“Discovery Hotel, Cairns”

Comfort Inn Cairns City
Ranked #34 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed here before and after visiting the rainforest. Very helpful staff who were happy to store our luggage while we were away.This is an excellent base from which to explore the Rain Forest and the Great Barrier Reef. It is within walking distance of Cairns Esplanade and you must visit the local library to see the flying foxes cohabiting in the trees. There is a lovely cafe for breakfast - turn left outside reception and walk jut a few hundred yards to the cafe on your left. . The room was excellent and spotlessly clean. The pool was directly outside our room. The room offered all that we expected, air conditioning, bar fridge, milk, tea and coffee. A comfortable room.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 227vegas
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Cairns City, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Hi there 227vegas, Thanks for taking time to write a review. So, so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and you found everything as good as gold.

Besides being smellier than my husband's socks, the fruit bats (spectacled flying foxes) are really neat to watch and amaze people as they fly-off at dusk, towards to mountains to eat. They are the largest bats in the World and eat fruit, fruit and more fruit! People often say to me, “We saw them hanging in the trees all day, they weren’t sleeping but squawking and carrying on!” Yep… think about it, if you ate nothing but tropical fruit all night, you’d be squawking all day too! All too often, unsuspecting travellers park under trees for shade and return to their vehicles finding them a different colour, covered in fruit bat soft serve, not good for the car paintwork with all that acid!

Also, glad you found the ‘Jam Drop’ café just near us; yes it’s a great little find. Cheers and thanks a bunch for staying with us and helping us to feed the kids – at 6ft8" they take a lot of feeding!

Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

We have just read through the reviews on this site and are impressed by the replies to some of the more outspoken reviews/comments/observations that your previous patrons have experienced. If nothing else, I hope we're a little disappointed and after constructing a well punctuated and paragraphed review, we receive much the same witty and sarcastic humour that has had us "LOL'ing for the past 10 minutes.

If we get a bed in a private room that's comfortable and convenient, we will be getting what is advertised and considerably good value.

If we wanted all the bells and whistles (and humongous pools) we would've googled,

"massive pool in private spa room that's 35 metres to the Cairns post office".

See you in August. :)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gavin H
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Cairns City, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Hello there Gavin H;

Hmm… how interesting it is to receive a review prior to a guest stay with us; and here I was trying to be serious with all this Trip Advisor ‘mumbo jumbo’? You know, I have thought on occasion that my job may just be in jeopardy when the GM realizes there’s such a thing as Trip Advisor but for now, I’ll endeavour to keep him locked away in his office, too busy to surf the net!

I truly believe there’s nothing as good for the soul as a good belly laugh and I make sure I have one every morning. Firstly, I ‘LOL’ in the morning when I first put my glasses on and secondly, I ‘LOL’ on arrival at work and see my delightful work colleagues Martin and Anthony, who are equally as funny looking as I am! The rest of the day, our guests keep us all laughing.
A ‘besty’ of mine became a paraplegic a couple of years ago; she was a single mum of 3 teenage girls and running her own business at the time of her accident. Her experience changed my outlook on life forever. If I dared to complain (to her) about ‘having to walk 10 minutes to town’ or that ‘wi-fi and breakfast aren’t free’ as some of our guests do to us, she’d scald me and say, “Well H, if that’s all you have to complain about then you aren’t doing bad love!” Oh so true! This friend has just ridden a purpose-built motorcycle across three Australian states ALONE and if she can ‘LOL’ at the amount of times she found her wheelchair rolling down hills (“Do you know how many camp sites are built on slopes H?”), then I can laugh at anything that is thrown my way!.

When I finally put pen to paper and get my ‘dream’ book (about work of course) written, I will have to send you an autographed copy to keep you LOL’ing!

On a serious note, and to assist you to write a ‘review’ worthy of a ‘come back’ post stay, please be ensured that I will make every effort to find you the dingiest, noisiest room I can. If you’re really lucky I might release a jar of cockies (cockroaches), a bucket of sugar ants plus a handful of crumbs in the bed - all free of charge! One problem as you’re coming in August - it’s not as hot then - I might have to bring in extra Algae for the pool to make you feel right at home!

Look forward to meeting you in August, Cheers, Heather

Reviewed 1 April 2014

This is an excellent base from which to explore the Rain Forest , the Tablelands , the Bush and the Great Barrier Reef . We stayed for a week in November .
Awesome experiences enhanced by advice from very helpful management and staff .
The superior room was excellent and spotlessly clean . Good breakfast available just up the road .Very good evening meals in the Vietnamese restaurant downstairs .
Plenty of places to eat and drink in town , about ten minutes walk away .

