“good place to stay”

Comfort Inn Cairns City
Ranked #36 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Hotel was in walking distance for shops esplanade, etc.
Hotel was clean. Swimming pool was just right.
Staff were extremely helpful.
Good laundry room was useful.
Would stay there again.
We didn't use the restaurant, but always looked busy.

1  Thank pleasecabs
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Cairns City, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Hello Pleasecabs; thanks for your review. So glad you found us suitable for your stay. Yes we’re not far to walk to the shops/bars etc, but we are twice the distance to stagger home (that’s only if you’re zig-zagging after a few cold bevvies mind you, otherwise it's the same distance of course). …clean, that’s good …pool, great you found the time to have a dip …laundry, useful – ah, you left with clean underwear, that always makes for comfy travelingl; what more could you want LOL? Awesome to hear you’d stay with us again, we’d really love to have you back, perhaps you can then try Lan’s Vietnamese, it’s pretty good, very tasty and extremely painful (when you’re working reception for the evening and those gorgeous smells keep wafting through). Thanks again, both for your review and your stay. Heather

Reviewed 30 October 2013

I came to Cairns for a business trip and stayed here for 5 nights.
Here are the pros / my likes: the location - it's a short walk to the Esplanade, a 10 minute walk to the shopping centre and quite central to most restaurants and shops, and is literally next to a Vietnamese restaurant; the staff - genuinely friendly, polite, and helpful whenever I had any questions/issues; the room - it was bigger than I expected, and it was equipped with a fan and an air con, which meant that I managed to stay cool throughout the balmy Cairns days/nights.
Here are the cons / my dislikes: not much to be honest.
I'd happily stay here again :)
Thank you Heather, Anthony, and Martin!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank HappyPengu
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Cairns City, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Hi there Happypengu; thanks for your review. .. And we’d happily have you back you wonderful thing you. What a shame you were here for work; so hope you got a chance for a brief look around our city also. Thanks again, Heather and the boys.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed here for three nights in September. It is a five minute walk to the sea front of Cairns, ten minutes to the harbour, 15 minutes to the shopping mall and a short taxi ride from the airport.A quiet location for a good nights sleep. Our room was large, very clean with a sofa and chairs plus a fridge, the air conditioning was very quiet and effective, very important. There is a small pool but we did not use this.
The staff were very friendly and helpful with local knowledge and a room to keep luggage on leaving day. The front desk opens at 06.30 which was handy as our plane arrives very early. Also next door is a Vietnamese restaurant which we found to be good, all the eating places on the front are 5 minutes away. The hotel offers breakfast in the restaurant but we did not use this, the fridge came in handy for light breakfasts.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the complex, further away from the car parking.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi RJ and thanks for your review. I am glad you found the room suitable; you struck it quite lucky I see, with a complimentary upgrade to a Superior room at a value of $30 per night free of charge – you must have been either very good looking or a good tipper on arrival, LOL! Shame you didn’t get to use the pool; we have two – you may not have seen the other one which means you were busy having a good time. Sure sounds like it. Again, glad you were happy with us and our service and location; your review is very much appreciated. Heather

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed here for a couple nights. For price and location it was good. Rooms were clean but a bit small. The hotel staff was great! I had purchased a sim card that I had issue activating and Anthony and Martin were super helpful. I could tell both really enjoyed their job and were great at their job. They had a lot of information to share with us. Location was great just a short walk (10-15 mins) to everything.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Cairns City, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Hi there Rabbit; Thanks for taking the time to write a review. So glad you didn’t write that the hotel was great and the staff were average – I don’t think we’d cope with that - after all we think we’re great… well, the boys think they’re great and it’s hard to convince them otherwise! I am thinking you may have had one of the rooms on the far side which are the smallest rooms we have – either that or you slept in the hotel laundry by accident which would be pretty comfy too some to think of it! All our rooms differ in size and layout – goodness knows what they were thinking a few years back when they built the place, maybe that you could have a jolly long holiday by staying here and here alone. I hadn’t thought about it before; a stay each night in a different room would feel like you were really travelling from hotel to hotel and it would be so much cheaper than flights around the globe! On a serious note though; the good thing about our slightly smaller rooms is that they have the newly refurbished bathrooms - pretty glam really. It’s great that you found the location handy; we aren’t really far from anything, just staggering distance post dinner! Glad you enjoyed Cairns and thanks again for your cheery review. H

