“Pretty Average.”

Ranked #11 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Melbourne, Australia
“Pretty Average.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

Our arrival at  holiday inn didn't get off to a great start. Arrived at 9pm, no porter in sight.
Got room keys and proceeded up in lifts. Looked at room number signs and realized we must be in wrong wing. Back to desk with luggage but no, the signs are wrong. Back to
Lift. Found room. Teeny tiny. Would be fine if for 1 businessman but tiny cupboard space, can't unpack one suitcase, let alone 2. (we have a child with us).
Bathroom you can barely turn around in. But everything is clean and the room has been refurbished which is a Big plus.
Room is at the back of hotel. The hotel is full. Windows aren't insulated. Between the cop car sirens and  buses, not much sleep to be had on the first night but you get used to it.
Beds are small. There are two doubles in this room. Pillows pretty good and Aircon works.
Breakfast was ok. Staff are nice, friendly and professional. Especially at breakfast.
They are renovating the lobby loo so have to use pool/courtyard area bathroom that was really dirty. See photo.
But on the whole it was ok - I'd rate it 3 stars.

• Stayed July 2012
Matt R, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Dear HJT_01

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. We welcome insights into our valued guest stays and appreciate the chance to continuously improve our service. I can see from your 14 reviews that you are an experienced traveller.

Firstly, my sincere apologies that not every aspect of your stay was not perfect. Our team are extremely passion about delivering "Great Hotels, Guests Love" in fact that’s our core purpose.

Our Porters are well known in town!. Normally we get told that they are the most friendly, knowledgeable Porters that our guests have come across. Given we have 237 rooms, they may have been pulled away during your check in. Our reception team are always there to help if you require assistance with your luggage when our porters are busy assisting other guests.

I noticed you mentioned our room signage is not correct. Given our hotel is unique in design it does sometimes offer a challenge for our guests to find their rooms. For that very reason we have placed up numerous signs and our reception team normally direct our guests to where their room is from a map on the reception desk. Our guest rooms space is 25 square meters which is a good size room for a business person or small family. I have stayed in the Hotel on numerous occasions with wife Kerry & two children Kody (6 yrs) & Jade (3yrs) and the rooms are GREAT for families although we spent most of the time outside exploring Muddies Playground(located 5 minutes walk from the hotel on the Esplanade heading north).

Our bathrooms whilst not overly large were fully refurbished recently. All bathroom showers are fitted with our 3 function shower heads, inclusive of a massage function which are a standard at all Holiday Inns.

Thank you for your fantastic comments in regards to our restaurant team, pillows and air-conditioning. I know the TEAM will LOVE hearing that you appreciated their service.

HJT_01, again my sincere apologies we didn’t get it absolute right during this stay. Please give us another chance to get it right, we normally always do!. My contact details are below so please contact me directly for your next stay in Cairns and I will personally make sure you have a wonderful stay.

Best regards & hopefully see you again soon.

Matt & the Holiday Inn Cairns TEAM

Direct Line: +61 7 4050 6080
Main Line: +61 7 4050 6070
Fax: +61 7 4031 4130
Mobile: +61 408 426 038

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

The room was modern, clean & large. It had a great view from the balcony of the esplanade & bay. The staff were all keen to make a good impression & we felt very welcome. The most disappointing feature was the poolside spa which has not been cleaned for years. The grime on the tiles was thick & others had scratched grafitti into it. The pool area in general was below par with mouldy sun lounge cushions. We had a look & decided not to use any of it.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
KateGeorge, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Hello joemary7,

I want to thank you for posting your feedback on tripadvisor. Feedback is important for us to improve our products and services.

Thank you for bringing our attention to our pool and spa area. I can assure you that this is not our usual standard and steps have already been taken to rectify the situation.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your room and that our staff were helpful and able to make you feel welcomed.

Next time you travel to Cairns we hope to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Cairns.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

It was just ok really and for the price that isn't really good enough. Had a training course here and service was first class unfortunately rooms and conference facilities were dated.

• Stayed November 2011
Hello Scarcev,

Thank you for posting your feedback on Tripadvisor.

We are currently looking into the possibility of refurbishing our conference facilities. Hopefully in the not too distant future we will have some fresh looking conference rooms.

We hope to welcome you back to Holiday Inn Cairns again soon.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

A mid range hotel that delivers reliably. Good staff.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Hello Obderver,

Thank you for your short but sweet review.

