“Truly Accommodating”

Ranked #29 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Sydney, Australia
“Truly Accommodating”
Reviewed 24 June 2011

We have just spent four nights at Discovery Cairns and were most impressed by the warm welcome we received from the staff and management there. The amenities were excellent: spotlessly clean, convenient and comfortable. The leafy garden we saw from our room was a wonderful reminder of our stay in the tropics. The Vietnamese restaurant that services the hotel added to the exotic feel of the place. A short walk took us to the sea, the city center, the shops, cafes, bistros…. We could not have asked for more - great value.Thank you everyone at Discovery Cairns. We will be back!

First Timers in Cairns

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Discerning05
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Cairns City, responded to this review, 26 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review; we appreciate all kinds of feedback as it helps us stay on our toes! It’s wonderful that you enjoyed our property and hospitality so much and yes, we’d love to have you back. We’re not the ‘poshest’ place in town but we’re budget-friendly, extremely down to earth and like to think we’re a great base to explore Cairns from. Thanks again for your kind words.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 5 June 2011

My other half and I find the stay satisfactory. We found the room that we were staying in outdated. We found that the lighting was quite poor and the room was just bland. It hardly felt welcoming when entering. Dreary lighting, lack of cheeriness etc. Maybe a nice pot of flowers or brighter lights could help change this.

Also, I like to scope out the hotel, and go for a little walk. Upon walking near room #201 and the On-Site Managers Room, I noticed a fair amount hair on the ground and upon the steps. Not only this, I smelt a very strong scent of dog. So I assume that all the hairs were from a dog. Which, from my understanding there is a standard "No Pets" Policy for all hotels. On an evening stroll, I also saw a gentleman coming down the steps with a dog. So, again, how can all hotels have a no pets policy but have a dog in the hotel?

On a final note, I thought that the pools could have some shade. I was enticed by the idea of swimming, but then completely repelled by the thought of swimming due to the lack of shade at the pool. Not only this I believe the pools could do with a clean, I could see brown sediments upon the bottom?? Which I believe is not meant to be in pools :)

However, I would love to point out that reception and house keepers were beautiful and the staff were extremely friendly and were happy to assist me in any way. Thank you for having me at your hotel :)

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Guest13ie
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Yes we have a ‘no pets’ policy in guest rooms. The big ‘boofy’ dog in question is Max and belongs to the Night Manager. He is usually housed off site during the day and his job is to partake in nightly rounds, however, he does have issues being roused from his nice warm bed and we all agree that if he were human, he’d be sacked! He has no contact with guests – although I think he would like to change that.
Pools? Our pools are both middle-aged and like myself, are perfectly functional and clean but not the stunners they once were! However, while they are both cared for daily by our full-time maintenance man, I am not! The pools are lined in pebble-create and like myself also, have gained a few blemishes over the years. The problem is with leaf matter, if it sits on the bottom of the pool it will stain the base over time, which is the ‘brown matter’ you noticed; there are a few patches but the stains are slight. When we took over the property a few years ago, we removed all plant matter hanging over the water itself; we do find however, that post swimming, people do enjoy stretching out next to it – some in the sun and some under the pergola or shade provided by the buildings. It depends on which country they are from as to whether guests chase shade or sun.
Anyway, I am glad you found us friendly, that’s our aim and you were very welcome to stay with us, it was our pleasure having you!
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2011

We originally intended to stay here two nights but stayed four as it was a good base to explore the area. The basic room is fine with all the amenities that you would expect. However the superior room is even better as they are on the first floor with a nice balcony overlooking the pool. The beds in both basic and superior rooms were very comfortable and very quiet air conditioning. Tea and coffee making facilities in every room and even wine glasses.
The staff were great and very knowledgable about the area. They can book tours for you, sometimes cheaper than you can get elsewhere.
The hotel is a 15 minute walk into town so not exactly central but the walk along the sea front is very pleasant.
The only downside is the breakfast which isn't very good value, particularly for continental ($10) which has a very limited choice. You are better eating in Cairns. However overall the hotel is good value and we would stay there again should we come back to Cairns

