took us up to the Daintree & it was a good tour. My recommendation is to hire your own 4WD but make sure you stop at Emmagen Creek for a croc-free dip.
We also did a catch a crab cruise as my son wanted to catch a fish. No fish but we got to eat Mud Crab & go out on Trinity Bay.
The weekend markets on the Esplanade were fun...check out the stall where the guy sells hand made shoulder bags with expletive environmental messages...Also check out the QLD boulder opals...divine.
If you are looking however to escape the cold in Winter, I suggest you go to Darwin rather than Cairns but hey it's all good!

Room Tip: Ask for a water view on a higher floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank majnoun
Hello majnoun,

Thank you for your comprehensive review of the Holiday Inn Cairns.

I was happy to read you enjoyed your stay in Tropical North Queensland.

We have taken your comments on board regarding Priority Privilege discounts in the restaurant and room keys. We will be retraining our staff in these areas as a result of your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you, your son and hopefully your husband back to Holiday Inn Cairns again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

My fiancé and some friends of ours stayed here in the middle of June. Staff all very friendly and always happy to help. Room was spacious, clean and the balcony view was great especially at night. Everything is walking distance and we had a lovely seafood meal at one of the many restaurants to choose from.

We thoroughly enjoyed the buffet breakfast especially the novelty of squeezing our own juice. Highly recommend this hotel for a quick stay like ours or longer.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Hello GeishaGirl79,

It's great to see you enjoyed your stay with us.

The great thing about our juicer at breakfast is every juice made is unique. There are quite litereally thousands of options.

Next time you are in Cairns come by the Holiday Inn Cairns and see what wonderful combination you can come up with next.

Holiday Inn Cairns
Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

A little late but this hotel deserves to be mentioned. Service fantastic, staff so very helpful. Our room developed a problem with the air con on arrival and without hesitation the duty manager gave us a free upgrade to a lovely room, balcony looked over the ocean and what a spacious and lovely room we were given. My wife and I were looked after like film stars. Great location, good service area and hotel foyer, breakfast very good. I would stay here again without hesitation. We only stayed 4 nights but felt very important and the consirge was magnificent, thank you Holiday Inn.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank micwic
Hello micwic,

You know what they say? Better late than never.

Thank you for looking back at your holiday experiences and thinking of us. It's great to see we have left such a lasting impression on you. I hope we are able to make all our guests feel like film stars; if we were allowed I think we would premanently have a red carpet in our lobby.

Next time you travel to Cairns come back and see us at the Holiday Inn Cairns.

Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

This hotel has an enviable location. Being just across the road from the Esplanade and well positioned for shops and restaurants. We stayed for 4 nights here and were very satisfied with the hotel.The rooms were clean and comfy and were of quite modern in style. The buffet breakfast was a little basic compared with the Sheraton in Sydney but adequate.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank victor056
Hello victor056,

Thank you for providing your feedback.

The Holiday Inn Cairns is in the ideal location. We are a short walk to bars, restaurants and the marina however we are far enough away that we are not disturbed by the nosie of the city.

Our buffet breakfast has a wide array of options. We have 11 options on our hot buffet, 6 types of cereal, 5 varieties of bread you can toast yourself, muffins, danishes, a juicer with 9 option plus an extra array of fruits, yogurt and a selection of coffee and tea. With all these options there is certainly something for everyone.

Should you travel through Cairns again we would love to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Cairns.

Gold Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

Staff are courteous & helpful. The location is great, 10 min walk to pier & surrounded by restaurants & shops/supermarket. The beds & pillows are very comfy, big LCD, nice & modern furniture. They even provide beach towels, good toiletry essentials including complimentary toothbrush pack & razor if you forgot to pack them.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Diocles
Hello Diocles,

Thank you for posting your feedback on Tripadvisor. Feedback is an important way for us to improve our service and products.

It's great to read that we were able to help you throughout your stay and that you enjoyed your room.

Should you travel through Cairns again we hope to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Cairns.