“Good location - comfortable hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns
Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Location is on esplanade so if you ask you can have a balcony with a sea view, which is nice.
Close to all restaurants and shops without being noisy. We did not use hotel restaurant as town ones close.
Room was large, clean and well equipped.
Parking on street outside is free.
WiFi in Lobby worked well with comfortable seating.
Staff were always helpful with our various luggage and travel requests.
Recommended for your stay in Cairns.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SP1200
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Hi SP1200,
Thank you for your great review, I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us here. Our ocean view rooms are perfect for relaxing and taking in the wonderful views of the Coral Sea.
I am glad to read that our team was friendly and helpful.
Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you in the near future.
Matt Rippin & Team

Write a ReviewReviews (2,326)

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Excellent Hotel in so many ways. Rooms are fabulous well laid out, the beds are the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on, with the most goregous view of the Ocean and the Marina.

Conciege Tavis was very helpful with the luggage.

Donna delivered my In room breakfast with care and promptliness; it was very delicious.

Jess at the Front Desk was very professional and kind, cheerful always smiling.

Excellent location to the heart of the city, to restaurants and shops. The Barramundi Fish feeding was great, Nice touch to the hotel.

Sirrocco Restaurant, Very delicious and the Best Food. Make sure you get Fabian to cook you the BEST steak you will ever eat!!

Can't wait to come back!!

Room Tip: Try Chef Fabian's Steak.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank xx x

Hi xx x,
Thank you for the wonderful review. I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us here.
I agree with you, the beds are so comfortable and the pillows are the best!
Thank you for recommending out team & mentioning them in your review, I have sent this to them to read.
Fabian is a great chef, I am yet to try his steak, but he has made me the best chicken korma curry – our teams favourite.
Once again, thank you for your great review – we look forward to welcoming you next time

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stayed one night here and highly recommend this hotel. First it is in a good location along the ocean and you can walk to the Esplande and have many restaurants to choose from. I really liked the room, first the beds are double beds and have soft matress and pillows. The bathroom seems to have been remodeled recently. There was plenty of hot water and good water pressure and a nice long counter to sit things on. Plus the free internet, sign up for the membership to get it free, worked well. It loaded web pages fast.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Matt R, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Hi Twinkles2008,
Thank you for your great feedback, I enjoy reading all of our comments.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed our location. I have to agree with you, the beds & pillows are my favourite.
Once again, thank you for the great review, we hope to welcome you next time.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

I spent 3 nights in Holiday Inn Cairns and my experience was awesome. I was extremely satisfied with the location of the hotel. It takes just 10 minutes to reach to harbor, 5 minutes to lagoon on foot. You can easily access to marketplace and restaurants within few minutes. If you are planning to stay in Cairns, either choose Holiday Inn or somewhere else close to there.

Room standards were more than satisfactory. In my room there were 2 queen size beds. Room was spacious and clean. Air condition was working properly. Bathroom was also clean and comfortable enough. There are both soft and regular pillows on the bed. Safe was working properly in the room. I had no complaint in the room.

There is free wireless internet access, if you connect from lobby and it works consistently. I find employees of the hotel very kind and helpful. I was also satisfied with the breakfast. Hotel also provides indoor parking free of charge which is also another plus.

My only misperception was about the swimming pool. On the pictures pool looks spacious and attractive. However when you see it with your bare eyes, you realize that it is too small and you never desire swimming inside.

I would definitely stay there if I visit Cairns again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Murat S
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Hello msumengen,
Thank you for your 5 star review.
I enjoyed reading about your stay and am glad that you found you room comfortable and clean, and that everything was in working order.
I am glad that you found our team kind and helpful, they are definitely a 5 star team!
Thank you for your honest comments regarding our pool.
We look forward to welcoming you next time.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We spent 3 nights here before moving to Port Douglas and the hotel was booked by Pat's firm so we didn't know what to expect. However we were very pleasantly surprised and enjoyed the 3 nights.
We were given an upgrade (FOC) and had a sea view. The room was very clean and well furnished.
Didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment on the food. The pool was good, clean and well maintained.
If you stay here make sure you see them hand feeding the Barramundi in the rock pools (happens at about 1pm) the guy who does this is very interesting and knows his stuff.
Would happily stay here again even if we had to pay.
The hotel is about 5-10 walk away from Cairns centre and is within a 5 minute walk of a number of good restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello PatnPete,
It was so great to read that you had a great time at our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed our ocean view room, and found it comfortable and clean.
The barramundi do steal the show, they are great to watch & love their prawns. Duane our landscape gardener is very knowledgeable in all areas of our hotel and is always happy to chat about the variety of plants and the barramundi.
We look forward to welcoming you next time to the Holiday Inn Cairns.
P.S: Love the picture of your bird – the colours remind me of our lush tropical region.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

located in a very perfect spot convineint to cover entire cairns. Neat and clean rooms.
Was kind enough to being upgraded to a superior room. Room are actually value for money.
Happy for opting holiday inn cairns.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello sanil s,
Thank you for your great review.
I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us here, we are extremely lucky to be located in such a prime position, as you mentioned so close to everything that Cairns has to offer.
I am glad that you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade.
We hope you enjoyed this beautiful part of the world, and hope to welcome you in the near future

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Hate to be out of step but experience was disappointing. Upgraded to this hotel on advice of travel agent.Room inadequately prepared Damien assured me that I was not looking and everything was present. Got his own back by deleting our food order by an hour and a half.
Yes, receptionist, You should be sorry your hotel does not measure up to my standards...what are your standards?

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wingrin

Hello wingrin,
Thank you for your recent feedback on Tripadvisor.
Please don’t be sorry, I do appreciate your honest feedback.
Our hotel really prides itself on our customer service, as many of these reviews show. I am sorry however, that you felt you did not receive great service during your stay.
Please rest assured that I have sent your feedback onto the appropriate departments to review.
Once again, thank you for taking the time & I hope that you do choose to stay with us again in the near future.