“Great Location”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns
Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 19 May 2014

If the location wasn't so great, I probably would have given the hotel an average review. That being said, with the exception of the airport, everything I planned on doing and wanted to see was withing walking distance of the hotel. The marina is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel, also plenty of shops and restaurants close by.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Penny, at the front desk, made the check in process a breeze. I had an early morning flight into Cairns, and they had a room ready for me several hours before normal check in.

I wasn't overly impressed with the rooms, but they sufficed for the short time I spent there.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Jim Z,

Thank you for your review.

Firstly I appreciate the generous comments around our team-members, and your particular note around Penny, and I will be sure to pass these on. Providing excellent guest-service is the driving motivation for our team here, and I'm pleased to see we achieved this with your stay.

The location, as you have mentioned, is ideal, and is certainly within walking distance to the CBD and amenities. I hope you took the opportunity to stroll along the Esplanade.

Thank you again, and please let me know when you plan to return.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

this hotel is located along the Esplanade, and it makes it so easy to go anyway.
We walked to the wharf for our trip to Great Barrier Reef.

But our experience will be perfect if it is without this group of rowdy teenagers that made fun of us in the lift. They seems to be high on drugs or alcohol

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank etan3

Dear Etan3,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I was disappointed to read that you did not have a pleasant experience from other guests in the hotel. As you can imagine we go to great lengths to ensure everyone has an enjoyable stay at the hotel, and if you ever do not have a good experience please notify the Duty Managers immediately so that we can address this.

Please let me know when you next visit Cairns.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Ended our backpacking trip here so upgraded to ocean front view. Did NOT disappoint. Nice size, decent beds, view amazing. All the staff was extremely polite and the restaurant food was great (expensive) but great. Wifi sucks and not included in your room. Close to a great strip of restaurants and bars and about 5-10 minute walk to the marina

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Ch3llo,

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel, from rooms to staff to food, it is important that we deliver a memorable experience to all our guests, and it is great to read we achieved this.

With regards to our WiFi I have made note of your issues and passed this on to our Chief Engineer to investigate. You may not be aware, but anyone joining IHG Rewards Club (our free loyalty programme) receives complimentary internet at any of our 4,600 hotels worldwide (amongst many other benefits), and I would highly recommend you join the next time you stay at one of our properties.

Thank you again for your generous comments.

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Nice, if not small, rooms. Has a small gym and a laundry room, which is always nice.

But the wifi is incredibly complicated to log in to and IS NOT INCLUDED WITH YOUR ROOM (15 AUD/hour). Seriously Holiday Inn, get a grip. You might be lucky enough to see the lobby network from your room, which is gratis for guests, but it's very temperamental.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sam H

Dear Sam H,

Thank you for your review.

I was disappointed to hear that you experienced difficulties in using our WiFi, and I have passed your details onto our Chief Engineer to investigate the room you were in and rectify.

With regards to the price, if you enroll with IHG Rewards Club (IHG's free loyalty programme), which can be done at the hotel or online, you are entitled to receive free WiFi at any of IHG's 4,600 hotels worldwide, and this is one of many other benefits you receive.

Please do let me know if you are returning to Cairns.

Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is great and I'd definitely stay again. The room was great, wonderful bed! The staff were great and breakfast was a full buffet of very good quality. The hotel is basically on the esplanade and within very easy walking distance of plenty of eateries and entertainment spots.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear John4017,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

The feedback you have provided is wonderful, and I will be sharing your generous comments with the team. The beds are indeed excellent, and of vital importance to ensuring you have a great stay. Likewise we put tremendous effort into providing a great breakfast buffet every morning so our guests can have the best start to their day.

Thank you again, and please let me know when you are returning to Cairns.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We arrived early due to our red eye flight and our room was available within 30 minutes of arriving at the hotel. Room was perfect, cleaned everyday and we never had any problems with noise. Location perfect on the esplanade 5 mins walk away from marina, lagoon,cafes shops etc. RSL is next door and is great for lovely cheap meals and drinks. Laundry and ice machines are available on floors 3 & 5 ice is free and rooms are supplied with ice buckets. Tour desk was of great help for our trip to Kuranda and planned everything for us which made the day perfect. Definitely will be back as we fell in love with Cairns and Holiday Inn will see us again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mabarn

Dear Michbarn,

Thank you for your kind review, it was very pleasing to read.

Providing outstanding guest-service is at the forefront of everything we do at the Holiday Inn, and IHG, and I was extremely pleased to see that we achieved this during your stay, and I have shared your review with the team. Our location, as you mentioned, is ideal for a trip to Cairns, and I'm glad you utilised our guest laundry, which is an excellent facility for any traveller.

Thank you again, and please do let me know if you visit Cairns again.

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

We had an excellent two nights at the Holiday Inn. The room was clean, modern and had all the amenities we expected. The staff were extremely friendly, and accommodating. Only negative I can think of, is the bathrooms are a bit small! Otherwise, it's a perfect stay.
Location is great, and although we didn't try any of the food options - we would have loved to.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Dennis

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it is greatly appreciated.

It was excellent to see that we made your stay memorable and enjoyable, two of the key goals the team have at the at Holiday Inn, as we want everyone to have the best stay in Cairns possible.

As you mentioned our rooms are to a very high standard, something we pride ourselves on, and the team here take great pride in delivering excellent guest-service.

Next time you stay you'll have to try the food (!), so please let me know when you're coming in.