“A so so option”

Cairns Southside International
Ranked #55 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The apt in the hotel is spacious and confy, but it is too far from downtown (3.5 km) or any interesting places and there isn't shuttle to the airport. It's OK if you have a car. The internet doesn't work well. The price is good.

Room Tip: Better choose a apt not close the street.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 25 July 2014

The rooms we saw were fine in size but they were not maintained properly.
Had to move because the first room we were sent to the A/C did not work, second did but was SO loud and noisy, that we could not use at all. The wifi did not work AT ALL

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shmuel b
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This isn't the first time I have stayed here, the first time I stayed was really nice, the older lady at reception was happy and warming like it should be. Unfortunately the last time I stayed which was about a month ago I was very surprised how I was treated by the young blonde lady at Reception, who seemed more focused on her phone and the young men at the bar. I checked into one of the Spa rooms and was upset to find the air con did not work and that the fans had no knobs on them for me to even put them on. I went back and just explained to the lady what the issue was and that it seemed a bit rough to pay $120 if things in the room wasnt working. She told me that she wasn't the boss and doesn't make the rules. I said to her well that's pretty sad that you cant even just change me out of that room to another one. I can assure you that was the last time ill ever go there. I work in a resort and if I ever treated customers that way id be out of a job.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Savannah M
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have chosen this Inn for its convenient location just a short drive from the city centre and close proximity to Gordonvale and the Atherton Tableland. It has good off-street parking and you may land a good deal for a room.
The rooms have all necessary facilities, but a hint; the road at the front is the Bruce Hwy and can be noisy. So try to get a room facing the rear of the building. Also the windows have no insect screen, so it is necessary to run the aircon even when not wanted. I would stay here again but would try for a different room.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Pre-booked by a travel agent. Unfortunately, however, it was not in Cairns central as requested. Upon arrival I was told reception would be unattended from 11am to 4pm Saturday & Sunday. Before the receptionist left I reported the wifi was not working. She said they had been having trouble for some time with this and it was still not working. I finally settled in my room and then found there was a hole in the bathroom sink. The sliding window on the ground floor room was kept closed by a stick wedged (not very well) in the slider groove. The fridge seal was filthy. The carpets were dirty/stained in the rooms and in the corridors. When new receptionist arrived at 4pm I complained about the state of my room and she immediately offered me a change of room. The new room was still on the ground floor but better than the first. This receptionist also said that the wifi had been a problem for some time. I think the hotel should not be advertising wifi if they cannot provide it. It is not the hotel to book if you want to be in the centre of Cairns. That is the main reason why I was not happy staying here. I have stayed in much better hotels.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Theresa S
Reviewed 7 May 2014

On arrival i was pleased to see a vibrant restaurant and bar as this is one of the things i look for when booking a hotel to stay at, i love the atmosphere of a place that has these two facilities and was very impressed Cairns southside for this. I booked the spa suite which after entering the room i couldnt believe how cheap i got it for. The room was huge with a big spa bath. there was a kitchen and lounge with a balcony. The appearance of the hotel overall was quite good, looked alittle like a castle. pool was ok, was in a strange spot, but was clean and had a big slide. restaurant is a must, food was great and well priced for customers. access in and out of the carpark was good. I really enjoyed this hotel and would stay here again when i revisit cairns.

Room Tip: Spa suite was great and well worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PMichaels
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I arranged for a late check-in, after front-desk hours. I was traveling alone. If you check in after front-desk hours, be aware that the check-in is outside, and the neighborhood feels a little sketchy. You use a phone outside to call an after hours service, the service gives you information to access a safe with your key and room information. That went smoothly enough. Except I went to my assigned room, and it very obviously hadn't been cleaned since the last person staying there. It was pretty bad. I wasn't sure what to do, seeing as how the reception was closed. I decided to go back down to the phone to call the after hours service and report the problem. They offered another room key from the safe. I went back upstairs. The key didn't work. I called again; they offered another key for a third room. That didn't work either. Finally, the service called the manager that resides in the hotel to let he know she needed to come out and address the problem. She was obviously not happy to be woken up, and didn't say a word to me as she went about getting a key that would work. She was pretty rude. As I was about to leave to my room, she did say she was sorry for the inconvenience. At that point, my stay was ruined anyway. Even if things had gone well, the most I would give the hotel would be a 3. It had a damp, icky smell in the hallways, and the rooms were fairly depressing. I wouldn't expect a whole lot at that price though. The bed, however, was fairly comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo