“Good Value!”

Ranked #19 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
“Good Value!”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Sheridan for 4 nights recently. We got a good room rate, but watch out for booking in USD, with the weaker AUD the total price was more than originally expected. The staff were very friendly, a mistake was made at checkout when I was charged the full normal price but it was corrected without a worry. We had some frozen food to take back to PNG and it wasn’t a worry to store it in the deep freeze overnight. The room was clean and functional and as expected for the price. This time we didn’t have a hire car and hadn’t realised that the hotel is actually quire far from the town centre/marina area, the taxi fares added up and it may be more economical to stay in a more expensive hotel closer to the centre if you are planning to be going there on a daily basis. We will stay again.

1 Thank DickoP
sheridan295, General Manager at Cairns Sheridan Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Thank you for you comments. Not sure what happened on check-out but it is good to hear the staff took care of it without any problems. Also, we have a mini bus that does regular trips down town so next time you are here just let us know when you want to go into town and we can see when the next bus is going. See you next time.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Hebrew first
windsor
Reviewed 13 August 2013

This was the best value hotel of our trip. We had 2 interconnecting rooms, beds were really comfortable. Perfect for a late arrival from the airport. Appreciated free wifi. Weren't there long enough to make use of the facilities, the gym and pool looked pretty good.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments. All the beds in the hotel are brand new and yes, I agree, they are very comfortable. We have recently upgraded our WiFi to make it far more effective with Mobile phones and tablet devices. This upgrade has been well received by all our guests and in particular our regular corporate travellers. We will shortly be on the NBN so we are looking forward to even faster access. Hopefully next time you will be able to enjoy the pool and our other amenities.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stay at this hotel for work every few months and have been doing so for many years. I always find the staff very friendly and accommodating and they make the effort to remember your name. I stay in hotels all over Australia and I find the service in this one outshines them all. Everyone is just so friendly and they really do make you feel welcome. The restaurant is great and I always enjoy having a long, relaxing feast on the breakfast buffet. When I wanted to try a local restaurant the manager told me the best restaurant for Thai food in Cairns was right next to the hotel. Well it didn’t look much but he was right the food was sensational, and really cheap. I’ll be back for sure.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
sheridan295, General Manager at Cairns Sheridan Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Thank you so much for your generous comments. It is refreshing to see guests notice the effort that is being made, every day by our staff. We see our staff as our number one asset because it can often be the diference between a hotel being fabulous or being just another hotel. Thanks again and I look forward to your next stay.
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Stayed here for 6 nights for work. The rooms were a decent size, clean and my bed was very comfy. I wouldn't recommend the buffet breakfast though (sloppy eggs and chewy hash browns). A walk to town (and the shopping centre - Cairns Central) is about 25 minutes. The staff were absolutely fantastic. On the Sunday we checked out, left our bags, and went in the 'Colour Run' - which is a 5km fun run where you have coloured powered dye chucked at you. A pretty messy / fun business. Upon our return we were able to have a shower in the pool bathrooms, borrow a towel and get some soap before catching our flight home. The staff were so friendly and accommodating it was great. Very impressed.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
sheridan295, General Manager at Cairns Sheridan Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you so much for your positive comments. Your participation in the Colour Run helped raise much needed funds for Cairns’ Hospital Foundation and is greatly appreciated by all of us in Cairns. All our staff will do everything possible to help our guests, before, during, and even after their stay. The art of anticipating a guests needs is such a critic aspect in the pursuit of excellent service but is one that is sadly becoming harder to find. It looks like I will need to talk to our new breakfast chef to resolve some issues she may be having. These comments are so important for us to maintain the high standard we continue to strive for. Thank you.
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We got a great price through wotif for this hotel, which is why I have rated it average. But if I'd been paying rack rates I would have been very unimpressed. Room was pleasant enough, but the bathroom was, frankly, grimy, with mould on the ceiling, and brown stained tile grouting.

The check in staff were friendly enough, but when I went down and asked for an extra pillow (there were two very flat ones on each of our twin beds) they were completely at a loss.

The breakfast was plentiful, but the scrambled eggs were rubbery (powdered?). Good bacon, packaged hash browns. Luke warm drip filtered coffee.

It was fine for the one night we spent there and for the very cheap rates we paid. But seriously nothing to get excited about.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
I see you are from Canberra, the coldest, most miserable place in Australia. This explains your focus on negativity in this and all your previous Trip Advisor reviews. So with all due respect I have re-written your review for you using your own words with some positive spin.
‘We got a great price through Wotif for this hotel. No one ever pays rack rate anymore, in fact modern hotels rarely, if ever, use the term. Room was pleasant but there was a couple of cleaning issues in my room that I am sure the friendly staff will attend to now that I have informed management.
The check-in staff were friendly but when I wanted 6 pillows in my room, because I was sure 4 would not be enough, they were at a loss. I can only presume the word pillow is not commonly used in hotels in Queensland. Anyway once the friendly check-in staff worked out what a pillow was I got my extra pillows, and they were big fluffy ones, just like I asked for.
The breakfast was plentiful, good bacon, and those crispy hash browns are so hard to resist. I thought the eggs were ‘powdered’ so I Googled powdered eggs and although they were used extensively in WW2 it is a bit stupid to think a hotel would be using them in 2013. Besides, powdered eggs today would cost $6 for the equivalent dozen fresh eggs that cost the hotel around $2. I just wish I had of ordered the freshly cooked eggs, fried, poached, or even an omelet that is available for breakfast. It seriously is good value for a free breakfast. I think I’ll also try a Latte` next time.
It was fine for the one night we spent there and for the very cheap rates we paid, but seriously I needed a week to really see how good this hotel is.’ Regards Kjg66

It seriously is amazing the negativity that is coming out of Canberra lately. You are obviously not a politician but it is rubbing off on everyone. Try to see the positives in life and rise above the cold and miserable place you live in. Regards Stuart Munro.
Townsville, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We recently spent the night here in adjoining family rooms, prior to flying overseas the next day, it is conveniently located close to the airport. We booked through Wotif and was very happy with the price and the rooms, the amenities were great and the furnishings functional and comfortable. We wouldn't recommend the buffet breakfast which we thought was expensive and not very good value or quality for the money.we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Meagey
sheridan295, General Manager at Cairns Sheridan Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Thank you for your comments. Yes our interconnecting rooms are becoming very popular with guests travelling with family. They are two full sized hotel rooms with a common door between. You can enjoy your family time with your children and also have some privacy time so you too can enjoy your holiday. Knowing your family is safe and secure in a hotel is the most comforting feeling you can have while on holiday. I am surprised about your comments regarding breakfast. Usually guests are very complimentary about our breakfast but I know when travelling with family everything can get expensive. I will pass your comments on to the chef.
Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed here after a late arrival. The hotel is close to the airport. Rooms are your average hotel room, clean and fairly quiet. The location to the city is a very long walk (25mims), but great for the airports. Staff were nice and breakfast was good. We got a last minute deal and the value for money was tops.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your positive comments. The Cairns Sheridan Hotel is becoming well known as Cairns' only 'Airport Hotel'. While we are only a short drive to the airport you can also walk down to the Cairns Esplanade board walk for one of the most awesome walks you will ever have.