“Not sure where the value for money is?”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Cairns

Hilton Cairns
Ranked #7 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Sydney, Australia
“Not sure where the value for money is?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

Upon arriving at the hotel about an hour earlier than check in I was advised that my room was not yet available and that check in time is 2pm. Fair enough I had left my bags with concierge and gone for a walk down the Marina. When I returned to the hotel at 1.55pm I had been given a strange look as in "who are you?" - even though I was served by the same check in attendant only an hour ago.

To give an idea, I had requested a standby upgrade - which isn't free - and I had also booked late check out which is additional in charge as well. Upon receiving my key to my room at 2.10pm - after check in time - I wasn't even told which room type I had been given? Was I in the deluxe as booked, or did I get the upgrade to the Deluxe with spa room? Coming from service industry background of over 10 years I found that to be a slight disappointment and not the best first impression of the Hilton Cairns staff.

When I got to my room I quite pleasantly surprised at the decor and the layout of the room - the mini bar location and the size of the room in general. Only a few months ago though I stayed at the Holiday Inn in one of the deluxe ocean view rooms. I have to admit that their room would definitely be giving the Hilton a run for it's money in appearance and facilities.

Nevertheless, the beds are very comfortable, and the options for sleeping, sitting, and working are also very handy. There is a chair with a foot stool next to the bed, as well as a glass work area and a leather desk chair in addition to a small outdoor table and chairs on the balcony which overlooks the inlet. On one side the water views have a backdrop of the mountains which were covered by cloud and/or fog most of the time I was here - giving it such a different feel overall.

The pool and gym are slightly hidden away from the rest of the hotel and at first I felt as if I needed a map to find where it was. There is only a sign to say what floor it is on and that's it. Once you get out of the lift there is no sign pointing you towards the pool or the gym whatsoever. It's a slight guessing game.

If you are driving take advantage of the Valet service which is $15 per day with unlimited in/out access - parking is $9 every entry - in/out twice and you've already paid more - not to mention that you have had to do it yourself as well.

Breakfast was at Hanuman restaurant located behind the lifts in the lobby area. Great location overlooking the gardens and the mountains/marina are although another disappointment at breakfast. As previous hotel in Cairns the offering just wasn't there. I am still to be amazed and impressed as I was at the Holiday Inn Gold Coast who had the largest and most amazing buffet ever.

Aside from Hanuman there are a couple of other restaurants located adjacent to the Hilton and along the Marina there are quite a few others all with different styles and cultural dishes as well ranging from Asian to Middle Eastern and Modern Oz. Hanuman did have the most amazing aromas but I didn't have dinner while I was on site.

In room internet is just as expensive as anywhere else at $29 for a day. If you require internet for an extended period of time get a 3G wireless usb stick which comes with a small amount already included - I'm a heavy internet user and I am certain that I have not used more than 1gb over night - definitely not worth the $29 fee considering for an extra $20 I could have got the usb stick and 2gb included data download.

I would consider staying at the Hilton again if the opportunity arose, although it would be price dependant. There are quite a few superior standard properties that do match that of the Hilton in the area.

All in all I was satisfied with my stay, even though at check in the staff did not seem to know what was going on or whether my room was ready when I returned. I have to say that the remaining staff including house keeping made up for this.

Room Tip: After making your booking request from reservations to send you your booking and request upgrades on...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 15 September 2011
Dear sir, Thank you for the Tripadvisor review – I appreciate the commentary. Please accept my apologies for the confusion on arrival. Check in time is from 2.00pm onwards however we’ll always endeavour to check our guest’s in as soon as they arrive if we have the room available – I’m sorry in your case we weren’t able to assist early.
I’m pleased to read you found your accommodation clean and comfortable, and enjoyed the hotel’s central location – there certainly is plenty to see and do in close proximity. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Your sincerely,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

This hotel provided a pretty standard weekend getaway in Cairns. I got an upgrade to the Spa room which to be honest wasnt really worth the money- just a standard room with a spa bath in it. The rooms were comfortable and the staff were polite.

The pool was lovely and there was a good hotel gym, accessible 24 hours a day.

Where this hotel wins out though is its great central location, putting you in the heart of Cairns and close to the Marina for that all important escape to the Reef.

If you are looking for a luxurious holiday getaway- for something special, you are probably going to go somewhere further north, say to Port Douglas or Palm Beach. If you are looking for something with good facilities and a few creature comforts, rather than just a bunk house, I think this is a good stay. I'd actually rate this 3 1/2 (but there aren't any halves)

Room Tip: arrive early, they might offer you a cheap upgrade
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 7 September 2011
Dear robkielty

Thank you for the TripAdvisor review. I’m pleased you’ve enjoyed your stay and you found the location of the hotel to a premium and the hotel team were friendly and polite. Noting you’re Brisbane based – I hope we’ll have the chance to welcome you back again.

