“Perfect Location”

Ranked #11 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Mackay, Australia
“Perfect Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

Located right on the Esplanade in Cairns. Only a short walk to loads of restaurants and the Marina.
Large rooms and in good condition. However the bathroom is small and suffers the usual mould problems.
Staff very helpful. Umbrellas available for those rainy days in Cairns.
Exterior will need some attention soon before the paintwork starts to look shabby.

No free wi-fi

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank popquiz
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Hi Popquiz,

Thank you for your recent feedback it is always great to see such active members of the online community.

We are lucky to be located in such a convenient location close to local amenities and attractions.

I have taken on board your comments regarding the bathrooms and exterior of the hotel.

I am glad our staff were helpful. I will be sure to pass this review on.

If your travels bring you to Cairns in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back to The Holiday Inn.

Matt Rippin & Team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Mareeba, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

Got a brilliant deal with booking.com spent a lovely night in cairns then slept like a baby in the king size bed. Breakfast included in the deal and was a buffet breakfast fresh hot and really enjoyable. Couldn't fault anything at all except maybe the size of bathroom

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank jet_au2000
Hi Jet_au2000,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Trip advisor, we really enjoy reading all of our responses.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us, we hear great feedback about our comfortable beds. The buffet breakfast is also very yummy, I am not sure if you tried our new freshly squeezed juice bar? That’s proving to be a real hit with guests.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

Typical Holiday Inn so don't expect anything fancy, small bathroom, uninspiring rooms, etc. The advantage here is the views of the mountain as other people have commented here so I would recommend getting a room with a view.

The other advantage is you are very close to where all bars, restaurants, marina, etc are but far enough to not hear all the noise.

The breakfast buffet was very good and the dinner was decent also.

Cairns is an interesting place and the staff at Holiday Inn make sure you have a pleasant stay!

Room Tip: Room overlookin the water
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank guch007
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Dear Guch007,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor. We love hearing from our guests as this allows us to make our hotel even better.
We are very lucky to have our hotel in such a prime location with views of the mountains, marina and ocean. We do recommend upgrading to an Ocean view room; they are the perfect way to relax after a long day on the Great Barrier Reef.
I am glad to hear that your enjoyed the breakfast, our new freshly squeezed juice bar is becoming real popular with our guests. We also have a new Ala Carte menu being released in May in the Sirocco restaurant which is really exciting.
I will be sure to pass this information onto our team.
If your travels bring you to Cairns in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back to The Holiday Inn Cairns.

The Holiday Inn Cairns.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

I stayed here for one night with my girlfriend, and that was more than enough to pack the bags and never look back.

Here are the pros and cons to how we experienced our stay.

+ Location is perfect, we woke up early to see the sunrise as we were in the 5th floor and its highly recommended, albeit the seaside rooms seem to cost more.
+ They let us check in very early in the morning (6 am or so)
+ Kingsize bed lived up to its name, and the sheets and pillows were a dream.

- Very expensive for the value, the bed and view was the only thing I could imagine the money was going to, because if there was anything else you wanted, you had to pay.
- No free Wi-Fi. They marketed with "2 Hours Free Wi-Fi!" but you had to buy something in the bar/cafeteria to get a voucher for it, and it only worked in the reception. Even McDonalds has free Wi-Fi, just saying.
- No complimentary waterbottles, the tap water tastes horrible.
- Small, outdated and smelly fridge in the room.
- The complimentary accessories in the bathroom were not complete. Supposedly there was supposed to be shampoo, shaving foam, a razor etc, but what we found was a ridiculously small shampoo bottle, some body lotion and a conditioner. The glasses in the bathroom were dirty.
- There was only PayPerView in the TV, even for old movies.. Not a single TV-channel. The movies were quite expensive as well, ranging from 10-20$.
- The "gym" only had 2 pull-down machines, and some treadmills. Not a single dumbbell, barbell or free weight. Very disappointing.
- No breakfast included.
- Location came with a price, we could easily hear noise from the streets such as car engines and people shouting.

Room Tip: Seaside room for at least one night to see the beautiful sunrise.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ado D
Dear Ado D,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor.

We are lucky to be located in such a convenient location within a minutes’ walk to local attractions and amenities, and our hotel is in the perfect location for viewing sunsets and sunrises.
I am glad to hear that our staff were very accommodating in letting you check in at 6am, and that your beds were comfortable.
We are currently updating our internet policy. As you may have heard, our new IHG Rewards club (currently priority club) as of the 1st of July, free wifi will be available for gold and platinum members, and for base members as of 2014. This is very exciting and something I suggest you check out.
As for the television, we do have normal tv channels, however our tv’s automatically come up with the pay per view movies. This is easily fixed with a click of the normal tv up and down buttons.
I am sorry to hear that the gym did not live up to your expectations, I have noted this and have passed this onto our management team.
If your travels bring you to Far North Queensland in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back. Please ensure that you mention this email so that I can personally take care of your reservation.

Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

The Holiday Inn is located on the outskirts of the CBD, right on the Esplanade, with amazing views. The hotel is set in a sphere, so every room looks out either on the city or on the ocean. It is an open air atrium style hotel, so all hallways are outside. As a result, I did find a couple small critters in the room. That being said, they may have also been found in a completely enclosed hotel with any sort of patio.
Upon check-in, I was cheerfully greeted. I had placed a request on my reservation for a specific type of room. Unfortunately, when I arrived, the room they had set aside for me was not available yet, so a block had been placed on my reservation, which I appreciated - the management of the hotel took my request seriously and didn't want an agent changing me around without trying to accommodate my request.
When I entered the room, it was quite warm - I am guessing they turn the A/C off when a room is not occupied. Turning on the A/C and drawing the curtains, the room cooled down in a matter of minutes. The bathroom was small, but fine for just myself. I can see if I were sharing the room with a significant other, it would be quite cramped, but could be managed.
My journey to Cairns was for diving, so I didn't spend a lot of time in the room, but when I did, it was comfortable. The one caveat I have about the room, is the internet service. Yes, there is wi-fi, but it is pricy ($25AUD/nt) for what you get. The charge is for one and only one device and the wi-fi was shaky and slow at best. My connection would drop out and when it came back, it was only one bar. I think I only had full strength when I carried my laptop to my bag by the door when I needed to grab something out of the bag.
However, know that you are traveling to paradise, so internet should not be a determining factor when selecting this hotel. Know that it is in walking distance to anything in the CBD or at the pier. Know the staff is friendly. Know the rooms are clean. Know you will have a good experience booking the Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are a premium and if you watch the sunrise or sunset from your room, it is worth th...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank cam-e-o
Dear Cam-e-o,

Wow, thank you for such a detailed review, we really appreciate the effort our guests go to when recommending our hotel to others.
We are very lucky in regards to the positioning of our hotel, right on the esplanade, you couldn't ask for a better location.
The hotel itself is set around an outdoor atrium which allows the natural light to flow through during the day. Yes, you may find some little critters; after all, it is the tropics. They love it up here, as do we.
I am glad to hear that you received great service and that management took care of your reservation upon check in.

One of the main features of our renovations was to install more eco friendly air conditioning systems. Our new air cons sense when guests enter and exit their rooms and turn on and off accordingly. Which saves a lot of power, but they really do only take a few minutes to cool the room down.
I am sorry to hear that you had a problem with your wifi, and we do ask guests to come and see us at the front desk as we can always try and rectify the situation for you. As for our wifi, we are currently looking at upgrading our internet policy.
You definitely are travelling to paradise; it truly is one of the most beautiful places in Australia. If your travels bring you to Far North Queensland in the future, we look forward to welcoming you back to The Holiday Inn Cairns.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

Tropical Cairns is great in autumn - and the Holiday Inn is a great place to spend time up there. I found the location great, right opposite the RSL and only a 5 minute walk from the CBD.

I was impressed with the staff at the Inn, they were extremely helpful and went out of their way to make sure I was looked after, nothing was too much trouble.

I recommend it to all.

Room Tip: Plenty of well placed rooms for a view.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Bill M
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Dear Bill M,

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. It is always good to see such active members of the online community

I agree with you, tropical Cairns is perfect during the autumn, winter period.

I am glad to hear that our staff was extremely helpful, we always try to go out of our way for our guests and I do believe this shows in our great reviews that we receive on Trip Advisor.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

Great location and easily access city center or esplanade.
Room is spacious and clean. Bed and pillow are comfortable. Friendly staff and great services.
Good buffet breakfast.
Lovely garden.

Although the rooms are renovated and looks new, the building looks quite old from outside. The open corridors get wet if it's raining. (Of course you may get fresh air when opening the door on the other side)
The swimming pool is a bit small.
Internet access is not free even at lobby. You have to buy a drink from the bar to get an access code.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cooljill
Hi Cooljill,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor.

We are very lucky to occupy such a prime location here in Cairns. Located on the main esplanade close to all local amenities and an array of cafe’s and restaurants is something that our guests love.

We take great pride in our hotel to ensure that the rooms and amenities are of a high standard.

I am glad to hear that you received great friendly service.

We are also currently reviewing our internet policy. You might have also heard that the new IHG Rewards program (currently priority club) which is beginning in July will now incorporate free wifi for gold and platinum members and for base level members beginning in 2014. It is definitely worth checking out.

If your travels bring you to Far North Queensland in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back to The Holiday Inn.

Warm Regards