“two night stay at Sheridan Plaza”

Cairns Sheridan Hotel
Ranked #16 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 14 October 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

Reviewed 29 September 2012

Stayed in a deluxe queen room for one night for $99. No complaints with the room. It was spacious, clean and pretty much what we were expecting. The hotel has ample parking. It's located a good bit out from the main town. It's maybe only a 5 min drive but not within walking distance and parking in the town centre can be hard to find. The "gym" in the hotel would make you laugh! It consists of maybe two treadmills and a rowing machine crammed into a tiny room. None of the equipment worked when we were there.

If I was in Cairns again I'd look for somewhere more central but if the location wouldn't bother you this is a decent hotel at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2012

The staff are friendly,understanding and very helpful .The room was excellent and well appointed. We were made to feel at home. Lovely place that was easy to access from the airport. There is also easy access to a good tavern and bistro.

• Stayed: September 2012
Thank Peter and Velve... K
Reviewed 22 September 2012

A nice room and bathroom. Hotel lovely. Not that many staff but helpful enough. Major problem with ants. They were all over the front step and when we arrived we had a cup of tea in our room with the complimentary biscuits. We fell asleep leaving the packet empty packet beside the bed and woke to ants everywhere. We spent a whole day killing them and some were in the bed. I could hardly sleep the first night. Had a better second day and night but ants were still in the cupboard. Staff said they would come with spray if we wanted but we had them under control by the second day. Quite an uncomfortable stay

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2012

.Going up to cairns for 7 weeks for work, i was wondering what the rooms would be like, and was surprised at the size, quite big for a single. it had everything i needed LCD tv Table and chairs big shower that had the best water pressure i have ever seen.The staff at the front desk were brilliant.Helped with every need From wake up calls to Taxis and even suggesting attractions and drives for me to go and see and i did and they were beautiful.The food i could not fault i enjoyed every meal i ate there,breakfast was great also..The rooms were very clean and a high standard was kept...for the last 9 days there my family came up we moved to a bigger room upstairs with views of the mountains they were all made to feel extremely welcome and the staff treated my 2 children like there own and i am sure a 3 and 5 year old can test the patience of staff but they were great...i would stay here anytime,even the 2.5 klm walk to town i enjoyed.its nice to slow down and enjoy yourself .....overall me and my family enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to stay there again thanks to the staff....

Room Tip: we enjoyed the mountain views and the sunset and it was quieter
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I was so pleasantly surprised as I thought this would just be an average hotel for the money we paid. This was a great place to stay. Hotel was immaculate, rooms were very nice, and the staff was great. I would stay here anytime while in Cairns!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Stayed here for a conference also being held in the hotel. Rooms much bigger than I expected, and I think I had standard room.
While the decor may not be spectacular, the furniture was all modern and little touches were present, such as large area for suitcases, desk and table and chairs, dimming lights, big LCD tv with movies and sports channels, minibar (not too expensive), good sized bathroom with excellent shower, individual room airconditioning, comfortable bed with good quality linen, windows that open; really couldn't fault it. It was even on a busy road but must have been double glazed as with the window closed I heard nothing.
Even little touches that really do make your stay more comfortable like wine glasses, real milk, caffeine free coffee, tea towel, extra power points, were present.
The only downside occurred when I noticed on my second night (of 4) that my room smelt like cigarette smoke and the whole corridor stunk of it too. The next morning I asked the front desk staff if people were allowed to smoke to be told that they actually had smoking rooms, one of which was directly opposite mine! (didn't know they still existed in this day and age).
Without me having to say anything else, I was offered to move rooms which I accepted and was assisted to move by a lovely staff member to a 2 room suite upstairs, which came complete with large bath, powder room, 2 balconies, reception room, bedroom, desk etc.
As for everything else, the room service is prompt, the food nice but not spectacular and the price most acceptable.
The staff were friendly and helpful; a young lady at the counter even looked up a nearby restaurant for me, phoned them to enquire about their licensing and then printed me off a menu, without me even asking - talk about service!
The restaurant/bar has a pleasant outdoor area overlooking the pool creating nice ambience to eat/drink by.
As a conference venu, the room was spacious & clean the seating comfortable and the aircon perfect (not too cold like many places).
The ONLY downside I can see to this hotel is that it is around 2.5 klms into the city; bit of a walk in summer, and around 500 metres to the esplanade for a morning jog. Probably would be wanting a car if I stayed here again.

Room Tip: If cigarette smoke bothers you, request a room on a non-smoking floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business