Room Tip: superior room is the best option
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jen m
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Cairns City, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Hi there Jen M, thanks for taking the time to write a review. Glad to hear you had a great stay with us and enjoyed our Superior rooms. November is a really hot time in Cairns so I hope you managed to cool off and make use of the pool as you were obviously staying in a Superior Pool View room by your review.

I see you found the little café on the corner; they sell awesome food and open up nice and early too handy if you want to take a bite on tour. As I say to most I send there, the chef / owner comes across as quite grumpy most of the time (and they laugh when they come back and agree wholeheartedly) but he offers great home-made food. Us who work here, get our lunch from there quite regularly and it’s always busy and a very well-known little local haunt.

I suppose in the grand scheme of things, it wouldn’t be fair for one to be blessed with everything – meaning cooking skills AND a bright and bubble personality - and he definitely has great cooking skills! Cheers, Heather

I can highly recommend the pecan pie, it’s my favourite for a sweet fix!

Reviewed 25 March 2014

My husband and I spent seven nights in a superior pool view room. The pool was directly outside our room. The room offered all that one would expect, air conditioning, bar fridge, tea and coffee. A comfortable bed in a quiet area of the hotel.

We found the continental breakfast in the on site restaurant adequate and even had dinner there on one of the nights. The dinner menu offered many choices and the food was amazing. More amazing was the size of the meals, they were huge.

We also took part in a half day 4WD tour of Kuranda Rainforest. Terry was our guide, we really enjoyed the experience.

Last but not least I would like to thank all of the staff. They couldn't help enough, organising transfers, booking tours and answering any questions we had.

Then there was housekeeping, every day we returned to a freshly made bed and items restocked. The rooms are spotlessly clean which is a credit to the staff.

We loved our stay and would definitely return in the future

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elizabeth C
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Cairns City, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Hello Elizabeth C;
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Wow so glad your stay was awesome, we try – don’t always succeed – but we try!

Yes, the half day 4WD tour over the mountains is very exclusive through locked gates where no one else has access and stopping at the creek to wade in the crystal clear water under the trees is so relaxing. I did this tour recently too, with Jason and we saw 2 huge lace monitors, a snake crossing the track and had a good belly laugh along the way! Both Lake Morris and the waterfalls were beautiful as they generally are this time of year after rain.

I will pass on to the staff that you found them helpful; we have all been here a long time and love our job (most of the time LOL) and really get a buzz out of helping people have the best holiday and go on tours that best match their age, skills, interests and hip pockets wherever possible. I will also let the boys in housekeeping know you were really happy with their service; goes to show they aren’t always sipping a cocktail by the pool when we can’t locate them!

We look forward to having you stay with us again; that would be great. We get lots of return guests year after year and we think that’s awesome. PS the cheque’s in the mail for the review as promised (LOL)! Kind Regards, Heather

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed at this resort for four days and read other reviews and decided to book i was surprised to arrive to find what is essentially a motel not a resort of any kind and the reviews of the vietanmese resturant were good but i must say the food was to say the least overpriced and very ordinary....there may be a reason as the owner who is the chef was not working and the whole place lacks atmosphere. Now to the pools i have a large pool at my home address and there two pools would fit easily into my one they were so small one would call them a cooling down pool cant swim dive or jump as they r to small and both in need of cleaning and updating

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Cairns City, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Hello davtom; Thanks for staying with us; I am sorry we were such a disappointment to you but Crickeys, if I were lucky enough to have a pool as big as the one you have at home I don't think I'd need a holiday!

I am curious; are you sure you checked into the right property? Here at Discovery Cairns Hotel (no resort in our advertising) we have 53 budget-friendly hotel/motel-style rooms which are clearly photographed with room amenities listed on our website. Staying with us, you would have paid under $100 per night whereas 'resorts' with 'huge pools' will generally set you back twice that per night and more!

Our front pool is rectangular and 3.6m x 7.5m (water area) and our rear pool is the shape of an alcoholic's kidney being 12m in length with one end being 5m wide and the stair area being 3m wide; the average Queensland bath is .762m x 1.52m (30 inches x 60 inches). I actually measured all this with a tape measure myself, just for you, as I know I can't rely on the boys I work with for guessing distance, they always call ‘4 inches’ ‘6’ and 'up the road' ‘6 blocks’! Oh, and I jumped in to the smaller pool to test your theory and you'll be happy to know that even with my over-sized rear end, I managed it without injury; there might not be any water left, but I did fit so it has to be bigger than a bath tub!

Unfortunately I can't speak for the restaurant as that is independently run but I am concerned that the owner/chef wasn't working that night, I hope she wasn't out washing the dishes in the pool LOL?

