“A Great Place to Kick back”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns
Ranked #12 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Tumwater, Washington
“A Great Place to Kick back”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Starting off with the staff, they are 5 star. I walked in 3 hours before check in and asked for and early check in. They had nothing ready for me that met my reservation requirements but they didn't just blow me off. They Immediately started jumping through hoops to get me what I wanted. While we waited we went to the restaurant for an early lunch. We met the nicest waitress, Jovelyn, who was extremely attentive and the food/wine was outstanding.

Once we got checked in, still a couple hours early, we received and upgraded room. Our room had an ocean view, a real ocean view, not just a tiny peephole view, with a real balcony and double sliding glass doors. I travel a lot and most hotels outside the US seem to have pretty small rooms. This one was more than a comfortable size for 2 people.

The hotel is at an excellent location, right across the street form the boardwalk and tons of restaurants in a row within walking distance. If you are doing any organized tours, the tour buses pick up right in front.

The only thing keeping this from being a 5 is, the room could use a little freshening up. It has a couple years on it and it show here and there. During our stay it was always clean and room service did and excellent job. The only other shortfall was the wifi. at least in the room I was in the best I could do was 2 bars. Good enough for emailing but surfing was a bit cumbersome. our mobile devices struggled and mostly failed to connect or maintain a connection.

If I come back I will come to this hotel.

A big thanks to everyone who made this a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Go high and go ocean view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Ahornback,

Thank you for your time to write your review, I greatly appreciate it.

I was extremely pleased to read your review, particularly around the the dedication and work of the front-office team to find you a room for your early arrival. As you noted the team went to great lengths to find you a room, as it is important to us that your holiday begins on the right foot, and I thank you for taking the time to recognise Jovelyn in particular.

I have noted your comments around our WiFi and have passed them onto our Chief Engineer to investigate your room so that we can rectify the issue for future guests. I have also noted your comments around the room itself and am pleased to advise we have recently embarked on a programme to detail the rooms.

Providing excellent guest-service is a key mission for the team here, and it is great to see we delivered above and beyond your expectations, including an upgrade to an Ocean View, and your comments around the room and its amenities are great to read.

Thank you again for your review.

Kind Regards

Matt Rippin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Sun Valley, Idaho
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Holiday Inn is in a good location, easy walk along Esplanade to key spots in Cairns. Rooms, particularly those facing the ocean and on the sunny side are excellent. Beware of low level rooms on shady side, as these have a musty smell, which to some extent is common in tropical settings. We were originally placed in room 202, which was an up grade, but had a very musty smell. The staff moved us to 319, which is on the sunny side facing the ocean and an excellent room. The staff and management is remarkable. Very friendly and accommodating. Probably the very best Holiday Inn staff I have ever experienced any where in the world. Food in restaurant is very good. I would recommend the Cairns Holiday Inn very strongly.

Room Tip: get a room on the sunny to avoid mold/musty smell
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Jim B,

Thank you for your review.

It was very pleasing to read that you rated our staff the best you have experienced at a Holiday Inn, as delivering excellent guest-service is an area of great importance to us.

I have noted your comments around the room you stayed in and passed them onto our Engineering and Housekeeping team for further investigation and action. I am pleased to advise that we have recently embarked on a programme to detail all rooms, and I will ensure your comments are taken into account when this occurs.

Thank you for your recommendation to other travellers, and please let me know if you are returning to Cairns.

Kind Regards

Matt Rippin
Park City, Utah
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

We loved this hotel. The staff was accommodating. Taking our bags and holding onto them because we arrived early. When we finally checked in the bags were waiting for us in our rooms. The hotel is clean and the rooms are great . Location is very central. Across the street from the esplanade. Next door to the RSL to have a cocktail. Wonderful stay

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rudy t
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Hi rudy t,
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.
It is great to read that you enjoy your stay with us here, can’t do better than a 5 star review.
I am glad that you enjoyed our convenient location, we are very lucky to be located in a prime position.
Once again thank you for your great review.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Warm regards
Yeppoon
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I am in the hospitality industry and went to Cairns for a conference on the weekend and was very impressed. The service was fantastic and the food was amazing! The rooms were clean and modern and the location was great!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Natalie S
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Hi Natalie S,
Thank you for your recent feedback, I appreciate the time you have taken to review our hotel.
It is great to read that you enjoyed the food and found our team delivered great service.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Warm regards
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I got a fantastic rate for Holiday Inn and it met all my expectations.

