“Carins Austraila”

Ranked #12 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
College Station, Texas
“Carins Austraila”
Reviewed 3 January 2009

We arrived late at night and were not in a fit state to really enjoy this hotel. The hotel room was big and airy, and also very clean. The only problem with the room was that the entrance to the bathroom was raised above floor level and I kept stubbing my toe on the lip. I woke up in the morning to birds chirping outside the window. Since I an a bird lover I was thrilled! Every morning I would walk next to the ocean and see more birds than I would at the average zoo. The breakfast buffet was quite nice and featured Japanese and "American" food. The concierge service was nice and they turned us onto some nice Great Barrier Reef cruises like Sunlover. I really liked this hotel and would strongly recommend it.

• Liked — Birds chirping outside the window in the morning, Boardwalk, Close to boat terminal
  • Disliked — Lip at the bathroom entrance
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
HICairns, Paul McMurray - Business Development Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 12 January 2009
Dear Guest, Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Cairns and for taking the time to pass on your positive feedback. I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay despite being very tired.

I definitely agree with you that walking along the Esplanade in the morning is great and the number of birds out at that time is just fantastic.

I was also glad that you enjoyed the high level of service and product, from our staff and your breakfast each morning. This feedback will be passed on to the team. I will also pass on to our maintenance team your feedback regarding the raised step between the bathroom and the bedroom.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back hopefully in the very near future when you are next in Australia and Cairns.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
New Zealand
Reviewed 30 December 2008

Another great Holiday Inn. Great Location - very easy to access to everything in Cairns. Excellent food. Excellent Room. I picked a Ocean View room and this was worth it as the view from the balcony was excellent. Pool also very good.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank NZ01
HICairns, Paul McMurray - Business Development Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 2 January 2009
Dear Guest,

I am glad to read that you so enjoyed your stay and you were able to take advantage of the location, food and view the hotel has to offer.

We pride ourselves for being highly commended for our high level of service and product which you were able to experience.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Cairns on your next visit to Cairns.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2008

Stayed here for 4 nights in November 2008 as part of a month long trip around Australia and New Zealand. Managed to get a good rate at this hotel by booking well in advance but I was a little anxious after reading the reviews on here about the quality of the hotel but I shouldn't have worried.

We were met by the porter on arrival and I was initially impressed by the lobby area. As I have a platinum Priority Club card my room was upgraded to a high floor room with a nice view free of charge. Not all hotels do this and I was more than happy with the room I was given for the price paid. The bathroom had obviously been recently refurbished but the rest of the room could do with a slight refresh but nothing too urgent. The view was of the mountains in the distance, waterfront and cairns itself and was very nice.

I've previously stayed at the Shangri-La hotel in Cairns which is much more expensive but I'd say the location here is almost as good as it's not right in the centre of town which gets pretty hectic. It's only a 5 minute walk away though.

The pool area is also nice if not a little too small (loungers frequently taken) but the major downside here is the building works going on right next to it. I couldn't see or hear this from my room but I'm sure plenty of the other rooms could.

Couldn't fault the staff here: the night shift manager was great as were the front desk staff and the maids. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again in the future.

• Liked — Views, price
  • Disliked — Building site next to it
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank liamuk2
HICairns, Paul McMurray - Business Development Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 23 December 2008
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback we really do appreciate the time you have taken to pass on your experience.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed your upgrade to a high floor room. As you mentioned the lobby and bathroom have all been refurbished. This work was all part of a multi million dollar refurbishment which included a upgrade of all the guest rooms bathrooms to feature a new contemporary modern bathroom. Together with the updated bathrooms also saw a full refresh of the hotels exterior and redesign of the lobby and restaurant. This has enhanced the arrival experience and ambiance of the hotel by using contemporary decor and modern furniture.

We pride ourselves for being highly commended for our high level of service and value for money that I am glad that you were able to see this with your experience in our staff being the night shift manager, front desk staff and our room attendance, plus with your overall experience at the hotel.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel hopefully in the near future.
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 16 December 2008

This was a stopover location and I didn't expect much however we arrived early after an overnight flight and were allowed to book in several hours before usual so we could freshen up and get out on a trip to the mountains.

We had panoramic views of the mountains and a large spacious airy room. The grounds are great with a rainforest feel and ornamental ponds.

We even got a complimentary bottle of champers!!!

Stayed November 2008
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Cairns and for taking the time to pass on your positive feedback. I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay, the view from your room , champers and we were able to meet your requirements of a early check in.

I hope that you next visit to Cairns will be a little longer than a stopover and we look forward to welcoming you back hopefully in the very near future.
Sydney
Reviewed 8 December 2008

We were told that we would have to pay $40 extra to have a room away from the swearing, jackhammers, hammering and sawing next door. The manager told us that the hotel could not control what happens outside the hotel. Fair enough, but neither can we.

• Liked — Location and ocean view
  • Disliked — Construction noise
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wolin
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write of your feedback. Kindly accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. The building work next door is a construction of a luxury apartment block which has had some delays in the completion. Your feedback on the construction site will be followed up with the company to ensure that the hours of work are in-line with the expected working hours. The great news is that the building is in the final stages on completion.

Your impression of the hotel is vital in helping us provide the highest level of service to which we are committed. Please accept my apology for your recent stay.
Sydney
Reviewed 13 October 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a week in september. Overall I enjoyed my stay here. The staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful with any questions. On arrival the porter was there to get my bags and even though i was a few hours early i was able to check in straight away

The room was neat and tidy had a great view out onto the esplanade and the balcony. The bathroom was nice and suitable for my needs

The breakfast and dinner buffet were excellent. There was also plenty of restaurants a short walk away on the esplande.

The staff at the tour desk were quite helpful in organising a few things for me to do on my spare days.

On my last day my flight didnt leave till evening and i was able to organise to leave my bags there for the day at no cost which i found convenient

• Liked — the location
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank sydgal87
HICairns, Paul McMurray - Business Development Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 15 October 2008
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback and I appreciate the time you have taken to pass on your experience. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and you were able to take advantage of the location and the service the hotel provides our guests.

We pride ourselves for being highly commended for our high level of service and product and I am glad that you were able to see this with your experience in our staff and restaurant. This feedback will be passed on to the team.

Devon
Reviewed 17 August 2008

Cairns is fantastic anyway, but when we arrived the hotel staff were very helpful and had plenty of smiles. We asked for a free upgrade to sea view room, and got one at a small fee. Looked out over esplanade and RSL. Large clean room, absolutely loved it here. Staff throughout hotel were good, and breakfast was excellent

• Liked — Its location
  • Disliked — The laundry room
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank OzfanDevon
HICairns, Paul McMurray - Business Development Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 20 August 2008
Dear Guest, Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Cairns and for taking the time to pass on your positive feedback. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to make the most of the view from your room.

We pride ourselves for our high level of service and of which you experience from the staff and this feedback will be passed on to the team.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back hopefully in the very near future.