La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

We upgraded to the VIP or Executive level and had free appetizers and free drinks each night in the lounge which paid for itself (for the upgrade). Our first night in Australia was spent here and our first sunset we spent out on the balcony and watched the amazing flying foxes (bats) fly by. What an experience! The view in the daytime is as awesome as the lights and flying foxes are in the evening. I would upgrade to the VIP level anytime it's possible and I would stay at this hotel in a heart beat! We didn't have time to snorkel at the great barrier reef so we'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the VIP or Executive Level....it's worth it!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear The_Villa_Hermosa,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review of Hilton Cairns. I’m pleased to read that you’ve enjoyed your stay so much – it sounds like a great way to start your Australian experience. Being situated on the top floor of the hotel the view and atmosphere from the Executive Floor, overlooking the Cairns Esplanade, is very picturesque. I hope we can welcome you back another time.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

My mother and I stayed at the Hilton in Cairns for a girl’s extended weekend away. What initially attracted us to the hotel was its location - which is fabulous. It is on the main street in Cairns, The Esplanade, and overlooks the water, with great shopping and restaurants within walking distance. The staff, in particular the front desk and concierge, were wonderful. They were so welcoming and helpful. I cannot speak any more highly of them. They made us feel really special. The room we had was a Double Hilton Deluxe, which overlooked the water. Such beautiful views, with a balcony for us to sit and enjoy watching the boats come in and out. The room was lovely, very fresh, clean and modern. Unfortunately, the hotel's design lets itself down. The way it is set up - atrium style - makes it extremely noisy, in particular with hotel doors slamming shut and people walking around. And then we had two weddings at the hotel on the Saturday night, and the music was very loud. So, overall, if you want a clean, friendly and easy access location - this hotel is for you. If you are a light sleeper, you may want to reconsider.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 29 August 2011
Dear Kadda79

Thank you for taking the time to complete your Tripadvisor review. It’s great to read your ‘Girl’s Weekend’ was a success and that you and your Mum have enjoyed our unique waterfront location. It’s a great place to watch the passing boat traffic from such a premium position. Sorry to read you found the open atrium style of the hotel to be noisy. Having now just finished upgrading the hotel security with new State of the Art door locking systems – this has allowed us to adjust door mechanisms so they close more gently… I’m confident that next time you return you’ll find this a significant improvement.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

We stayed at Hilton Cairns for 5 nights celebrating my birthday. Check in was quick and pleasant but we were told parking was $9 every exit. OMG that's a total rip off. All the hotels & apartments we been parking rates were a set price per night. So we recommend to park outside along side of the hotel where it'll be so how cheaper. No worries no one will mess up the car. Its so peaceful in Cairns.

Room was small but very comfortable looking at the waterview. We were told the room on the sixth room was upgraded but it doesn't seem like it. In our opinion the bathroom needs more work done where the shower is.

Buffet breakfast is yummy every morning. You can make requests on what you would like to eat & drink. What surprised us was one waiter remembered what we like to eat every morning instead of repeating every morning. A+ to that waiter. Sorry we didn't get a chance to get he's name.

Every morning we were greeted warmly before heading off to explore & was also greeted again once we got back. It made our day much more special.

Internet was provided free in the business service room, you'll need to ask for internet voucher at the front counter.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay & would recommend Hilton Cairns to everyone.

3 Thank MeLuvHolidays
Dear GucciBabe

Happy Birthday firstly !!. Thank you for the recommendation to fellow travellers. I’m pleased to read you enjoyed your stay finding the Breakfast an enjoyable experience. Sorry to learn that you found the car-parking expensive at $9.00. This is our ‘Self Park’ option and usually taken by those who park and leave the car for the night – the other option is a Valet parking service where you are charged $15 per day, irrespective of your number of entry/exits. I’m sure it was great to escape the Melbourne Winter and I hope we can welcome you back again.

Brisbane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

Have stayed at Hilton Cairns many times over the years and have found the rooms to always be lovely albeit a bit small. The beds are amazing and the views spectacular but I think I could do with a bit more space. Saying that I have just stayed in the hotel rooms and know there are larger rooms available a a bigger cost.
The service is always very good as you would expect from a 5 star establishment but the internet is very expensive and the room service could be alot better for the $39 nachos!!
Overall this is a quality establishment but it doesnt compare to that of the Hiltons in Sydney or Melbourne, but then again this is Cairns!

Room Tip: See if you can get an upgrade or pay a bit more for a better room!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Dear Archeoboy84

Your Tripadvisor comments are appreciated – thank you. It’s great to read you enjoyed your stay although you did comment on the room size – guests will sometimes chose to upgrade to a Spa Suite provides an additional Living area (and being on the top 2 floors has great view also). I am concerned to read of the $39 Nachos charge – the actually price is $19.50. Please review your account and contact me directly via cairns@hilton.com if you have, in fact, been charged the $39.00. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to North Queensland.