We hope to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Cairns again soon.

australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

I took my 9 year old son to Cairns for a week during the school holidays. As my husband didn't have the holiday leave, we decided to stay at a Holiday Inn as I have a Priority Privilege Card. Surprisingly the room [524] was very nice & spacious. It was a far cry from the cramped quarters we experienced at Holiday Inn, Anaheim where they had the bathroom sink in the main bedroom...ew. The room in Cairns had sweeping water views of the Esplanade & a lovely outside balcony. The room was fairly well cleaned which was a relief. We spend a lot of time in America where the dust motes suspended in the air in hotel rooms mean that it's hard to breathe at night. Staff were friendly although not always well informed. Although I had a Priority Privilege card which entitles me to a dining discount, ground staff never seem to know how it works & an arguments generally ensues when I dine at a hotel which participates in the program. The same thing happened here which annoyed me & made me eat out on the Esplanade where there are plenty of choices to appease kids. I thought service in the restaurant, Sirocco was slow & quite frankly, I didn't like my meal.My son made me take him for a breakfast buffet & it was bedlam. Another annoyance was that we were locked out of our room several times. I had 2 reservations because I used 2 Priority Privilege vouchers. So when the check out period for the first reservation expired, we were locked out & had to have the key card reset. Then on the last day, I was granted a late check out, because I am a Priority Privilege member but no one told the key card & we were locked out of the room again with my son shivering outside the room as he was having a last dip in the hotel pool. The building's configuration is such that the halls are exposed to the elements & in high wind it's hard to walk the corridors so beware. What made me laugh was the bottle shop situated in the same building as the hotel...so Aussie. I saw loads of people in the gym at all hours. The pool was functional but not beautiful. The pool bar was shut when I took my son down there. I would stay at the hotel again for the proximity on the Esplanade & the water views.
My tip for the kids is to take them to Movenpick on the Esplanade for ice cream. Double cream & meringue...Yum!
We went with Reef Magic which also suited my son perfectly as the trip out to the Reef wasn't too long. The staff were very professional. Make sure you take Travel Calm.
We had a lovely day at Cairns Tropical Zoo where my boy got to feed a kookaburra & pose for a photo with a snake.
Billy Tea Safaris took us up to the Daintree & it was a good tour. My recommendation is to hire your own 4WD but make sure you stop at Emmagen Creek for a croc-free dip.
We also did a catch a crab cruise as my son wanted to catch a fish. No fish but we got to eat Mud Crab & go out on Trinity Bay.
The weekend markets on the Esplanade were fun...check out the stall where the guy sells hand made shoulder bags with expletive environmental messages...Also check out the QLD boulder opals...divine.
If you are looking however to escape the cold in Winter, I suggest you go to Darwin rather than Cairns but hey it's all good!

Room Tip: Ask for a water view on a higher floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank majnoun
Hello majnoun,

Thank you for your comprehensive review of the Holiday Inn Cairns.

I was happy to read you enjoyed your stay in Tropical North Queensland.

We have taken your comments on board regarding Priority Privilege discounts in the restaurant and room keys. We will be retraining our staff in these areas as a result of your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you, your son and hopefully your husband back to Holiday Inn Cairns again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

My fiancé and some friends of ours stayed here in the middle of June. Staff all very friendly and always happy to help. Room was spacious, clean and the balcony view was great especially at night. Everything is walking distance and we had a lovely seafood meal at one of the many restaurants to choose from.

We thoroughly enjoyed the buffet breakfast especially the novelty of squeezing our own juice. Highly recommend this hotel for a quick stay like ours or longer.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Hello GeishaGirl79,

It's great to see you enjoyed your stay with us.

The great thing about our juicer at breakfast is every juice made is unique. There are quite litereally thousands of options.

Next time you are in Cairns come by the Holiday Inn Cairns and see what wonderful combination you can come up with next.

Holiday Inn Cairns
Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

A little late but this hotel deserves to be mentioned. Service fantastic, staff so very helpful. Our room developed a problem with the air con on arrival and without hesitation the duty manager gave us a free upgrade to a lovely room, balcony looked over the ocean and what a spacious and lovely room we were given. My wife and I were looked after like film stars. Great location, good service area and hotel foyer, breakfast very good. I would stay here again without hesitation. We only stayed 4 nights but felt very important and the consirge was magnificent, thank you Holiday Inn.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank micwic
Hello micwic,

You know what they say? Better late than never.

Thank you for looking back at your holiday experiences and thinking of us. It's great to see we have left such a lasting impression on you. I hope we are able to make all our guests feel like film stars; if we were allowed I think we would premanently have a red carpet in our lobby.

Next time you travel to Cairns come back and see us at the Holiday Inn Cairns.