Room Tip: Just ask for upgrade
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. While most people tend to book the Standard rooms, our Superior rooms are fast becoming quite popular for the little extra they cost; especially with our Corporate guests as they are centered in the middle of our road block so are very quiet and surround the rear pool which is seldom used. Our restaurant changed hands just a short time ago; it’s Vietnamese with an added ‘Western’ menu for plainer eaters. The new owners of the restaurant (which is independently run) are settling in well and are very friendly. Breaky currently is $10 for Continental buffet and $15 for the ‘Full’ (hot and cold) buffet – bacon, eggs, toast, cereal, coffee, juice etc etc. It’s actually a pretty good deal for the works I reckon. However, I do understand that for some, the budget doesn’t stretch that far (or you don’t want that much food), and if this is the case, the servo is nearby and they do a mean ‘fresh bun and iced coffee’. ‘Mackers’ is on the ‘nade not far away as well!

Thanks for staying and the great feedback; it’s much appreciated.
Media, Pa. USA
Reviewed 15 March 2011

My wife, Daughter and I check in tho the Discovery Cairns on February 18, 2011, the man who check us in was friendly and responsive to any questions we had. When we went to our room it was extremely hot (I know it's tropical, but hot is hot.). I turned on the air conditioner and we changed and headed to the lagoon on the Esplanade. After dinner my daughter went back to the room and called and reported that the room was still hot. While she was sitting on her bed (Sofa Sleeper) she saw ants crawling across the sheets. To make matters worse when she went into the bathroom there was a Gecko (or Salamander) on the wall near the ceiling. When she left the bathroom she saw another Gecko (or Salamander) run under the other bed in the room. When she called down to the office the woman there said "they won't hurt you". When my daughter called back a few minutes later the woman said "this is the tropics, you have to expect this. Needless to say we check out of Motel and check in to the Best Western Acacia Court for only a few dollars more per night where for the next four days we never found one ant or Gecko (or Salamander) in our room. When we returned to Sydney we went to the travel agent and explained the situation and that we felt we should get a refund. All this place would offer was $135.00. Now I know about the policy of no refunds prior to twenty four hours but there is a thing called customer satisfaction and a room with insects (more than a normal amount for a room) and small lizards is a bit over the top. I guess that they figured that we were just stupid Americans and that was the way it was. I fell in love with Australia and particularly the town of Cairns. I hope someday to return there but it definitely will not be in the Discovery Cairns. My advice to the management of that motel is to get your act together and clean up the place and have a little more respect for the people who are paying you to stay there.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank dennyglav
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Cairns City, responded to this review, 24 March 2011
Thanks for taking the time to write a comment on our property and we actually do understand. Yes February is a hot time of year, extremely humid too with allsorts of creepy crawlies at their busiest! It’s a shame I missed you as I was on annual leave in Feb. I am the resident gecko catcher and often go to the rooms and remove them for guests – sometimes for burly blokes too – and yes with my bare hands; it’s just what you get used to. I relocate them back outside. As we are a low level property with gardens, we do have native critters that keep us company and I guess as locals we take it in our stride. Geckos are impossible to get rid of; they just keep coming back the friendly things! We could reduce their presence by minimizing what garden beds we have and using heavy duty poisons but they are indeed harmless, quite amusing, and we feel they are part of the lure that is the tropics. There are things in the tropics I don’t like too, namely finding pythons on my driveway at night – but we do have to live with these things as Cairns is built on reclaimed swampland. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Acacia Court; I have found that in high rise buildings such as the Acacia Court (and I have worked in them also), geckos aren’t the problem they are in low level properties (maybe they’re scared of heights) so I would indeed suggest that anyone uncomfortable with these things, buy all means, stays in a high rise building to limit the possibility of geckos. As with ants - and yes we have a few of those too - we treat them best we can with regular, environmentally-friendly treatments done by professionals. Whether I am at home or here at work; I daren’t leave lollies (candy), biscuits or other foods out and about as the ants will be on to them straight away. I am sorry again that things weren’t as you liked and I want to say that personally I don’t think any Americans are stupid at all (and I don’t believe the staff here feel that way either, we have a lot of laughs with our American guests generally). Actually, I have just returned from a month in your country and loved it and the American people - so very friendly - and I plan to go back next year. Oh and the room next to me in the USA had dogs in it (as paying guests I might add), possibly far more dangerous than geckos, but I didn’t mind as it was all part of my experience and the property was clean and comfortable. We do consider requests for refunds when they come about but Mother Nature is not something we have complete control over. Thanks again and I am glad you liked Australia. I can’t wait to sample some more of your wonderful US Mexican cuisine next year and breakfast waffles!

