“great location”

Ranked #12 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Brisbane, Australia
“great location”
Reviewed 17 May 2010

Good hotel and a great location, close to the city centre and eating areas.
Free secure parking was a bonus.
Rooms generous size and comfortable with all the amenities you would expect from a Holiday Inn.
Staff very friendly and helpful.
Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Missy601

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 May 2010

There is an underground car park which is free
The rooms have all just been done up, i was on the sixth floor with the view of the hotel next door. The roome had two good sized double beds, a tiny hairdryer, but good toiltieries. the shower was good, and there was internet and cable, the air con was quite.

There is a restaurant attached, which i didnt eat in but was busy when i was there, The bar serves a variety of beers and stays open late, the lobby is spacious with table and chairs out side.

I like best its central, cheap 117 a night, car parking is included.

the service is OK they dont go out of there way to help you. Ie, $5 to print off one sheet of paper in there very slow and old business centre and the mini bar was empty. I would recommend for cheap and clean and central accomodation.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 May 2010

We stayed in holiday inn cairns for 1 day in early may,
I had came in overseas before my partner on a 10 hours over night flight and was pretty knackered so it was great that holiday inn allowed me to check in early as I thought I could catch up on some decent sleep before my boyfriend arrived.

checked into the room, it wasn't brand spanking new with an old television, rusty in some places ( with a nice ocean view though ) but all I really care for was the clean beds and bathrooms that I've known holiday inn for.

however, that's pretty much where the good part of our stay ended.
I tried to get some sleep at about 10am, however, little did I know, the room right above us was under going renovation and it was just fantastic having a drill going off on you every 20minutes.
tried to call the reception and asked them if they could help out/do something to help out like move us elsewhere. all that was offered was a pair of cheap ear plugs that barely drown out any noise and was told that they were allowed to drill from 10am to 5pm.

however, about 8.30 am in the morning the next day renovation work has already started and drilling was going full force at 9am. which effectively managed to drive us out of the room by 10am.

if that's how holiday inn intends to get their guests to check out early, I'd say they're doing a pretty good job about it.

we understand that renovation noises are unavoidable but holiday inn could have at least stuck to the hours of work they have told us, or understand that no decent customer would want to pay to sleep right under a construction site.
for $130 a night, it's decent but not worth the headache.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Speliix
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 April 2010

My wife and I stayed for a week in April, the room had everything we needed including a safe. The breakfast at $19.50 was very good value when you consider all the courses you can have, we had one breakfast in a restuarant in the town which cost more for one course and coffee. Then we had dinner very near the hotel. Prawns were $21.50 and my wife left some they were that bad. The Holiday Inn for the same course was $ 17.00 and they were great. You could walk from the Hotel to all the cafes, pool, boats,mall, and the bus stopped right outside if you fancied a ride. Bill B.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BillyBoy21
gandhinagar
Reviewed 12 April 2010

Hotel Was Nice Spacious,Trendy,Beautiful,Amiazing,Worth Visiting.

Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank cinemaxGandhinagar
Wellington NZ
Reviewed 7 April 2010

Looks nice from outside, but unfortunately the inside is very very tired, they do have a notice in the rooms to say that they are refurbishing however I donnot think that any hotel in which you are paying 130AUS per night should ever have got sooo run down. The rooms are small, we had a deluxe King room with ocean view, If that was a deluxe I'm glad I wasn't in a regular room. The duvet cover came out of the ark! the curtains were old and smelly and the carpet was atrocious. Yes I realise that things do age however there is no need for poor quality linen and pillows, the pillows obviously have NOT been deodorised for some time as were very pungeant. Would not recommend this hotel for the price

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RubyWellingtonNZ
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 29 March 2010

I stayed 2 nights in March 2010 at this hotel. There is ongoing ground-floor construction, and while most of it is invisible to the eye it is clearly disturbing to the ears during daytime hours. I had a ground-floor room, and while I ended up receiving a disabled room (even through I am not) I received a splendid view of a wall of lilacs butressing a 2x2 meter private courtyard, with car traffic directly on the other side (sarcasm intended). Try for a higher floor and an ocean view.

You really can't beat the location. Cairns' CBD is probably only 6 to 8 blocks square so everything is essentially within walking distance. It's a 10 minute walk to the public lagoon (swimming pool) with a magnificent view of the Coral Sea, the marina is also nearby. You can also head into town where there's plenty of restaurants, shops, convenience stores, and even a 4 screen movie theatre to spend your money at. I was planning to do a diving liveaboard on a boat for the next 3 days, so I wasn't looking to hang around the hotel or CBD all that much. There is a bottleshop at ground level attached to the hotel, however you can get cheaper prices in town or even at the convenience store only 2 blocks away.

I'll let my fellow posters comment on the pool areas as well as restaurant, both were facilities that I only viewed from afar and did not utilize.

Further out, the airport is 20 minutes away, I recommend you have the hotel make a reservation on SunBus to get you back there. It is much cheaper than taking a cab directly. Public Transportation stops behind the hotel and goes to some beaches up north (although I never explored this).

Lastly, the hotel does have an excellent concierge who is worth every cent. They work on a rotating basis but I was pleased with the two I dealt with. They were able to get me a booking to the Cairns Night Zoo (which was a nice way to spend the evening). Being that the immediate street area is pretty small they should be able to assist you in locating any service or item that you are seeking.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank frequent_trav_tx
DominicEgger, Manager's Comment at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns, responded to this review, 9 April 2010
Dear Madame

Please accept my apologies as the guest room in your recent stay did not meet your expectations. Whilst exterior, lobby and restaurant renovations have been completed last year, we are very pleased to advise, all guest rooms are currently undergoing a multimillion dollar refurbishment. One third of the hotel is already completed and we expect to have the whole hotel finished in early June.

In refreshing the hotel, we are confident that with the addition of updated fixtures, fittings and décor the hotel will make an excellent impression and your disappointment will not be repeated in the near future.

Thank you for your observations, and we would be excited to welcome you back to a new look Holiday Inn Cairns in the near future.

Yours sincerely,