“Nice hotel at a perfect location”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns
Ranked #11 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
“Nice hotel at a perfect location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We were 2 families of 4 adults & 3 children who went to Cairns. We had booked on the internet. They were prompt to allow us an early checkin with additional request of adjoining rooms though we reached at 11 am for a 2 pm checkin time.

The hotel has nice rooms with a central courtyard full of greenery. They have a crocodile in the same & they have a fish feeding at a particular times - we unfortunately missed it.The service was good.

The travel desk though helpful charged much more than was the going rate for our Karunda village trip.

The location is perfect to walk down to the port for sailing to Greet Barrier Reef & the market.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Argarg76,

Thank you for your review.

I'm glad to read that you had an enjoyable trip whilst in Cairns, especially when travelling with three children, and what a shame you missed the fish feeding (you'll just have to come back!). Also just a quick note that we don't actually have a real crocodile in the pond - might be a bit dangerous - it's a floating head to help deter bird activity.

Our location is perfect as you mentioned, a short stroll to everything, and I was pleased to see our team were able to assist you with an early check-in and interconnecting rooms. Our mission is to ensure you have the best stay possible.

Matt Rippin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

The sunday tour desk attendent who launched an outright attack on me when I asked simply asked "what we should do in the wet weather while in Cairns." Response was. "I cant control the weather. .what you do is your decision..Im sick of people asking that question. Why don't you just stay in your room, is that what you want me to tell you. .etc..a full on rant ensued and I just walked off shocked..as did the two people waiting behind me. She was the rudest woman I have ever met in hospitality. The hotel was great rooms fine but all tained by how I was shouted at for no reason by this strange strange woman.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Phil085
Dear Phil085,

Thank you for your review.

I was extremely disappointed to read that you had an unpleasant experience with the tour desk, and I feel it important to note that it is run by an external company to the Holiday Inn and IHG. Having said that I have noted your comments and will speak directly with the General Manager of the company so that they can investigate and take necessary action.

Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

I did not get a booking for all 3 days of my stay at Cairns - however managed a booking for the last day. Though the property is huge - it was completely booked. It is a great value for money and offers international standard facilities - which is a comfort since you do not know the location too well and may end up with a boutique hotel which has restricted faciliites. The breakfast spread was good and the staff couteous. There is free wifi in the rooms. The hotel is located just a block away from the night market and main promenade. Will go back again if I visit Cairns.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sarita2
Dear Sarita2,

Great to hear from you.

Thanks for your wonderful comments, I will be sharing them with the team here, as it's thanks to them your stay was enjoyable. I noted you received free WiFi in you room which means you must be an IHG Rewards Club member, so thank you for your support and loyalty to IHG.

Most pleasing is the fact that you would stay here again, and for the team here that is the best accolade we can receive, so please let me know if you're ever in town again.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Coming back from Cape Trib and a 6400km Road trip, We just wanted a quick and easy place to book on LastMinute.

For $130, We got a King size bed, On Level 2, Facing the Bay. We booked around Lunch and 10 minutes later we had the card to our room.

The Staff were very friendly and helpful, More than most Hotel staff you come across! Central garden was beautiful and the general areas were all spotless.

The room was just beautiful. Clean, New furnishings, Bathroom was clean... Bed was very comfy and well worth the $130 we paid.

Being that it was such a last minute decision to stay and book on LastMinute, We were very happy with these guys. Will definitely stay again in the future!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room on the Boulevard!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank J0shwa
Dear J0shwa,

Thanks for your review and taking the time.

6400km road trip! I'm exhausted just thinking about it! Congratulations on what must have been an incredible journey and thank you for letting us be a part of it!

Great to read how much you enjoyed your stay (and I'm sure you stayed at a few places on your adventure), and your comments around the team were fantastic, providing excellent service is one of our driving forces here at the hotel.

If you ever make it up this way again (perhaps flying next time), please let me know.

Mooroopna
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We really enjoyed our stay. Nice clean rooms. Prefer separate shower, sucks stepping into a bath. Great location. Yummy breakfast and worth ringing reception to book breakfast in and getting a discount instead of walking into the restaurant. (Tip to save you a few bucks). They should really let you know this at check in. One of the waiters had really bad bo and it was only 8.00am, which was pretty grose and you could smell it from three tables away. Pool was small and too cold to swim in which was a little disappointing but all up I would stay again as staff were quiet pleasant, nice and clean and close to everything.

Room Tip: Book in your breaky to save a buck through reception.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chrissyjim
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Chrissyjim,

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and our excellent location, and it was good to read that our team provided you with a high level of service.

I have noted your comments around the breakfast and have passed them onto our Food and Beverage Manager for investigation and action.

Thank you again, and hope to see you again in the future.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed @ the Holiday Inn Cairns unexpectedly as was late for a connecting flight to Brisbane (After starting my day at 3am! and three flights). So the airline responsible paid for my accommodation and dinner as a disrupted passenger. All the HI staff that I came into contact with (front desk, restaurant and house keeping) were very friendly, warm and met all my requests. I didn't have a tooth brush and as it was late in the night they gave me a complimentary one - Exemplary service. Ate at the restaurant to the left of reception and because it was so late just had a Caesar salad which was fresh and tasty with a great bottle of red also. My room faced the road towards the mountains but was quite and relatively clean. My only criticism would be the lifts and walkways are looking a little tied and could do with a refurbishment. Hotel was quite for a Friday night and bed/sleep quality was also excellent. Hotel is in a central location which is an easy walk to the main shops, Casino etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the sea side (Esplanade) for better views.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Dukduk2013
Matt R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear Dukduk2013,

Thank you for your review.

It was a great to read that after a long and trying day for you (and sorry to hear that), our team provided you with warm and friendly service, and that you had an enjoyable dinner in the evening. It is so important to us that everyone staying at our hotel has a great time, whatever their situation, and I have shared your comments to the team as the perfect example.

I have noted your feedback regarding the lifts and walkways and passed it onto our Chief Engineer for review.

Thank you once again.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is a great hotel with really nice staff who were really friendly. The hotel itself was value for money and really close to the restaurants and shops on the Esplanade. The hotel is built in a round design with glass elevators which was really interesting.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pjm2314
Dear Pjm2314,

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read your feedback around our team here at the hotel, as we want every guest to have the best experience possible, and it's great to see that you had this.

The hotel's location is ideal, as you point out, being a three minute walk into the main CBD area, but away from the noise in the city centre.

Thank you again, and hope to see you again.