“Quiet, convenient and comfortable”

Comfort Inn Cairns City
Ranked #34 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We stayed here for a total of five nights. It is within walking distance of the Cairns CBD and Cairns Central shopping centre. The rooms were spacious for two people and everything was clean and in working order. Reception was friendly and helpful. A bonus is an on-site restaurant which serves meals all day. Continental breakfast was very cheap ($10pp) and quite adequate. We didn't get around to dining there at night, but the restaurant seemed very popular, serving Vietnamese style food. The company also runs day tours in the Cairns region and adventure tours further afield. We did the 8 day Cape York Tour which was absolutely wonderful.

Room Tip: Just be aware that half the rooms are upstairs and there is no lift.
4  Thank Paula W
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Cairns City, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Hi Paula W, thanks a bunch for your very nice review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. It’s funny you know, you say to some people $10 for breakfast and they think that’s well priced; others choke as they suddenly inhale from shock! It really depends on where on the globe you come from but in Australian terms, the restaurant is very affordable.

Ah, you did Cape York, what an adventure that is - a very different part of Oz.

I must say thanks for noting the fact that we have don’t have a lift’ we are an older building and yep, we don’t have a lift up to our upper level. It’s a challenge constantly for us as travel agents – bless their cotton socks – give us very little information the majority of the time and we are left to guess.

For example, we may only have one wee flight of stairs but it can be a problem sometimes, especially when your last guest of the day arrives for the last available room (upstairs) and they have no legs! Luckily, we have a Night Manager with a good, strong back!

In addition to the above, we are all getting quite good at guessing the majority of our guest’s bedding requirements. For example; when a booking comes through with ‘Mr’ and ‘Ms’ (in the same or different names), we don’t know whether the guests are ‘living in sin’ (as my elderly mother would say), brother or sister, having an affair or what the story is, fortunately, tact is something Martin and Anthony in reception have mastered quite well, myself, not so… I, sadly, am more direct with my approach… “Righto, who’s sleeping with whom - no secrets here!” We get there in the end, that’s the main thing. Again, thanks for your lovely review!

There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn Cairns City

Reviewed 21 June 2013

This hotel is well priced, clean and well-located. The proprietor was incredibly generous and helped us out of a bind when we had problems with our foreign currency card. We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for clean, tidy, well-priced venue with good facilities.

Room Tip: If you want satellite tv, ensure that you book a "superior room".
1  Thank Michelle K
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Cairns City, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Hi Michelle; Thanks for your review. So glad we suited your needs but sorry to hear you had issues with your currency card. Myself and reception can’t recall that so maybe you had the Big Kahuna help you out; he is a top bloke (for a boss), very hands-on. Thanks so much for staying with us Michelle and your nice review and I agree that people should definitely consider the Superior rooms for the small amount extra; they are very good value. Cheers, Heather

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Me and my boyfriend only stayed at his hotel for 3 nights but wished we had stayed longer was just amazing all the staff very very helpful and lovely , helped out a great deal with picking tours which really made our holiday . the restaurant attacked to the hotel was just perfect had the best meal in there! i would recommend everyone to stay there i wouldn't hesitate going back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Becky, Becky, Becky, thanks so much for such an awesome review – are you sure you have the right property? …LOL…just joking…seriously that is a very, very, nice review and we certainly appreciate you staying with us, helps us feed the kids and all! We’d love to have you back some day for sure, and glad you enjoyed the restaurant; they do quite a good job and Lan (who runs the restaurant independently), is a great cook! The restaurant staff don’t attack us very often (joke-as-above) which is great ‘cause their knives are sharp. Cheers, Heather

Reviewed 19 June 2013

I stayed at Discovery in transit between Australia and Guam, but will definitely consider going back there for a longer stay. The place is well-located (don´t miss the glass-stained Creation Windows at the catholic Cathedral just a block away, they´re amazing!), and front desk/management is kind and helpful. Rooms are basic but clean and well-maintained. All things considered one of the great choices for staying in Cairns.