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 February 2011

We were booked in a Budget room - it was more than adequate, comfortable, clean. The amenities were also adequate however a small microwave could be a good additon.
But what made it so enjoyable for us was the level of friendliness, helpfullness and just general care displayed by ALL the staff. We were staying there at the time of Cyclone Yasi and we had no worries about being taken care of. They just got on with it, delivered us to a cyclone shelter, looked after all our luggage, then bought us back after it was all over.
The hotel is located about 3 blocks from the City Centre, 2 blocks from the water front and everything was in easy walking distance. Take the cyclone out of it and it would have been a fantastic holiday, but is still a holiday with good memories and certainly unforgettable.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fitnessplus
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Your stay was bad timing with Cyclone Yasi visiting; I bet that’s an experience you won’t forget in a hurry! Your first cyclone can be a terrifying ordeal so it’s great to hear that things were still ok even with having to experience a shelter. If you ever get back to Cairns you may like to visit post April to avoid the cyclone season and experience us a little drier. The one nice thing about that time of year is the rainfall, soggy yes, but I hope you got to see the beautiful Barron Falls at its peak beauty; 250m high and awesome in the ‘wet’. The rainforest is always best in the wet season, smells great and the critters are their busiest.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 6 February 2011

At the end of our holiday in Australia, we had to return our campervan to the rental station earlier than expected because of Yasi. We looked on the internet and found Discovery Cairns, a small hotel. (which we like more than a big one) . Once we got there we felt very welcome, it's a great little place. The hotel is on walking distance to the centre of Cairns. The room and bathroom were very nice and very clean, and the staff very friendly. Unfortunately there was Yasi, but the staff took very good care of their guests, they made us, foreigners, felt safe! They made arrangements for the evacuation, and brought us to the Assembly Sports Hall, and picked us up there the day after. When we came back to the hotel, the power was off, but there was a coolbox with nice cold beer, water and soft drinks waiting for us! We, from Holland would like to thank you for your great service and hospitality during our stay in your hotel, and if we come back to Cairns we definately come and stay with you fooks again!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laro01
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. What can I say, it’s Australia and it’s all about the cold beer! Cheers…
Sale, Australia
Reviewed 12 January 2011

This hotel is exactly what it says it is. Mid range, for those on a budget but absolutely functional and friendly. We received a two free nights deal and really had no complaints. The room was serviced daily and it was clean, NO BUGS, quiet and had plenty of storage space as well as floor space. We hired a safe key for our room during our stay. Our room had a bath and shower (AS REQUESTED) and it was perfect as a central place for enjoying what both Cairns ad the beaches up north had to offer. We didn't swim in the pools but they looked lovely for a cooloff...NOW, for the main attraction of this place.. THE STAFF AND SERVICE! These folk will go out of their way to provide you with the information or environment you want. Genuinely friendly and helpful, they did all our bookings for our trips (Don't forget to book Ocean free through them), organised our taxis etc and looked after us incredibly well. Our ten days there were a real holiday and they had helped make it so enjoyable.

We did eat at the restaurant which is not run by the hotel but also provides friendly service and great breakfasts!

Ignore the bad reviews on this place - if you want five stars go and pay for it - but if you want friendly, homely, competent care at around a 3.5 star level- this is it. Thanks to Discovery Cairns, this has been a great holiday thanks to ease of accommodation.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Cairns City, responded to this review, 26 January 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on our page. As a small, family business we do try to offer the best we can as a small team so it is always very rewarding to hear such nice feedback. Again, thank you and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.