“Pleasant Surprise”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns
Ranked #12 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We were actually a bit hesitant to book this hotel because it cost less than other hotels in the area that had been recommended. We were very pleasantly surprised.

The room was clean and spacious with a nice view.

The hotel staff was very helpful, especially when one of our excursions didn't pick us up in the morning. They got in touch with the tour company for us and arranged a pick-up.

Although it wasn't included, during our holiday season stay, the breakfast buffet was wonderful and well worth the money.

The hotel pool wasn't anything great to look at, but it was clean and a nice place to relax in the sun at the end of the day.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank ltt101
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Hi ltt101,
Thank you for your recent feedback, I appreciate the time you have taken tor review our hotel.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us especially the views, pool and our team.
I will be sure to pass this onto them.
If your travels bring you to Cairns in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We visited Cairns just before and over New Year. The Holiday Inn is right on the Cairns esplanade and just a short walk into the main city beach front and restaurant center. The early morning walks (and quite popular) along the esplanade were great for mild expertise and mild sun. Cairns also has some very useful exercise stations set up along the esplanade, adjacent to the walking tracks. The close proximity to restaurants and some neat little clothing and art shops was a blessing. Had two great day car trips out of Cairns to Atherton Tablelands and also up to Port Douglas and Daintree Forest areas. The Kuranda Scenic Railway and Skyrail are also well worth the money and time. Did a Bunggy jump as well, however feel this activity is over priced. Great seafood and well & truly had my fill of Barramundi and Ocean Trout - yummy. Holiday Inn is just a basic hotel, somewhere to sleep and get out of each day for what are a huge range of available activities. We definitely need to return to Cairns and visit some more of the coast areas both north & south.

Room Tip: Ask for a room (5th floor & above) with a sea view, facing directly onto the Esplanade and if po...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chambo243

Hi chambo243,
Thank you for your recent feedback on Tripadvisor, I enjoy reading all of our reviews.
I am glad that you enjoyed our location, and enjoyed your day trips to the Atherton Tablelands, port Douglas & Daintree areas. The thing I love most about Cairns is the fact that there are so many attractions on our doorstep.
If your travels bring you to cairns in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 5 January 2014

After a day-trip to Port Moresby, I needed a hotel for the night before heading back down to Brisbane. HI Cairns fit the bill perfectly; the rates were excellent and I was keen to compare it to Cairns Harbour Lights, where I stayed in May 2012.

Check-in at 8:30PM was swift, friendly and professional - the receptionist granting my request for a late check-out and taking the time to acknowledge my newly minted IHG Plat status, which is always a nice touch. At that time of night, the mostly empty lobby seemed spacious, airy and low-key. My harbour view room on the 6th floor was just $20 or so above the rate for a standard room, so I thought it was worth the extra few dollars. And indeed it was worth it - despite the dark - I could tell it had a great vista (see the day and night pics below for comparison), and was much better than the view at Harbour Lights.

The room itself was large, uncluttered and furnished in your standard HI pared-back contemporary scheme. Shades of beige being the order of the day, but done nicely without being boring. There was a large desk, just perfect for getting serious work done, flat screen cable TV, and comfy armchair to relax by the window. There's a generous sized wardrobe along with iron and board, as well as a room safe. Though the bar fridge is empty, you could easily fill it with purchases from the liquor shop downstairs. Unfortunately for this non-drinker, I noted that complimentary bottled water is not provided. This was a bit disappointing considering that even the more budget conscious HI Express brand does provide bottled water. Tea and coffee making facilities are provided, however, there is no milk to be had. Small details these may be, but they do add up in making a good all-round stay for guests.

Unusually - and this is something I have not encountered in any IHG hotel before - there were several quite large bits of loose dirt(?) near the foot of the bed which had not been vacuumed yet. Again, a bit disappointing for a chain with quite high maintenance and cleanliness standards from my personal experiences with them.

The bathroom was small but modern and impeccably clean, with standard HI toiletries and good quality soft bath linen.

Free wifi (through NTT docomo) is available, but was so agonizingly slow and patchy that it was not worth it. There are options for a paid 'Premium Internet' service, but I decided to skip these as I suspected that any improvement in speed and connectivity would only be marginal at best. I noted that the wifi service in this hotel was really the worst of any IHG hotel I've experienced in these past two years around the world!