Townsville, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

We stayed 3 night (Thursday, Friday, Saturday) on a long week-end away for leisure. Our room was a Standard Hilton Guest Room on the 4th floor (lowest level with accommodation) City View. This was apparently the last available room in the Hotel.

We have stayed at the hotel before and found it remained up to standard.

We ate at the restaurant for dinner and breakfast, used room service and valet parking.
Our stay was very nice and relaxing. Our room was spacious enough with two queen beds, refurbished bathroom and a very pleasant balcony with views to over CBD, Casino and The Esplanade through trees. There was a lovely comfortable bed with great pillows, big TV and pleasant decor, even though it was dark, Hilton brown colours.

I enjoyed relaxing on the balcony with a paper, drinking coffee and generally unwinding. Even from the lowest accommodation floor the view was good. At this hotel you will get a City View or a Water View over the Inlet. Either is very pleasant. The way the hotel is designed and located, I don’t think it is possible to get a room with no outlook, or directly facing another building.

The location is excellent, one of the best, if not the best in Cairns. Maybe the Shangri-la would be better, but I have not stayed there. The Hilton is on the waterfront, across the road from the Casino, near the ferry departure point. The city centre is an easy walk. Located at one end of the Esplanade, allows easy access to the walkway, park and pools. The hotel also has an excellent pool, which we did not use on this visit.
In addition to the hotel restaurants there are many excellent places to eat along the waterfront right next to the hotel.

The room had a lovely shower, over the bath (and I am fussy about my showers) that gave plenty of excellent hot water. The only downside was the lack of a proper shower screen. Water flooded everywhere !!! The room was originally designed for a bath with a shower curtain, and in renovations it has been replaced with a very short section of glass at the shower end of the bath. Not really adequate. However, I know from previous stays some other room categories have proper showers.

The restaurant Hanuman was excellent if you like spicy food. I thoroughly recommend. We did not try the Mondo Cafe Bar and Grill, but it may be more suitable if you do not like spicy food, but there is just about every option you can think of a short walk from the hotel.

Buffet breakfast was good, with a huge selection of Asian breakfast food catering for the majority tourist crowd. Western options were very good too. They actually managed to keep the bacon and sausages hot, which is feat for most buffet breakfasts. Eggs can be cooked to order.
S
ervice was good, friendly and efficient, although I did have to drag my bags up the stairs and into the foyer before a porter materialised. It would have been nice to be met curb side.

Overall this is a really good hotel and I will stay again.

Minor areas of disappointment: (these are minor, but I am know to be fussy)
- No porter/doorman to help with luggage into hotel.
- On the first evening room service delivered our Latte’s in paper cups!!! At room service prices I expect china or glass. Subsequent evenings our request for proper cups was cheerfully complied with.
- Room service meal was cold. Keeping meals hot is a challenge, but some places manage to achieve it. Despite the tepid temperature, the food was fine.
- High Speed Broadband wasn’t!!! At first it was as slower than an old dial up connection. When I complained, the staff cheerfully offered to reboot the server. When I tried again later the connection did not work at all. I was referred to the external service provider. After a number of phone calls to remote a remote help desk, there was no solution and we gave up. For us this was a minor inconvenience, but I can imagine for a business person the lack of internet access could have been a major issue. On check-out reception cheerfully credited the $29.95 charge for internet usage, when I pointed out that I was reluctant to pay for something that did not work.
- Noise penetrated our room. Not from activity outside the hotel, as this seemed well insulated, but from people in the corridor and other rooms doors slamming closed. The doors had a heavy duty return mechanism and tended to close with an almightly thump. It did not worry us, as we are heavy sleepers. Perhaps a light sleeper may have been concerned.

Tips:
- When booking Hilton I always recommend searching for discounted rates through third party channels. The Hilton lowest price guarantee on their website is not to be believed. However on this trip we did book direct with the hotel as third part channels showed the hotel as full.
- If you have a car, consider using the valet parking. They charged $15 per day for the valet parking and $9 per entry for the park yourself option. Not only is the valet parking more convenient, but if you go in and out more than once each day, it is cheaper.
- If you want to eat breakfast at the hotel, make sure you get it included in your rate. This will work out cheaper than getting a room only rate and then paying for the breakfast. Especially if there are two of you. Check costs when reserving in case things have changed.

Dear Knowntobefussy

Thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of the Hilton Cairns - you have covered everything !. I’m very pleased to read that you’ve enjoyed the hotel, the unique location and the friendly team – these are key elements to a great experience. Noting you’ve stayed with us before I’m sure you found the newly refurbished rooms to be of a high standard .. of course the great view from your private balcony has always been a key feature. I acknowledge the minor areas of concern and these have been addressed internally as being constructive feedback – thank you. We all look forward to welcoming you on your next trip to Cairns.