I have Lan’s menu in my hand as I type (I'm good at multi-tasking). Entrees are $5 to $12.50, Soups are $15.50 to $18.50 and General Mains are $17.50 to $21.50 and are quite large serves. One more expensive dish on the general nightly menu is the 'Crispy Barramundi Fillet with Sweet and Sour Sauce and Salad' at $28.00. I guess it depends on where you come from as to whether you perceive those prices as expensive or not, I think they’re pretty good prices myself, especially when you see the size meal you get dished up.

In regards to atmosphere davtom, I can’t comment on Lan’s restaurant on the night, but when I do dine out myself, I have a wine or two to relax and it helps no end with atmosphere – then it doesn’t matter if the punters around me are dull and boring, my table always rocks!

Thanks again for your stay and review and enjoy that pool of yours! Cheers, Heather

Reviewed 15 March 2014

This is a good little place for a couple of days. The location is fine, about 15 minutes walk from town, which is not a problem, unless you get caught in a thunderstorm as we did! It is on 2 levels and in the style of a motel with car parking space outside each room. Reception was good and the staff very friendly, helpful and welcoming. I believe they would be a useful resource for booking tours but we did not need this.There are 2 pools, both small but clean and adequate. Pool towels could be hired from Reception. There is a great guest laundry with 2 washing machines and 2 driers. These were efficient and our clothes emerged completely dry.

Breakfast was adequate, continental was included. Staff in the breakfast room were helpful and friendly.

The room was basic but adequate. There was a double bed and a single. The double looked comfortable, but we both woke up with backache each morning. There was a TV, fridge, wardrobe and 2 small chairs. A safe was available for a small extra fee. The bathroom was small but clean. The only problem with the bathroom was the sloping floors and in particular those in the shower cubicle. If you are not careful, it would be easy to slip and fall.

Wifi is available from an external supplier at a small charge. It was easy to access but did keep turning itself off which was annoying. However it had a range of packages and these were good. I opted for 2 hours that you could spread out over any amount of time. You just logged off each time and could save up the hours. This was a very good system when you are not in the room all day.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Cairns City, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Hi there Hevsy;
Thanks so much for the terrific review, it is very factual and straight forward and says it like it is. You got a bit wet I gather, lucky you aren’t here this week; we’ve had a wicked drenching. I think the wet season has finally arrived – better late than ever! The creeks are well and truly up, water flowing well and the waterfalls are awesome. The waterfalls tours are proving very popular with the punters at present, as are the four-wheel drive tours, rafting and quad biking in the mud!
The few rooms we have with the walk in showers are good for those who can’t step into a shower which is over a bath but they are rounded – goodness knows what our forefathers were thinking when they designed them back in the day – so I do often give any frail oldies who I think need one, a non-slip rubber mat to assist them.
I agree entirely, it’s really hard to have a good night’s sleep in a strange bed, a glass of red usually helps me (mind you I don’t get into strange beds that often LOL). So you both woke up with a backache? Hmmm were you the honeymooners that kept everyone awake? LOL, cheers and thanks again for the review.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed at Cairns Discovery this month and found the accommodation to be nice.

We selected a superior room and were a little disappointed but it still suited our needs. One thing I didn't like was that It overlooked one of their pools - which was turning green from algae. There was also no spa available.

The room was serviced daily and there's an onsite restaurant available. there was also a communal coin operated washer and dryer room with ironing board. Martin on reception was very accommodating in everything we required; from a working hair dryer to day tours.

The location is a bit of a walk to the city centre but its do-able.

Room Tip: We were woken up by our neighbours having a shower but I'm but I'm not sure if that was just...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Heather-in-accounts, Operations Coordinator at Comfort Inn Cairns City, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Hello Miss Melissa;
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Sorry to hear you were disappointed with the Superior room. We do advertise them as Superior Pool View; if you had mentioned you didn’t like the pool view to us we could have moved you to a ‘car-park view’ room LOL. As for the pool turning green with algae; I am very confused here…our pool is lovely and clean but perhaps it was the reflection from the green vegetation that surrounded the pool that you imagined as ‘algae’? No we don’t have a spa and we have never claimed to have one. If you had paid another $100 per night and stayed at a non-budget hotel, you may have had one as you really do get what you pay for in this world. We are (according to google maps), 350m as the crow flies to the Esplanade and 800m to the City Centre Mall. Some people say it’s close, some it’s far and that is just how people see it, very differently. I am very glad to hear that Martin was so accommodating; we love him and he is very passionate about his job. I am also glad to hear that your neighbours did indeed shower, especially in this humidity. I don’t mean to sound sarcastic really, but I have never had anyone in 10 years complain about a ‘pool view’ and I really am amused. Hope Cairns was an awesome stay for you. Many thanks, Heather