“High Expectations”

Ranked #11 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Brisbane, Australia
“High Expectations”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We were disappointed that management were unable or unwilling to allocate us the same room we had occupied the previous year. They said unable but not why. They said the adjoining room was the same. It was good but not the same and during our 4 day stay the room we wanted showed no sign of occupancy.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms 622 623 and 624 have panoramic views
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Hi Maurice M,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor, I appreciate the time you have taken to review our great hotel.

We are more than happy to allocate rooms to guests who have a specific favourite, however should it be unavailable; we will always allocate your room to the nearest room type, which may be a few doors down.

If your travels bring you to Far north Queensland in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cairns.

Matt Rippin & Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Having never been to Cairns before i decided to head up to watch the South Sydney Rabbitohs play the Titans, I chose the Holiday Inn as they were offering a good rate with breakfast included which was an added bonus.
Check in was simple although i feel that more information on the hotel services e.g. Pool, Laundry would be nice to know.
Upon check in i was not told about where breakfast was and the times, this was advised after seeing reception on my way out for the afternoon.

Breakfast was AMAZING. the selection of cereals, the hot buffet, fresh fruits, yogurt, pastries, tea and coffee and then some Asian soups with a selection of cold meats and things. They even had a juice maker to make fresh juice. Sometimes waiting to mark off room numbers were a few minutes wait as staff were on the floor but all staff were friendly and happy to assist once they saw you.

If breakfast is not included suggest prebooking it as heard guest say it was cheaper then turning up.

I selected a King Standard room as there was only myself traveling and the room was lovely, modern with enough space to do my stretches. The bathroom is rather small but functional, the glass in the shower is not long enough and i had to use a bath mat and a hand towel on the floor to minimize the spray from showering. The bed for me was not comfortable one side was too soft and the other was too hard so i tossed a couple of times before falling asleep. Offering pillows of both firm and soft was great.

The TV had all the free to air stations as well as a few cable channels like music max, Fox sports 1,2, and possibly 3 as well as ESPN, animal planet, fox 8, sky news to name a few. They also had pay per view movies which could be selected.

The 2 power points on each side of the bed are fantastic being able to charge my phone and ipod and still being able to use them while in bed was great. There were also more power points for everything else.

i am a priority rewards member and being offered late check out as well as the weekday papers were added bonuses for my stay. I was also invited to drinks and canapes one evening with staff and fellow priority members which i thought was great but couldn't attend due to dinner plans.

Overall my stay was lovely and would stay again.

A special thanks to the lovely lady on the tours desk (susan?) for the tips on places to head organising my day in Karunda

FYI

Room was 611 which had no balcony but partial views over the esplanade and watching the sunrise was lovely.

Hotel is situated where there is no parking restrictions which was great although finding a park can be tricky at certain parts of the day, The hotel does offer parking for a price if stuck.

Not sure on internet price for in room but they do have an internet kiosk which i think was $2 for 15 minutes.

Sun Palm Transport Group operate airport shuttle bus services to hotels, city center, Northern Beaches, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Cape Tribulation and south to Mission Beach they are located in the arrivals hall, transfer to hotel in the city was $12 one way,

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Hi Smbc85,

Thank you for your recent feedback on TripAdvisor. I appreciate the time you have taken to write such an in-depth review.

I have noted that you received limited information regarding our hotel facilities upon check in, and apologise that you were unaware of the pool & where breakfast was located. Our fresh juice bar is proving to be a real hit with our guests. And the buffet selection is fantastic.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the added bonuses of being an IHG Rewards member; I encourage all guests to join, as it is a fantastic program that can be used worldwide.

As for the internet, from the 1st of July this year it became free for our Gold & Platinum IHG Rewards members, and great news, as of January 2014, it will be free for all membership levels.

Sue is our fantastic tour operator; she is the go to lady for all things tour related, given her years of knowledge and expertise. I will pass this onto her.

If your travels bring you to far north Queensland in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cairns

Reviewed 21 July 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn for 2 nights. We stayed on the 7th floor, which was very quiet. While we did not have much of view, we were not disappointed as the room was very comfortable. The choice of pillows was a bonus. The internal gardens are truly beautiful. Well done Holiday Inn.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Hi Robyn B,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor, I appreciate the time you have taken.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the pillow menu & that the room was comfortable.

Our Atrium is very popular with our guests, its our very own rainforest.

