“Much of a Muchness”

Ranked #11 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Ayr, Australia
“Much of a Muchness”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Great location along the esplanade and reasonably priced on a deal, there wasn't much wow factor to my stay here at the end of March 2014. Major selling points are the staff who were very helpful and friendly and if you sign up for the VIP you get free wi-fi, which is a big bonus in an Australian hotel.

Rooms were rather plain but clean. Bathroom was small, shower tiny, clothes line useful though. You need to specify each day if you'd like your linen changed but that's part of the hotels green approach.

Negatives include:
Beds were too soft for my liking
Air con would shut off
Was charged for someone else's breakfast (but this was resolved quickly by front end staff)

Overall it was a basic experience. I'd recommend the hotel if it's where you're crashing out for the night but nothing stellar in the presentation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Hi R1ckyB14,
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor, I appreciate the time you have taken.
I am glad that you enjoyed our location and found it value for money.
Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you next time to Holiday Inn Cairns.
Matt Rippin & Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Would highly recommend the Holiday Inn in Cairns. It's location is perfect walking distance to all restaurants. All staff were lovely and helpful nothing was too much to ask. Even had a microwave brought up to our room.
The buffet breakfast was delicious as well as the restaurant.
Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and have already recommended to several friends.

Stayed April 2014
Hi meld84,
Thank you for your recent review I appreciate the time you have taken to review our great hotel.
Thank you very much for recommending our hotel, we are lucky to be located right on the Esplanade.
Once again thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and we look forward to welcoming you in the near future,
Warm regards,
Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

I was deciding between 2 and 3 stars but really expected the brand to be more than this.

The 2 stars were given for
1) Price - I booked directly from the Holiday Inn website during a promotion and I think the price was decent.
2) The front desk manager / supervisor was kind enough to refund us the $4 we slotted in for the dryer when we had wanted to use the washing machine. The slots were like close even though the machines were on top of one another, and there wasn't any distinction (colors etc) except for the Wording "Dryer" and "Washer". It's us not reading it carefully I admit but we were also told it happened to many other guests so perhaps this is an area for improvement.
3) Nice bed- slept well. Clean room.

What took the other 3 stars away:
1) Musty smell in room when we first checked in - We lodged a complaint with Reception and was told someone from Housekeeping will come by our room but no one did. However the smell did go away after the aircon was switched on for a while. Prob the wet weather but I think someone should air the room prior to the guests' stay? This was salvaged by one of their staff who was working outside, don't think he was from Housekeeping but he was kind enough to help us. Oh, and the aircon will not switch on if you open the door or the windows, and there was no signage or anything, we didn't know till the nice guy told us.
2) Weak weak WIFI in the room-had to stand at the door or keep the door open or stay in the toilet (near the door).
3) I didn't think it was a peak period for travel in Cairns but we had asked for a room with Ocean view upon booking but they gave us something that was facing the hotel next door instead. Sad cause I had indicated that we were honeymooners in our request and guess that wasn't reason enough. But then again, this is subjected to availability so I'd like to give the benefit of doubt that the hotel was indeed full.

We were told by a local this hotel was a little "out-of-the-way" but it wasn't so bad for us, we walked to Cairns Central Shopping Centre quite a couple of times (20 min walk) and it's near to the Esplanade, there's a stretch of restaurants facing the sea just next to the hotel and it's also close to the Cairns Night Market. I believe most of the day tour operators were okay to pick up customers from Holiday Inn Cairns as well.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank slumbers
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Hi slumbers,
Thank you for your recent review. I really appreciate your honesty.
I am glad that you found it good value for money.
I apologise that your stay was not what you had expected. We do try our very best to accommodate guests requests, I am sad that we could not for your stay.
Once again, I really appreciate your honesty and I have passed this onto the appropriate departments to review.
Warm regards,
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our all too short stay of 2 nights in Cairns at the end of March 2014. We were pleased we chose the Holiday Inn with its excellent facilities. Price and location were factors influencing our choice. Located on The Esplanade the hotel is very close to lots of shops and eat houses. We chose a King bedroom with ocean views and were not disappointed. Our first good impression was the no fuss efficiency of the Concierge who delivered our luggage to our room while we waited to check in. The reception staff members were very friendly, helpful and efficient. The breakfast in the dining room was more than adequate. The room service evening meal we had was delivered to our room most efficiently. Nice features for guests to utilize at breakfast were the coffee making machine and fresh fruit juice maker. There is a central atruim with access from the foyer offering a touch of ambience with its tropical vegetation garden and water stream housing some very impressive live barramundi specimens. We were sorry we could not be there for the feeding sessions. The Holiday Inn is a very clean and comfortable hotel and we would recommend it to anyone looking for a good place to bed down for a few days in Cairns whether on business or pleasure.

Room Tip: It's worth enjoying the good views of the ocean by selecting a King room wiuth ocean views.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
HI OrderintheHouse,
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor,
I am glad that you and your wife thoroughly enjoyed your stay here. Our ocean view rooms are by far our most popular and you can see why, the views over the Coral Sea are amazing.
I am also glad to read that you found our team delivered friendly service.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future,
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed two nights in Cairns before heading to Port Douglas. I debated for months on which hotel to choose and am very pleased by my choice! Nothing negative to say and when we first checked in, I was informed that the room was ready but needed to get the feather pillows out of room for me(I am allergic) we were tired after a long flight from the US and they gave us each two free drink tickets for the bar while we waited. The staff was excellent, the beds were comfy, we sat out by the pool one evening and relaxed and walked everywhere even though we had a car. The tour desk in the hotel was very helpful. This hotel is close to night market, Esplanade and ocean. I even walked to the the train station where there is a huge mall and you can catch the train to Kuwanda. We walked to the Pier Bar at the Esplanade and it was happening!!! They have a Friday, Saturday and Sunday special of Brick Oven Pizza's for $5 each! They were excellent! They also have drink specials too... I would stay here again if I venture back to Cairns!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dalestacey
Hi Dalestacey,
Thank you for your recent review, I appreciate the time you have taken. I am glad that you decided to stay with us here.
I am glad that you found our team delivered friendly service, and found our beds comfy. We are very lucky to be located in such a prime position right on the Esplanade, only minutes walk to the Pier.
We hope to welcome you sometime in the near future. Thank you again for your great 5 star review.
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

We just came back from visiting Cairns in March 2014. The hotel is close to the water (within a block) and very close to a lot of local restaurants and shops (also within a block). The rooms were nice and comfortable. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast that we had included in our meal was plentiful, well presented, and a great variety of foods to choose from.

The tour operator, Sue, was very helpful and informative. In fact she went out of her way to help us with a tour (that we booked with our travel agent) that had been accidentally canceled.

I would highly recommend this hotel and I would definitely stay here again if I come back to Cairns.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi elcaskey,
Thank you for your recent review, I appreciate the time you have taken.
I am glad that you enjoyed our location as well as our rooms. I am glad that our team delivered friendly service.
I will pass this onto Sue who will also love to read this.
Thank you again for your review, and we hope to see you next time.
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

We were impressed with the reception service and the room is lovely. Very comfortable bed and a lovely view from our balcony.
Highly recommend staying here. It's not far from bars and restaurants on the Esplanade.
We we're on the 7th (top) floor and every night we were at the same height as all the birds and the bats going home to roost, amazing sight.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Winchy123
Hi Winchy123,
Thank you for your recent review. I appreciate the time you took. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us here and enjoyed the views from your balcony.
If your travels bring you to far North Queensland in the near future, we look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Cairns