I skipped room service and the other facilities at the hotel, so I have confined my comments to the room itself.

For me, the most important aspect of any hotel room has to be the bed, and this one did not disappoint. The thing that strikes me about this hotel chain is its commitment to having luxurious beds as a given; no matter where you stay with them, be it Bangkok, Cairo, London or New York. And this one was no different. As usual, the choice of soft and firm pillows ensures a good night's sleep for all. But I have to return to that view - quite stunning really! I give it equal billing with the super comfy bed.

I give this hotel a solid 3*. But if the flaws can be fixed, then it would rank as a 4*

PROS: Excellent location. Good rates. Large, modern room. Stunning harbour views. Small price to upgrade.

CONS: Really lousy internet. Slightly dirty floors.

If my report helped in your decision-making, or if you just enjoyed the pics, then please take the time to click the "was this report helpful?" button located below. This is the only feedback I receive from you, dear reader, and I appreciate your acknowledgement.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
13  Thank ExLibris76
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Hi ExLibris76,
Thank you for such an in-depth review, I really appreciate the time you have taken as I am sure many other travellers will too.
I am glad to read that check in was quick and professional and that you enjoyed your ocean view room, these are by far the most popular, and you can see why.
I too enjoy the modern contemporary feel of the Holiday Inn rooms, uncluttered and fresh. I have to agree with you about the beds and pillows, they are so comfortable, and we even have guests asking where they can purchase them.
Once again, thank you for your honest feedback; if your travels bring you to Far North Queensland in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cairns - with a view!
Warm regards,
Kylie Williams
Distribution & Relationship Marketing Executive

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We spent another 2 weeks at this Hotel in September which we have for the last ten years..We regularly go back because we like the Hotel and the Tropical North Queensland area.
We find the facilities and the breakfasts are first class with a large variety.
We hire a car and visit all the beaches. We like Palm Cove, Trinity Beach, yorkeys Knob with the YK Boat club just to mention a few.
It is worth a visit to the magnificent Paradise Palms Golf Club for a meal or just to look around.
The ocean view rooms at the Holiday Inn are first class and the staff very helpful and friendly.
We are returning this year.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NEV46
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Hi NEV46,
Thank you for such a great review!
It is so great to read that you have been staying with us for the last 10 years, thank you for your loyalty, and I am glad that you enjoy your stays.
I will be sure to pass this onto our team.
Once again, thank you for your great review, we look forward to seeing you sometime this year, September is a perfect time to join us.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

spacious clean hotel room, pleasant staff, room service tasty and reasonably priced, plenty of towels and nice comfortable beds, good location near the esplanade - we would happily stay there again....

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi kelliae,
Thank you for your recent review, I appreciate the time you have taken.
It is great to read that you enjoyed our room service as well as location.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cairns in the near future,

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed here for a few days in November last year. Slightly disappointed by check in that didn't ask about Priority membership details like free newspaper etc. but loved the fact that the concierge took our bags to our room, rare in Australian hotels. We had the ocean view room, well worth the money. Very spacious, lovely balcony. When we had a problem with the TV, concierge again solved the problem very quickly. Had 1 breakfast in the hotel, nice range. On checkout, we managed to catch the Barramundi feeding session, which for a hardened Aussie tourist like me found it interesting. Next time we return to Cairns, we will be staying at this hotel

Room Tip: Ocean view room definitely worth the extra cost
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shed_gal

Hi shed_gal,
Thank you for your recent review, I appreciate the time you have taken.
I am glad that you enjoyed your ocean view room along with our buffet breakfast.
The barramundi feeding is a huge hit, they are so spoilt and love their prawns.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cairns during your next visit.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Spent a few days in cairns for Xmas at the holiday inn on the esplanade from the moment we came to the reception desk we were made to feel very welcome the staff are very helpful, the room we had was an ocean view room with a balcony the room was. Spacious and the beds very comfortable.we had breakfast and dinner in the hotel restraunt the menu has a lot to offer the staff friendly and very helpful the hotel has great facilities pool and spa and a bottle shop on the premises. We will be definately being paying them a return visit. Thank you for making our Xmas special

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tochol

Hi tochol,
Happy New Year & thank you for such a great review.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as our Sirocco restaurant meals.
Christmas came and went all too fast, but I hope you enjoyed every minute of it.
We look forward to welcoming you next time to the Holiday Inn.