If your travels bring you to Cairns inn the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cairns,

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We recently had a short stay at the Holiday Inn and were very impressed for the price we paid.
The room was large & the bed was big & comfortable with a choice of pillows. It is in a great location & the staff were all friendly & helpful. The only negative would be the TINY bathroom - very little space around the vanity/mirror & no hope of 2 persons getting ready in there at the same time!!

Hi Lee G,

Thank you for your recent feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us & that the beds were comfortable.

We are extremely lucky to be located in such a prime position right on the esplanade.

I appreciate the time you have take to review our great hotel.

If your travels bring you to Cairns in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cairns

Sydney
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We enjoyed two nights here recently concluding our far North Queensland holiday. The room with a lovely view was north facing as well, so lovely and light and bright. Beds are extremely comfortable. A spacious warm spa made a nice change from the fairly chilly swimming pools at this time of year. Friendly staff and very good value.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Hi Sydneymum09,

Thank you for your recent review on trip Advisor, I appreciate the time you have taken to review our great hotel.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your room, the beds were comfortable and you received friendly service. I have passed this onto our team.

If your travels bring you to Cairns in the near future we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cairns

Austin
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We just checked out after a 3 day stay. The facility was nice enough to be a good value. We did not get the ocean view room--which might have been better. The view of the city is less than inspiring. The staff were all unfailingly pleasant, and the location quite good if you want to be in Cairns. If you're looking for a beach, look elsewhere or plan to drive to one, because there is no sand near the otherwise beautiful esplanade. It was raining for much of our stay, but the hotel served well enough. There was some minor things that bothered me and or my wife, such as:
- Service at dinner was unbelievably slow. We made it a point to not have dinner there again. Breakfast was OK, though a buffet. A couple of the other dining places in town had a similar casual approach that really got my goat, so perhaps it is a local custom?
The room smelled a bit musty when first entering, and my wife thought the corners of the ceilings had some mold areas
The bathrooms are VERY cozy (at least in our 2 rooms).
They never delivered the promised newspaper in the AM (then why did they ask me if I wanted one?)
$10/person fee for shuttle to airport is ridiculous. Cab was $22
Overall, a good stay and value. Convenient to airport, shops and restaurant as well as marina if you're doing any day trips. On-site tour bookings a plus. Nice staff. Just needs a beach--and/or a heated pool. :)

Room Tip: Select ocean view. City view is unappetizing. Not sure if there would be less noise on ocean side
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Hi Jgreene,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor. I appreciate the time you have taken to review our hotel.

Our5 ocean view rooms really are the best way to enjoy the sites of Cairns, overlooking the ocean, they do sell fast.

I have passed this information onto our engineering department who will take a look at the room you were staying in.

I am glad to hear that overall your stay was good.

If your travels bring you to Cairns in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you to the Holiday Inn Cairns.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 July 2013

The Holiday Inn is situated across from the harbour and close to all the hustle & bustle. So great position.We stayed here before in a beautiful Spa King suite up the top floor, this time we were in a normal king suit, and not nearly as good. Bathroom very small, couldn't soak in the bath as too small.The biggest problem was the air conditioning, we had to keep the door to balcony open to stop it coming on and freezing us ( we were there in winter)cool in nights. This was fixed once while we were there, but it kept being faulty our whole time.
The view out to the harbour was nice, bed very comfortable. Staff friendly. Breakfast quite good. Unfortunately the pool spa was freezing cold, and when we asked about it, we were told the manager refuses to heat it, even though they get many complaints about this. This was a real disappointment, they should at least heat it in winter.
For the price you pay here, things should be up to a better standard, we wont be back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Best rooms are up the top facing the harbour. The King spar suit is lovely.
2 Thank Dell20
Hi Dell20,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the location and suite. I am sorry to hear that you had problems with your air-conditioning.
Our engineering department have just put survey forms into each guest room to gather feedback regarding the air conditioners, we are using this feedback to improve our systems and ensure a more comfortable stay for you.
I do encourage our guests if they have a problem no matter how big or small to come and see reception, as we are more than happy to room move you.
We have just installed a new heating pump in our spa, so I apologise that it was not available for you during your stay.
Our number one commitment is to ensure that your stay is comfortable and that you receive the best customer service.
I do hope that you choose the Holiday Inn Cairns in the near future, and please get in contact with me before your stay so that I can personally take care of your booking.

If you have any other matters regarding your stay, I am more than happy to discuss these with you.

Once again, thank you for your honest feedback, as it has allowed us to make more positive changes to our hotel.