“Exceptional service in a storm”

Cairns Sheridan Hotel
Ranked #16 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We arrived in Cairns late evening in lashing rain with Cyclone Yasi due to hit the Queensland coast so we were unable to head to our holiday destination Ellis Beach, we were advised to head into Cairns and find alternative accommodation, the Sheridan Plaza was the first hotel we came accross that could accommodate us eventhough they were full and what a find it was, we were given a top floor suite (especially opened up for us) which was lovely, had a large lounge area with sofa bed, a very large bedroom and bathroom, all very clean and well furnished, it had large ceiling to floor windows ( which we were a bit worried about) but they didn't cause a problem, it did smell a little musty due to the room not being in use for a while but who cares we were safe.
We stayed there for 5 days due to the cyclone and we couldn't praise or thank the staff enough for what they did for all the guests, everyone was friendly, helpfull and took time for a reasurring chat, we had no electric but were all given small lanterns, continually updated on the situation, given instructions on what to do and where to assemble should the hotel suffer any damage, we had a cooked breakfast (they cooked on gas) a cooked evening meal only on the last night was the menu choice slightly limited, the food was excellent and very well presented ( compliments to the chef), if we wanted a hot drink anytime we went down to the kitchen the kettle would go on a hot drink and chat was served up, every member of staff went out of their way to make sure we were all ok and kept up moral.
The hotel is set in a pretty garden with small swimming pool, which under different circumstances we would have enjoyed, the hotel looks out onto the main road at the back and a quiet road at the front, a small parade of shops about 10 mins walk away and a couple mini supermarkets attached to the petrol stations near by. Cairns is appx 20 mins by car.
We would stay here again without a doubt

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
sheridan295, General Manager at Cairns Sheridan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2011

Wow what great comments and thank you for being so concise. As a relatively new hotel the Sheridan Plaza has been built to very high cyclone codes. You certainly picked the best Cairns hotel to be in during a cyclone. What a lot of guests don't always realize is that in good hotels the primary importance is the safety and security of its guests. Even in a Cyclone we take every opportunity to keep you safe and at the same time continue our commitment to service. This was a particularly difficult time for all our crew as those in the hotel couln't get out and those at home couldn't get in to releive them, but everyone stuck to the task until Cairns finally came back to life. I am so happy to hear your excellent comments and will share them with all our staff members. Thank you again.

Reviewed 21 April 2011

We stayed at this hotel enroute to port douglas. It was clean although the room had a musty smell. The hotel looks straight out of the 80s. Fine to stay overnight and was cheap, but it is certainly not 4 star quality. Would not recommend a longer stay and the closest shops/restaurants are a 30 min walk away. On the plus side the lady receptionist was extremly friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank brando78

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and yes our staff are extremely friendly. All reviews are taken very seriously by mamagement as they provide us with opportuities to rectify a part of our business that may be letting us down. We have been in the process of refurbishing the hotel over the past year. This has been done in stages and you may have noticed the the brand new beds, entire biulding and rooms recarpeted, brand new 80cm digital TVs and new door locks. The last thing we did was to change from bedspreads to triple sheets with bed runners. When you stayed you would of got one of the last rooms that still had the floral, brightly coloured bed spread. Yes, although they were relatively new they did age the rooms dramatically. I am happy to say we have continued our change in bedding and as you will see from our images all our rooms are now well and truely in the naughties. Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed 20 April 2011

My husband and I only stayed one night as we were on a business trip, we didn't check in till midnight after a delayed flight and I have to say customer service was not the fortay of the gentleman at reception, I don't think he said more than a dozen words to me and that was to point down the hall to indicate were the elevators were and to tell me to park anywhere, no hello, good evening or your room is on the 3rd floor.
The room was a reasonable size but the furnishings really need updating, as does the bathroom, we didn't use roomservice but they did have a late night menu which was a nice surprise.
Checking out was a much nicer experience, the lady on reception was lovely and helpful with directions.
We would not stay here again, mainly because of poor service and the cost of a room, I've stayed at 3 star hotels that have been nicer and 4 star hotels that have been better priced.

Room Tip: Stay at the Sebel for the same price.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments they are interesting in that they highlight the desperate times that Cairns went through immediately after Cyclone Yasi and the months of torrential rain that followed. Hotels like the Sebel (5 Star) were so desperate for business they offered all and sundry the cheapest rates ever seen for a five star hotel. The price war was on and nearly all hotels followed suit. As predominantly a corporate hotel we held our nerve and maintained our integrity with our rates. Now you won't be able to stay at the Sebel for $99 per night including breakfast but they are still struggling to get their rates back to where they were before cyclone Yasi. We have a very loyal and long established client base who don't mind paying for the excellent service and accommodation that we provide. Your comments about the night manager do concern me and I have taken measures to reinforce his service standards.

