“Fantastic Stay & Conveniently Located To The Nightlife”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns
Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 30 January 2014

This hotel provided a nice clean room, friendly staff, knowledgeable concierge and a great breakfast buffet that was provided in our vacation package. It is conveniently located a street away from the boardwalk and the ocean. Between 2 and 3 streets away you will find the night market and lots of food and entertainment. It's in a safe, clean area, aesthetically pleasing exterior with an interesting barramundi (local HUGE fish) open aquarium for customers to explore and actually participate in the feeding. I personally did not use any of the amenities such as pool and bar. The breakfast buffet was varied with many choices of fruit, drinks, cereals and staple breakfast foods (pancakes, eggs, sausage, etc). The concierge made great personal suggestions for tours and local shopping. We even returned to thank her for the choices she made. I joined the IGH (Holiday Inn Rewards program -free-) to receive free internet and a later check-out time. This hotel is also less than 15 minutes away from the airport. If you are traveling by yourself, the bus (shuttle) to/from the airport is fine. However if you have 2 or more in your party, TAKE THE TAXI. It will save you a great deal of money. Shuttle bus to/from the airport to any hotel is US$15-18 per person each way. The taxi is close enough in price for as many as can fit in the vehicle. Example: 2 people by bus to hotel $30-36 (can't remember if it was $15 or $18/person) while the taxi was $22 for 2 people. Just an overall great experience!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank mshaneclark
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Hi mshaneclark,
Thank you for your in depth review, it is great to see so many active members of the online community.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us here as well as our great location, we really are lucky to be located directly on the Esplanade.
Our barramundi pond is a huge hit with our guests; Duane our gardener/landscaper is very knowledgeable and does a great job explaining all about them. They are very big because they are extremely spoilt, they love their prawns.
If your travels bring you to far North Queensland in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cairns
Matt Rippin & Team

Write a ReviewReviews (2,326)

Reviewed 26 January 2014

The hotel itself was really very nice, clean, friendly and well located. The only 2 let downs are as follows. First there were very limited sun loungers around the pool. After doing trips during the day it was nice to come back to the pool for a cool down, however, there were 5 of us and not once in 6 days we were all able to get a lounger although the pool area itself wasn't particularly busy. The other was the breakfast.

We went down one morning and asked if there was an alternative to the buffet as we were bein picked up for a trip and didnt have much time. We were informed we coikd have something from the bakery and a deink for $6 which was great. Two days later we asked for the same again before heading on a boay trip and was told it was $12. I asked how it could double in 2 days and wad brushed off as if I was talking rubbish about the $6 breakfast offered 2 days previous. Needless to say we did not accept thi and went elsewhere.

Otherwise the hotel was great as was Cairns itself. Highly recommend barefoot tours.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank EVEYC21
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Hi EVEYBEAN,
Thank you for your great review.
It is great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us here. I apologise that your experience with breakfast was not what you had hoped.
We do offer the buffet breakfast, however some guests find they need to leave before our opening hours of 6am or need to leave for a trip like yourself. We can do what we call a “boxed breakfast” which includes a fruit salad, apple, energy bar, yoghurt, croissant, muffin, butter, cheese, juice popper & plastic cutlery set. It is $2o per person if not included in your booking. You can ask for this option from our front desk reception & have it delivered to your room the night before or pick it up in the morning from the restaurant.
I hope this information has helped.
If your travels brig you to Far North Queensland in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cairns.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We stayed at Holiday Inn Cairns last weekend. As we booked last minute, we found a great deal through Expedia (only A$186.31 for two nights!). We were given a room with the swimming pool and glimpse of the water view which was quite nice. The room was spacious, and had different kind of pillows which I thought was nice until I found a hair on one of the pillows. I found more hair on the carpet, the bathroom and even on the desk....
The swimming pool has a warm spa which I really liked. The hotel is little dated, but if they clean rooms better, they can be a great place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank akm193Sydney

Hi akm193Sydney,
Thank you for your recent review, I appreciate the time you have taken as well as your honesty.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us here as well as our lovely views.
I will pass this review onto our housekeeping department to review.
Once again, thank you for your honesty, as it allows us to make our great hotel even better.
Mat Rippin & Team

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We had a lovely stay at the Holiday Inn Cairns using some IHG points. The rooms were clean and comfortable (great high quality bedding) and the location in Cairns was terrific- just 5 minutes to the Esplanade and some great restaurants. The courtyard at the hotel was green and tropical- a very nice touch! Recommended.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Michelle R

Hi beebalm26,
Thank you for your great review.
I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us here in Cairns as well as our great location.
Thank you for recommending our hotel; if your travels bring you to Cairns in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Stayed two nights with my partner and fully enjoyed our stay. Had two great sleeps as the beds were unbelievably comfortable. Rooms are stylish, modern and clean. Aircon worked great and wasn't noisy, luckily because it was extremely hot weather in Cairns during our stay. Pool was a bit on the small side and the water was too warm. The tropical gardens in the motel are lovely to look at. Great location close to the Esplanade. Shops, cafes, restaurants and the lagoon, just a short stroll away. I would definitely book here again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alintajade

Hi Alintajade,
Thank you for your great review.
I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us here in Cairns as well as our indoor atrium and location. We are very lucky to be located in such a prime spot, directly on the esplanade.
If your travels bring you to Cairns in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Myself and my partner stayed here for 1 night - just passing through Cairns.
Got a great rate on Expedia, Hotel room was spacious, modern and very clean!
The front desk staff, in particular a lady - dark brown hair - had the most pleasant, bubbly and helpful nature, she made us feel welcome and her service was quick and efficient, she is a great representative for the Holiday Inn. Location was fantastic also right on the Esplanade. Will definitely stay here again when coming to Cairns :)

Room Tip: Ocean View !
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lee31_13
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Hi lee31_13
Thank you for taking the time to review our great hotel, it is great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am glad that you enjoyed our spacious room.
I will pass this onto our team
Once again thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
If you are passing by or in need of a short getaway in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cairns
Warm Regards
Matt Rippin & team

Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel on my recent trip to cairns, I stayed here about a year ago and enjoyed my stay so I stayed here again seeing I've stayed here before but this time around I didn't enjoy my stay. On arrival there was a bit of a mix up with my booking, as there was three rooms accidentally booked under my name when I was paying for one, which got sorted and I was fine with it but upon arrival to my room I wasn't to happy with my room when I asked for a different room I was told by one of the worker's that they had no other rooms available. When I asked about the two other rooms that were accidentally booked under my name that one of the other workers had told me about she told me how the two other rooms were "immediately" booked out by two other people which seemed a bit weird. As for the activity kiosk, Lyn was a great help and a lovely lady to talk to but wasn't to happy with Sue. After two day's of booking activities with Sue, she got really rude and refused to book anything for me. At first I thought she was having a bad day as she was in a middle of an argument at the time over the phone with someone else, when I went back later that day to book hoping she would have cooled off by then but instead she got all nasty and told me to go away as soon as she saw me approaching the desk. Besides the two incidents the hotel wasn't to bad and rest of the staff were friendly

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank eliearrage
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Good Morning eliearrage,
Thank you for your recent review, I really appreciate your honesty.
Firstly, let me apologise for the mix up with your booking, I am glad that our front desk team were able to resolve this issue for you.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed the rest of your stay.
Please rest assured that I have forwarded this to the appropriate departments to review.
Once again, I appreciate the time you have taken to review our great hotel.
If your travels bring you to Far North Queensland we do hope to welcome you to our hotel again.