“Quiet nice”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns
Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We really enjoyed our stay. Nice clean rooms. Prefer separate shower, sucks stepping into a bath. Great location. Yummy breakfast and worth ringing reception to book breakfast in and getting a discount instead of walking into the restaurant. (Tip to save you a few bucks). They should really let you know this at check in. One of the waiters had really bad bo and it was only 8.00am, which was pretty grose and you could smell it from three tables away. Pool was small and too cold to swim in which was a little disappointing but all up I would stay again as staff were quiet pleasant, nice and clean and close to everything.

Room Tip: Book in your breaky to save a buck through reception.
2  Thank Chrissyjim
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Chrissyjim,

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and our excellent location, and it was good to read that our team provided you with a high level of service.

I have noted your comments around the breakfast and have passed them onto our Food and Beverage Manager for investigation and action.

Thank you again, and hope to see you again in the future.

Matt Rippin

Write a ReviewReviews (2,310)

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed @ the Holiday Inn Cairns unexpectedly as was late for a connecting flight to Brisbane (After starting my day at 3am! and three flights). So the airline responsible paid for my accommodation and dinner as a disrupted passenger. All the HI staff that I came into contact with (front desk, restaurant and house keeping) were very friendly, warm and met all my requests. I didn't have a tooth brush and as it was late in the night they gave me a complimentary one - Exemplary service. Ate at the restaurant to the left of reception and because it was so late just had a Caesar salad which was fresh and tasty with a great bottle of red also. My room faced the road towards the mountains but was quite and relatively clean. My only criticism would be the lifts and walkways are looking a little tied and could do with a refurbishment. Hotel was quite for a Friday night and bed/sleep quality was also excellent. Hotel is in a central location which is an easy walk to the main shops, Casino etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the sea side (Esplanade) for better views.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Dukduk2013
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Dear Dukduk2013,

Thank you for your review.

It was a great to read that after a long and trying day for you (and sorry to hear that), our team provided you with warm and friendly service, and that you had an enjoyable dinner in the evening. It is so important to us that everyone staying at our hotel has a great time, whatever their situation, and I have shared your comments to the team as the perfect example.

I have noted your feedback regarding the lifts and walkways and passed it onto our Chief Engineer for review.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is a great hotel with really nice staff who were really friendly. The hotel itself was value for money and really close to the restaurants and shops on the Esplanade. The hotel is built in a round design with glass elevators which was really interesting.

1  Thank Jane M

Dear Pjm2314,

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read your feedback around our team here at the hotel, as we want every guest to have the best experience possible, and it's great to see that you had this.

The hotel's location is ideal, as you point out, being a three minute walk into the main CBD area, but away from the noise in the city centre.

Thank you again, and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I highly recommend the Holiday Inn. Very central, great views, clean rooms and reasonably priced. I love how you can choose a specific pillow you like. The restaurant was great. We dined twice dinner and breakfast and loved both times.

3  Thank Sparkles02
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Sparkles02,

Great to hear from you.

Thank you for recommending us as a place to stay, to us that is the highest praise anyone can give, and we want all of our guests to leave the hotel wanting to do so.

The pillow menu is fantastic, and so important to having a good night's sleep, just as having a great breakfast is to having the best start to your day, and it's pleasing to read that you had both of those.

Thanks again, and please let me know when you're next in town.

Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Stated 2 nights. Are at the sirocco restaurant which served great quality food and staff were genuinely friendly. Buffet breakfast was good coffee best we had on the north coast. Rooms were spacious and comfortable with fast wifi. Overall 8/10.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Robert G

Dear Robert,

Great to hear from you and thanks for taking the time.

Fantastic to read how enjoyable your stay was, and your feedback on our Sirocco restaurant is most welcome, as we've just updated all of the menus for a la carte dining. Our buffet breakfast is definitely one of the best in Cairns, and it's great to see that our team provided you with genuine friendly service, something we strive for.

Thanks again.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

four of us checked in at 11am, our rooms were both ready which was great, we all work at the intercontinental in melbourne and we were all very impressed with the service and how polite and friendly everyone was. We ordered room service many times over the 4 days and it was great couldnt fault anything. great stay...see u again guys

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank michael f

Dear Michael,

Thanks for your review.

Great to see that we were able to provide you with an excellent stay, and that our team provided you with the level of service expected from our guests, it is a core focus of all the team here. I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed the room service menu, as we have recently changed it, and our Head Chef took great care in designing it.

Thanks again, and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We traveled all over New Zealand and Australia for 6 weekes staying at many different hotels. The Holiday Inn in Cairnes is the worst Hotel we stayed in. We tried two rooms and both were very musty and damp. I asked for a dehumidifier or air purifier to be placed in our room at 7 30 am to see if the air quality would improve. When we returned to our room at 6 pm the room smelled the same and everything in my suitcase was damp. I called again and this time they brought up am air purifier and left it in our room until we returned at 9 pm. No improvement. We have a balcony but there is no screen on the door so I am not comfortable leaving the door opened all night. We will be checking out in the morning and I hope I will not have to wash everything in my suitcase when we get to our next Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Lorraine Y

Dear Lorraine,

Thank you for your review, I appreciate your taking the time.

I was naturally disappointed to read that you did not have an enjoyable experience whilst staying with us, as this is very unusual for our hotel.

I have brought this review to the attention of our Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer for immediate investigation and to create an action plan to address the issues you have raised. We have recently embarked on a programme to detail all our accommodation rooms, and I will ensure your comments are taken into account.

Thank you again for this review.