Reviewed 12 October 2013

It was a decent hotel. Nothing so great or so bad about it. it was just about average. I have no complaints as such. But i would like to change my hotel if i were to go to cairns again. I would orefer staying more close to the Esplanade Lagoon. Besides the hotel receptionist didnt give us a good bargain for the great barrier reef tour. Other agents gave us the same tour for 100$ less per person.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
1  Thank Dishant J
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Cairns City, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Hello Dishant; Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am glad that it suited your brief two night stay. It is a little sad that your comment on the reef tour is so misleading to readers of Trip Advisor. As you had only one full day in Cairns and one opportunity to visit the Great Barrier Reef after travelling such a long way from India to visit us, my interest was to advise you as to the best tour to suit your needs. You did ask me for recommendations for reef tours. I took a lot of time to ask you many questions about yourselves and your capabilities; you wanted to snorkel and your partners did not swim which lessens your choices of vessels. I explained that tours ranged from $99 through to $251. They were all on the wall before you and you were quite able to make an informed choice for yourself after our lengthy discussions. Now… had you simply told me, “I want cheap,” I could have given you cheap – heck there’s no shame in being cheap; I, for example, can cut thin-sliced bread in half I’m so cheap, but you asked me for what I would recommend. I recommended to you a tour to a pontoon which was $190 per person – certainly not the dearest pontoon. This gave you and your mate the opportunity to swim and use all the pontoon inclusions. My concern and choice was because your partners didn’t swim, this way, with only one day to spend on our Great Barrier Reef, your ladies would also get to see the reef via the underwater observatory, the semi-submarine and the glass-bottom boat. I did point out an array of cheaper tours and explained that these, in my opinion, were only suitable to those who could swim and snorkel and that the day would not be so great for the ladies as they would spend the entire day on the boat and see nothing. In the end I was so frustrated with your procrastination that if you had chosen to book with me I might just have charged you double for wasting my time and knowledge! You also failed to mention that I went out of my way to arrange a trip for an excellent price, out to skyrail, which you badgered me for then hummed and ha’d about for so long it was no longer available 2 hours later and you couldn’t understand why. You also failed to mention that you rang our reception prior to check out and told Martin to ‘fetch’ your bags; which of course in a budget hotel we do not ‘fetch’ bags! This had Martin ‘barking’ in reception in response. And as the ‘tight’ person that I am, might I give you some ‘tight’ advice. The next time you spend an absolute fortune coming to another country, don’t leave your ladies sitting in reception chatting and texting for hours, take them walking with you, get them out and about as well and have a look around because 48 hours in an area as beautiful as Cairns is really not enough. Thanks again for your comments and I really hope that your girls did get to see some fish and coral in the end (as that is my number one priority, not ripping you off) and did not end up sitting on the boat texting all day; that would have been a real shame! Kind Regards, Heather

Reviewed 7 October 2013

My cousin and I stayed here for 4 nights and cannot complain about the service we got from the front line staff. Room was ideal and hotel is handy for all the restuarants and beach.
Staff were very obliging for booking our trips to Karunda and Great Barrier Reef.
Would certainly recommend this place for a decent and cheap accommodation. it has a pool also which we did not use unfortuneately but that aside certainly handy for local amenities.
Weather was great as well :)
Thanks again for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: We were beside the stairs but not too bad for noise..we had no complaints anyway
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Hi Linda; Thanks for taking time to write a review. I am glad we suited your needs and you found our staff helpful; we try – don’t always get it right, but we try! Shame you didn’t get to use the pools, but I guess this means you were out seeing the sights and having a bonza time and that’s what we’re all about – budget place to stay so you can spend money on other things! Cheers, Heather

Reviewed 4 October 2013

We stayed here for three nights and thoroughly enjoyed the awesome swimming pool, fabulous authentic Vietnamese restaurant set on the street front, each night it was busy and full! this is a simple okay hotel with very helpful staff, even sorting out tv channels so we could watch our All Blacks thrashing South Africa! However our room was hot and stuffy, air con just barely worked, our beds were very hard and we hod no kitchen facilities (we should have checked this out)! we had requested (through our travel agent) two beds, our second bed was a pull out sofa bed! In terms of value for money over our three weeks of travelling I think this was basic! just okay!

Room Tip: Higher rooms are probably airier!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi there Kay; thanks for your review, it’s appreciated. Sorry to hear the a/c was battling, the poor things are going 24/7 in our environment - especially at present as it’s stinking hot in anyone’s language. I had a lady check in the other day – she had only been in the room five minutes and came in to say the a/c wasn’t cold enough. I explained that it did take 15-20 minutes to cool a current hot room… then I added, ‘It might help if you took your jeans and jumper off!” She’d come from a colder location and missed the obvious LOL. It’s a funny thing and I don’t mean that in a humorous way, but a strange way; with the beds we get daily comments… they are all the same beds and age, some people on check out say, “I slept like a baby, the bed was so comfortable,” and others say, “The bed was hard, I didn’t sleep very well!” I guess it comes down to what you are used to at home; we never sleep the same away from home for various reasons; noises are different around us, strange bed, you seem to keep one eye open in a way and we often overeat or drink more as we’re all on holidays!
I believe you were upgraded free of charge to a superior room; yes this does have a queen bed and fold out sofa as the second bed and that was our call to put you there; as a standard twin you would normally have 2 x single beds and a smaller room - sorry about that. Travel agents do have all our information about what the rooms consist of and they don’t always book the sought accommodation for the guest that’s true; I guess they have so many properties to choose from and haven’t always been to every location so it’s a bit of a challenge for them. The poor old travel agent always seems to cop the abuse and I don’t think they get thanked as much as they should from what I see. I wouldn’t like their job as I guess most people would have a picture and expectation in their mind of what they are after and the travel agent just has to guess sometimes. I once worked in real estate. I took some people to see what I considered quite a ‘dirty’ property. They loved it and couldn’t understand what I meant by ‘dirty’. My expectations regarding cleanliness obviously differed to theirs and it just showed me how people really do differ in their thoughts, expectations, values and beliefs, but I guess it makes for a very interesting World. So glad you liked Cairns and again, thanks for your review. Cheers, Heather