Room Tip: Be advised that on Sundays the Anglican Church nearby has a lot of singing, which however does not d...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi there JT, thanks for your review. I remember you, one of the good-looking ones; we don’t get too many of your lot…oops…I don’t mean good looking…I mean Guam’ites…so you are easy to remember! …OK, so there was a sing-a-long at the church? Hmm…I don’t generally work Sundays but I will certainly encourage the boys in reception to attend in future; they work the weekends and by the way they sing-a-long to the radio day-in, day-out weekdays (which I have to listen to), they can do with all the practice and guidance they can get! Thanks for that helpful tip! Cheers, Heather

Reviewed 2 June 2013

Had a 4 Day package in Cairns and Discovery was my Hotel. I arrived on a late Flight and when I got to the Hotel at 22.30 hrs Reception was closed. Panic for a minute then noticed there was a message saying go to the Phone just at the side of reception and when speaking to someone at the other end they gave me the 4 digit no to open the safe box containg my key and Room No. Panic over and got to my Room everything spot on. all the usual tea and coffee facilites TV etc. Bed Linen and Bathroom all in order. Had a good nights sleep and used the Restaurant ajoining the Hote for Breakfast. Once again Warm reception and Buffet Breakfast great with the added Bonus of having a cooked meal also in my package.Also had an evening meal which was fine . Got to see staff at reception and assured them all was ok and fully understood the reason why not manned at such a late hour. They organised my transfer to the Airport on the Day of my departure also. Great little stay and would have no hesitation in reccomending.

Room Tip: Try and arrive during working hours to ensure a friendly reception
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Cairns City, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Hello and thanks for writing a review. Yes it's always great when people can arrive during our office hours 6.30am to 8.00pm so we can greet them personally, but we understand this isn't always doable. We do have a night manager on site so he pops down if the lady on the phone can't assist or you have difficulties opening the safe. As you can imagine, as a smal family property, it would prove very expensive for us to remain open for one or two late arrivals and we find our system has worked a treat for 7 years now. Unfortunately many travel agent bookings don't give us an arrival time or contact details for you so we have no idea when you will arrive. My tip if you do book via a travel agent and you are arriving at a later hour, give us a bell so we can explain the system otherwise, like yourself, you get here and reception is closed and it's a bit panicky until you find our little sign on the front door 'after hours arrivals'. So glad everything was to your liking and you enjoyed your package. Cheers, Heather

Reviewed 18 May 2013

We had a very good time in Cairns this April and this hotel played a big part. We have no qualms in recomending the hotel. it was a short distance away from the prom and about 15 mins into the center. We are pensioners and pensioners as I am informed complain a lot. At this time we would recomend this hotel, we were more than satisfied.

Room Tip: ask for single beded rooms. the beds in our room were first class
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Cairns City, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

Thanks for your review and great to see pensioners on line! Love your comment about pensioners complaining a lot; in my experience, they actually don’t complain much at all and are usually very happy and grateful. They often need extra assistance but that’s fine, two of us here are ex-nurses and are quite used to it, we try to be patient and understanding. We all agree that the nationality that complains the most are the Canadians! Now I don’t mean to offend Canadians, we do love them and their accent, but they actually do (here anyway). I think it’s got to do with what is expected for the money, exchange rates etc. Australia is quite costly with the Australian dollar up so everyone has different ideas about value for money, depending on where they come from. We find the happiest on holiday are the New Zealanders (perhaps ‘cause they are finally warm LOL) and the politest are the Japanese. I think it is also funny that you say we are only a short distance away from the prom; I have young people complain about walking 2 blocks – again everyone is different and makes for a very interesting world.

Reviewed 17 May 2013

We stayed for 5 nigths. The staff were polite and friendly. It is a basic set up but the price reglects that. Overall the room was very good the only thing was that the bathroom floor needed a good srub it was quite dirty iam sure it was just a one off nobody is perfect

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello there and thanks for your review. So glad you liked your stay and found us friendly; we try as we can. I will pass on your comments to our head housekeeper to keep an extra eye out on our bathroom floors; we do like to be as clean as possible. I recently persuaded our elderly handyman to get new glasses and he is now trimming our garden instead of the neighbours, so perhaps I need to do the same to our housekeepers! Again, thanks for your review. Cheers, Heather