The location is just at the start of the main strip. Not as central as some of the other hotels, but you're no more than a 10-15 minute walk from anywhere you want to go. And some of the nearby restaurants are pretty good.

They gave us a free room upgrade that had a really good view of the ocean and pier. The room itself is slightly dated, but considering when Cairns became a big tourist spot it is not surprising. I believe all the big resorts/hotels would be the same.

Staff were really nice, and cleaners were exceptional. Every time I left the make up room sign on the door it was done even if I was only gone for less than an hour. Even if I just went out for lunch and came back straight after it was done.

They have a small pond with some 24 year old Barramundis. If you stay here I recommend watching one of the feedings. The way they eat is pretty cool. You'll get to feed them too if you are game to risk your fingers.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jason-ASDF
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Hi Jason-ASDF,
Thank you for your great review, I appreciate the time you have taken to write it.
It is great hearing that you enjoyed our location as well as your upgrade; the views over the Coral Sea are beautiful.
The barramundi are so spoilt – you don’t expect them to eat like that until you see it, I always see guests lean in real close and they even get a fright at the noise. They are harmless though and great fun to watch. Barramundi feeding time is always enjoyable.
Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you next time to Holiday Inn Cairns
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We booked a room for our family for four nights over the easter weekend.
The good:
* The "kids stay and eat free" policy certainly helped keep costs down and was a big plus for us
* Terrific location close to restaurants and the esplanade
* If you pre order breakfast the night before you get the full buffet for $17 which is excellent value
* Friendly staff on checkin and in the restaurant (thanks to the waiter who entertained our little girl with the Sydney Opera House napkin folding!)
* Empty mini bar and a bottle shop in the basement means you can stock your mini bar with what you want
* Barramundi pond and lovely landscaping
* Handy coin operated guest laundry at a relatively cheap price
*Extensive breakfast buffet

The not so good:
* We had called and booked an additional night on top of our initial booking but on checking in there was no record of this. We were offered a free breakfast to make up for it but it still left a poor initial impression
* Pool area looking very tired with cracked tiles, and the poolside bar was seemingly never open
* Our room overlooked the side driveway which meant we had no ocean views at all - just a view of next door and of a vista of concrete
* The bedside reading lights ceased to function after the first day. Reported it to maintenance and was told there was nobody available to fix it. End of story. (What??) The toilet also ran continuously during our stay - again reported it to maintenance - told it had been fixed but it continued to run.
* The gymnasium while small was functional with bicycles, treadmills and a cable machine but for some reason there are no dumbbells??

Admittedly none of these were a deal breaker but they still left an overall sense of a downer - kind of like experiencing a few bars of heavy metal in the middle of Mozart.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room if possible
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ThatTownsvilleMob
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Hi 900JenM,
Thank you for your in depth review, I appreciate the time you have taken, as I am sure many other travellers will too.
It is great to read that you found the Kids Stay and Eat Free to be great value as well as our convenient location and barramundi pond.
I apologise that there was a misunderstanding regarding your additional nights stay, as well as the bedside reading light, I assure you it’s never end of story when a guest experiences a problem big or small with their room, I do apologise that these issues were not rectified during your stay.
We do hope to see you again in the near future.
Once again I really appreciate your honesty and the time you have taken.
P.S: I am off to the restaurant to see the making of the napkin Opera House! Talented staff!
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Lovely location. Close to everything, but just far enough away so nice and quiet for a good nights sleep. The room was light, bright and spacious. The bathroom was very small, but clean and practical. Beds comfortable and room clean. Staff friendly and helpful, good value and I would use this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hi Debbie M,
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor, I am glad that you enjoyed our great location as well as our bright spacious rooms.
We hope to welcome you back to Holiday Inn Cairns in the near future