“2 pools but as big as a bath”

Comfort Inn Cairns City
Ranked #34 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed at this resort for four days and read other reviews and decided to book i was surprised to arrive to find what is essentially a motel not a resort of any kind and the reviews of the vietanmese resturant were good but i must say the food was to say the least overpriced and very ordinary....there may be a reason as the owner who is the chef was not working and the whole place lacks atmosphere. Now to the pools i have a large pool at my home address and there two pools would fit easily into my one they were so small one would call them a cooling down pool cant swim dive or jump as they r to small and both in need of cleaning and updating

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Cairns City, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Hello davtom; Thanks for staying with us; I am sorry we were such a disappointment to you but Crickeys, if I were lucky enough to have a pool as big as the one you have at home I don't think I'd need a holiday!

I am curious; are you sure you checked into the right property? Here at Discovery Cairns Hotel (no resort in our advertising) we have 53 budget-friendly hotel/motel-style rooms which are clearly photographed with room amenities listed on our website. Staying with us, you would have paid under $100 per night whereas 'resorts' with 'huge pools' will generally set you back twice that per night and more!

Our front pool is rectangular and 3.6m x 7.5m (water area) and our rear pool is the shape of an alcoholic's kidney being 12m in length with one end being 5m wide and the stair area being 3m wide; the average Queensland bath is .762m x 1.52m (30 inches x 60 inches). I actually measured all this with a tape measure myself, just for you, as I know I can't rely on the boys I work with for guessing distance, they always call ‘4 inches’ ‘6’ and 'up the road' ‘6 blocks’! Oh, and I jumped in to the smaller pool to test your theory and you'll be happy to know that even with my over-sized rear end, I managed it without injury; there might not be any water left, but I did fit so it has to be bigger than a bath tub!

Unfortunately I can't speak for the restaurant as that is independently run but I am concerned that the owner/chef wasn't working that night, I hope she wasn't out washing the dishes in the pool LOL?

I have Lan’s menu in my hand as I type (I'm good at multi-tasking). Entrees are $5 to $12.50, Soups are $15.50 to $18.50 and General Mains are $17.50 to $21.50 and are quite large serves. One more expensive dish on the general nightly menu is the 'Crispy Barramundi Fillet with Sweet and Sour Sauce and Salad' at $28.00. I guess it depends on where you come from as to whether you perceive those prices as expensive or not, I think they’re pretty good prices myself, especially when you see the size meal you get dished up.

In regards to atmosphere davtom, I can’t comment on Lan’s restaurant on the night, but when I do dine out myself, I have a wine or two to relax and it helps no end with atmosphere – then it doesn’t matter if the punters around me are dull and boring, my table always rocks!

Thanks again for your stay and review and enjoy that pool of yours! Cheers, Heather

Reviewed 15 March 2014

This is a good little place for a couple of days. The location is fine, about 15 minutes walk from town, which is not a problem, unless you get caught in a thunderstorm as we did! It is on 2 levels and in the style of a motel with car parking space outside each room. Reception was good and the staff very friendly, helpful and welcoming. I believe they would be a useful resource for booking tours but we did not need this.There are 2 pools, both small but clean and adequate. Pool towels could be hired from Reception. There is a great guest laundry with 2 washing machines and 2 driers. These were efficient and our clothes emerged completely dry.

Breakfast was adequate, continental was included. Staff in the breakfast room were helpful and friendly.

The room was basic but adequate. There was a double bed and a single. The double looked comfortable, but we both woke up with backache each morning. There was a TV, fridge, wardrobe and 2 small chairs. A safe was available for a small extra fee. The bathroom was small but clean. The only problem with the bathroom was the sloping floors and in particular those in the shower cubicle. If you are not careful, it would be easy to slip and fall.

