“Surprisingly good stay and perfect location”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns
Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Cairns for 3 days last March, when we visited the Great Barrier Reef on our Around The World trip. Coming from Chicago, we thought about staying up the coast a bit in one of the resorts. But then looked at the time we would spend and cost of transit back and forth between the marina and the resort (and the restaurants and the resort) and decided to stay near the marina. This property is located at one end of the esplanade, and it was a good location for us. Plenty of restaurants very close by, just a few minutes walk down the esplanade. The marina is across the street, with a very large public pool in the park just before the marina. There were a lot of good reviews for this property, so we decided to give it a try. We were not disappointed. The service was excellent, and it did not feel like a typical U.S. Holiday Inn. There is a good sized outdoor pool, and I liked the atrium with the large fish in the courtyard ponds. The lobby and lobby bar were fine, and there is a great evening happy hour. We booked a king room and our room was on about the third floor, and had a great view of the lagoon. We are loyalty club members, and that includes free wifi. I did have some trouble connecting to the Internet, and worked with the outsourced help desk. There was a bit of back and forth, and when I complained to the front desk, they upgraded our wifi to a higher level and it worked well. The team was very responsive and friendly. Matt RIppin was an excellent host. We met at the evening happy hour which is a very nice touch. In short, comfortable room, great location for us, and reasonably priced. I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room at the front of the hotel overlooking the lagoon.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
HICAIRNS2014, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Dear Matt,

Firstly thank you for loyalty to the Holiday Inn family brand and for taking the time to write a review.

Great to hear we exceeded your expectations. The Holiday Inn Cairns has a great reputation.

We are fortunate to be located right outside the Esplanade where you can locate amenities and popular attractions.

Our staff here love to go that extra mile for our guests so I’m pleased they were of great service to you.

Hope to have you stay with us again.

Matt Rippin

Write a ReviewReviews (2,326)

Reviewed 20 August 2014

A large number of rooms in this hotel overlook a back delivery area. This zone seems to be extremely noisy from 7am to midday. There is a laundry delivery truck which arrives about 10.30am which toots about seven times to let folks know it is there. If you arrive on an early flight this is very annoying.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank James N
HICAIRNS2014, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear James N,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recently stay at the Holiday Inn Cairns.

Sorry to hear that you had an uncomfortable stay due to the noise outside the hotel.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations, your comments are very important to us.

If there are any issues with noise or anything to do with your room please advise our friendly staff. They will accommodate you the best they can.

We would like further information on your stay, if you could please email admin@holidayinncairns.com.au.

Hope to have you stay with us again

Reviewed 19 August 2014

At one end of the Esplanade, good location, easy walking distance to main Cairns town area.
Walk to main Pier for cruises less than 15 mins, walk to Myer and Cairns Central 20 mins.

Room good size, with nice sized balcony. Little busy with traffic sound, but always to be expected if staying somewhere centrally.

Free wifi if you join their club, great option.

Experienced very good customer service on my recent 6 day stay with front desk and room service. Had small maintenance issue which was fixed immediately.

'Take away' food delivered to the room from the hotel kitchen was the only disappointment.
Only had the one meal and it turned me off ordering again.

Overall for facilities, nice pool area and fabulous gardens..well priced.

Room Tip: If traffic noise will bother you check with the hotel for appropriate room. My view was worth putti...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
HICAIRNS2014, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear CherieJC,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the hotel.

Good to see you enjoyed our central location and room views. Guests love that about us. You can always rely on us for a comfy and clean stay.

Sorry to hear you were disappointed with the room service, we do apologise. I assure you this is not our usual standard.

Please do let our front desk staff know if you have any issues. They will be more than happy to help. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and your comments are very important to us.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and hope to have you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We booked a day use room at the Holiday inn and they gave us a deal of $95 for a twin room, all we needed to use the room for was luggage storage and shower facilities. The outdoor pool area is great with an outdoor spa. Very close to shops and the Lagoon where we spent our Sunday before we flew out. The Porter who was working on Monday 18th August (Day shift) was very helpful and had exceptional customer service!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Peter J,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Cairns and for taking the time to write us a review on Tripadvisor.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that we provided you with great service, your feedback is important to us.