Reviewed 4 April 2011

The worst hotel ever. Don't eat at the resturant. Its terrible! The first time I couldn't finish up my meal.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank Pswed

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry you were so disappointed in our restaurant, but why would you eat in a restaurant and not complain directly to the staff if you were not satisfied with the meal? It is our policy to refund guests if they have a genuine complaint about the food. We can't give you a refund if we don't know there's a problem. But even more incredible is the fact that you came back the following night for a second go. I only give a restaurant one chance to impress me. Are the meals too big? We do serve a 500gm (1.1 pound) Black Angus rump and a Rib Fillet in the restaurant. Most of our customers rave about the exceptional quality and value. With many corporate customers our restaurant is vital to our business and customers often comment that we have the best hotel restaurant offering the best value in Cairns. I am sorry that you had a bad experience this time but I would recommend talking to the staff in future.

Reviewed 18 March 2011

Stayed at this hotel as it was near to a friend's home, I booked it last minute but wish I'd done my research a bit better as it is quite a way out of town. I arrived after a long drive to find there was no record of my booking. The receptionist seemed disinterested and bored, I asked her about parking in Cairns and she just shrugged and said she didn't know. I had booked a queen deluxe with a balcony and was allocated a room on the 2nd floor. I walked in to find a cramped dark room that smelt strongly of damp with a small window and 2 single beds pushed together. I have NEVER complained about a room before but I was so fed up I just snapped. Went straight back downstairs and told a different receptionist it was NOT what I'd booked, I must have looked so angry that he gave me another room straight away. This one was a bit better but still very dated as was the hotel in general. If I had not have already paid online I would have just walked out and found somewhere else. The shower and bathroom were ok but ran out of hot water within 5 mins every morning. Room service was excellent, the food was lovely but I was a bit surprised to see I was charged an extra $3.00 to have it brought up to the room - must have missed the small print! My last day I went to make myself a cup of tea and saw that the cup I'd used the night before was crawling with little ants - gross! I really wished I had booked somewhere else as it really wasn't worth $130 per night, there are definitely better options out there for the money.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank MsBetty66

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Sheridan Plaza Hotel. We are delighted to hear that your dining experience was 'excellent', we pride ourselves on our exceptional customer service and amazing cuisine. Also 'Welcome to the tropics' where it rains torrentially for months and, yes, things do get a little damp. Since your stay the hotel has had a major refurbishment and we have addressed some of your issues with new carpet throughout the hotel, new door locks and new beds and 80cm Digital Tvs. The girl on the desk had just started with us and has since completed her training. The feedback like this definitely highlights to them the importance of customer satisfaction and Larissa has become one of our most praised receptionists. Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed 8 March 2011

The hotel is very centrally located close to the Cairns CBD with convenient access to public transport to tourist destinations. The service during my stay was excellent - friendly and efficient - especially as it was during a Category 5 cyclone and the hotel was operating with a skeleton staff working under very trying conditions. The room was very clean, comfortable and well appointed and felt safe during the storm. The food in the restaurant was of excellent quality and reasonably priced. The few staff on duty during and just after the cyclone went out of their way to keep an almost full hotel informed, fed and relaxed and succeeded admirably.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo

Thank you for your generous comments and I am so happy that you were able to enjoy your stay during these extreme weather conditions. This is how we like to see our hotel and staff performance. Even in difficult times all our staff put 100% of their effort into keeping our guests safe and as comfortable as they possibly can. Thanks again for your comments they are most welcome.

Reviewed 7 February 2011

My partner and I stayed at the hotel for 1 night to escape the onslaught of cyclone yasi. The staff were very friendly and helpful, we lost power in the hotel but staff provided plenty of torches and anything else we might need. They were even able to make us a full cooked breakfast the following morning on the gas cooker. Thanks for making our stay comfortable and pleasant. I take my hat off the staff who worked round the clock to make sure the guests were safe and especially the chef who braved the cyclone and went outside to help bring a woman inside who was wandering around in the cyclone. You all deserve a big pat on the back!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
sheridan295, General Manager at Cairns Sheridan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2011

Thank you for your generous comments it is so nice of you to share your experience with others. That really was a dramatic night. When a guest told me there was a woman wandering around the street at the height of the cyclone we went up to a high floor and sure enough there she was. This caused quite a dilemma as to whether someone should go out or not. The dilemma was resolved in the next few seconds when I saw the Chef dash out into the storm and escort her back into the hotel. She was not hurt but very wet and she spent a very comfortable night on a lounge chair in the bar area. I was particularly proud of our staff members that night.