Wifi is available from an external supplier at a small charge. It was easy to access but did keep turning itself off which was annoying. However it had a range of packages and these were good. I opted for 2 hours that you could spread out over any amount of time. You just logged off each time and could save up the hours. This was a very good system when you are not in the room all day.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Cairns City, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Hi there Hevsy;
Thanks so much for the terrific review, it is very factual and straight forward and says it like it is. You got a bit wet I gather, lucky you aren’t here this week; we’ve had a wicked drenching. I think the wet season has finally arrived – better late than ever! The creeks are well and truly up, water flowing well and the waterfalls are awesome. The waterfalls tours are proving very popular with the punters at present, as are the four-wheel drive tours, rafting and quad biking in the mud!
The few rooms we have with the walk in showers are good for those who can’t step into a shower which is over a bath but they are rounded – goodness knows what our forefathers were thinking when they designed them back in the day – so I do often give any frail oldies who I think need one, a non-slip rubber mat to assist them.
I agree entirely, it’s really hard to have a good night’s sleep in a strange bed, a glass of red usually helps me (mind you I don’t get into strange beds that often LOL). So you both woke up with a backache? Hmmm were you the honeymooners that kept everyone awake? LOL, cheers and thanks again for the review.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed at Cairns Discovery this month and found the accommodation to be nice.

We selected a superior room and were a little disappointed but it still suited our needs. One thing I didn't like was that It overlooked one of their pools - which was turning green from algae. There was also no spa available.

The room was serviced daily and there's an onsite restaurant available. there was also a communal coin operated washer and dryer room with ironing board. Martin on reception was very accommodating in everything we required; from a working hair dryer to day tours.

The location is a bit of a walk to the city centre but its do-able.

Room Tip: We were woken up by our neighbours having a shower but I'm but I'm not sure if that was just...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Cairns City, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Hello Miss Melissa;
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Sorry to hear you were disappointed with the Superior room. We do advertise them as Superior Pool View; if you had mentioned you didn’t like the pool view to us we could have moved you to a ‘car-park view’ room LOL. As for the pool turning green with algae; I am very confused here…our pool is lovely and clean but perhaps it was the reflection from the green vegetation that surrounded the pool that you imagined as ‘algae’? No we don’t have a spa and we have never claimed to have one. If you had paid another $100 per night and stayed at a non-budget hotel, you may have had one as you really do get what you pay for in this world. We are (according to google maps), 350m as the crow flies to the Esplanade and 800m to the City Centre Mall. Some people say it’s close, some it’s far and that is just how people see it, very differently. I am very glad to hear that Martin was so accommodating; we love him and he is very passionate about his job. I am also glad to hear that your neighbours did indeed shower, especially in this humidity. I don’t mean to sound sarcastic really, but I have never had anyone in 10 years complain about a ‘pool view’ and I really am amused. Hope Cairns was an awesome stay for you. Many thanks, Heather

Reviewed 16 February 2014

i stayed in this hotel in april 2013. it was clean and very comfortable. all the staff were friendly and obliging. being 15 to 20 minutes walk from the esplanade it falls outside the more expensive hotels but lacks none of the facilities. my only complaint would be that the restaurant is vietnamese which isnt to my taste. its very quiet appears to be a safe area.

Room Tip: the balcony rooms are better as you dont have vehicles parked directly outside your room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Cairns City, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Hi there Christopher D; thanks for your review, we all appreciate it. We’re glad all was well with your stay and you enjoyed your strolls around town; everything really is nice and close. Cairns isn’t big place so nothing’s far from anything really! Aw… you should have tried the Vietnamese, it’s really scrummy. I had never eaten Vietnamese until the restaurant lessee moved in and I decided to try it. I was quite surprised; I found personally that Vietnamese has different flavours scattered through the one dish, whereas Chinese seems to have the same flavour throughout the dish – well in my experience anyway and as previously mentioned, that’s not great with my ‘wheelie bin’ going out more than I do! Cheers, Heather

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I recently travelled to Cairns for business and stayed at the Discovery because of its great location to the CBD. I found the rooms great as well as al the other amenities on offer! the onsite restaurant was also great and convenient. Would I stay again? you bet :) great job people!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MikeK157166

Hello 'Great' MikeK157166, thanks for your 'Great' review. Wow, what can I say... ‘great’ location, ‘great’ rooms, ‘great’ restaurant, ‘great’ job AND a ‘great’ review! PS… make sure your invoice for this ‘great’ review is not addressed to me personally, won’t you, as my pay packet is far from ‘great’! LOL. Seriously I feel ‘great’ after reading this……