Great to see you enjoyed our facilities and the surrounding area of the hotel. We are lucky to be located right outside the Esplanade.

Hope to have you stay with us again soon from Sydney!

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

I visited here with my 85yp mother for her holiday. She is not mobile.
Disabled room was not available due to my late booking. I thought here we go.
Breakfast included a decent range of soft foods due to here diet. The range for regular people was very good.
Shower-they provided us a plastic chair so she can still safely have a bath-excellent.
Food-there was not a lot of soft foods on the menu. So the chef made to order non season soup for her or mash/mushrooms/gravy delivered to her room for a good price.
The staff were overall excellent and very helpful.
Nice place.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Greg S

Dear Greg S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

Great to hear the staff accommodated the best they could for your mother so that she could have an enjoyable stay.

The staff here are always very helpful and friendly. They like to go that extra mile for guests where they can.

Hope to have you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We booked a premier king room with sea view and enjoyed staying there. Its not flash but it is a very good Holiday Inn. The room was a good size and the bed was very comfortable. The best part was the balcony and the view. We got there after 11pm and could only get a room on the 3rd floor but it was still a great view.
Bathroom is fine, good toiletries but nothing flash.
Location was towards the end of town but across from the boardwalk and we enjoyed a sunrise walk every morning (thanks to the time difference to NZ it still felt like a lie in and an early morning walk!).
The fridge was a good size, TV was good and there was a good size desk and armchair.
Overall a solid stay, great views and nice location and we enjoyed the pool and a walk down to the various restaurants (there are lots within easy walking distance). I joined the hotel groups loyalty scheme before I left home and got free wifi while we were there. I booked directly and it was the best rate I could find at the time.
Well done Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Go for the sea view premier king room if you can afford the extra $, it was lovely
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
HICAIRNS2014, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear HughesChristchurch,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

Glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us.

Great to hear you can count on us for a reliable and comfortable stay, your feedback means a lot.

We are lucky to be located just outside the Cairns Esplanade with the great weather you can enjoy a scenic stroll and get to amenities and stores.

It is a great time of year to visit Cairns with the great sunny weather and minimal humidity so an ocean view room is definitely worth it.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and it would be an honour to have you stay with us again.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

My goodness..... after the crappy review I wrote about Hotel Cairns last week, all I had to do was cross the road and I would have been in heaven...

So, last week (look it up) I was really not happy with H.C. I could not have believed it was possible to have chalk and cheese inside 7 days. I am a local and once a week, I find a place to go for breakfast and then I get on here and moan about it.

Last week cost me $20 each for two of us and I wrote a really bad trippy about it I was so disappointed and I don't normally write stuff on T.A This week at the Holiday Inn it was $25 (less 20% locals discount).... Well, flip me over, I'm done !!! There were pastries, two types of sausages, two types of eggs, 5 types of bread, muffins, english muffins (yes there is a difference). There were two types of bacon, all the cereal, fresh fruit, cold meats as well as a large array of hot breakfasty food... and the coffee !!!! REAL !!!.... Jovelyn at the register was so friendly, 3 different staff came to make sure we were happy and took any plates, the toaster cooked the toast, the chicken and herb sausages were awesome and ALL the staff were so nice. Geez, if only the H.C. would send their chefs, waiters, checkout chicks, managers and maybe the owner, across the road they would see how it should be done.....

Left feeling so happy and full and it was a very, very pleasant experience. I really can't express how great a breakfast it was. No, they ain't payin' me :) It was just that I had such a bad experience for the same money elsewhere. Holiday Inn, I will see you next Saturday :)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cairns0987

Dear Cairns0987,

Thank you for taking the time to write Holiday Inn Cairns a review.

Great to hear you thoroughly enjoyed our fantastic buffet breakfast. It’s is good to hear from a local. We have had wonderful feedback on our buffet breakfast; it’s a favourite with our international and local guests.

Pleased to hear that we also provided you with friendly service, it is something we take great pride in. I will pass your compliment to Jovelyn, she is a great asset to the team.

Hope to have you dine and stay with us again.