Reviewed 31 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights and enjoyed our stay very much. Staff very friendly and helpful, the room was clean, spacious, comfortable bed. We had a pool view room and it did have a pool view! We had the pool to ourselves most days, very nice as hotel was quiet. Breakfast was included in our room rate. it was continental style - cereal, fruit, toast, tea, coffee, juice. It was nice to have fresh fruit, very refreshing. Only only comment is that the room has no windows - just a sliding door. So at night we slept with door closed for security and the air conditioning on. Many people might like that in such a humid, warm climate but we would prefer fresh air. A very minor issue and we would definitely stay here again and would recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room at rear of complex.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Abi2005

Hello there Abi2005, thanks for your review. Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay, the room was suitable and breaky hit the spot. Yes the Superior rooms at the rear are quiet and a tad spunkier than the Standard rooms out the front. They are still very good value for only $30 per night extra. The Superior rooms are especially popular with our corporate guests as they are centred in the middle of the ‘road block’ and noise is quite limited. When I wander down there (when they let me out of the office) I do notice that many people do like to open those big glass doors right up and sit outside during the day, especially as they do look out on the rear pool and into the plants. Our regular corporates are funny and like the same room each time they stay with us, I guess they feel it’s like home-away-from-home. I guess also when you travel for work and sleep away from home on a regular basis, it’s nice to keep your room the same where possible so when you get up half-asleep in the middle of the night, you don’t face-plant a wall trying to find the loo!

Reviewed 22 January 2014

This hotel was very good, and a good price, with a great location. The rooms were nice and had everything I needed. My only problem with the hotel were the hours kept by reception.

I think I arrived around 11pm and it was all closed up. I found this out only after my travel agent booked the room. I should have done more research beforehand, but I did miss this. I probably would have chosen a different hotel had I realized. However, when I did realize this and contacted the hotel prior to my trip, I got a very prompt reply. As promised, it was easy to get in to my room that night.

It did not open again until 6:30 in the morning when I was expected to formally check in. I had planned on leaving before 6:00 am so that I didn't have to rush to eat breakfast and find where to check in for my GBR tour. I considered going early anyway but didn't. The gentleman at reception was friendly and helpful, but I did have to eat breakfast in a rush. Given how early tours leave for the Reef, I think it should open by 5, or 6 at the latest.

Aside from that, however, it was a great place and if you don't have those issues, then I would recommend this!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Cairns City, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Thanks a bunch for your review. I am really glad you found us suitable for your very brief stay of just a few hours... Gosh, I hope you had your running shoes on that night?
Yes it’s true we don’t have 24 hour reception and the reason is, that would then put prices up and we wouldn’t be able to offer the great budget rates that we do. Here at Discovery we are a small team of three on reception and it’s not possible for us to operate 24 hours per day; it’s simply not viable.
It is a little frustrating that we often get little or no information from travel agents on our guest’s arrival time, nor do we get any contact details to write and ask you when you are arriving. There is a clear sign on the front door (even with pictures for non-English speaking folk) for those arriving late and the lass on the night phone is very friendly and helpful. Not too far from the phone sits our night manager; he is up all night (pretty much) studying and is just a buzz away if anyone needs assistance; he also does regular walks around the property (while everyone’s asleep) to keep a check on all of you!
Apart from the live-aboard tours which are generally pre-arranged, the first tour pickups begin at 6.30am (rafting) and the rest from 7am and we are here every morning from 6.30am to make sure everyone gets on the correct bus! Most guests on live-aboard vessels who are staying with us see us the night before or phone us prior and arrange luggage storage etc in advance; which we provide as a complimentary service.
Well I guess if ‘cruddy’ hours is our only downfall that’s not too bad a review. I must say; if you had been able to check in face-to-face with us and actually see our ugly mugs, you would have written, “Staff should close up earlier; they look ‘cruddy’, like they need all the beauty sleep they can get LOL!” Cheers and thanks again we appreciate your stay with us. Heather (the cruddiest one of all)