“Just Average”
Review of Hilton Cairns

Hilton Cairns
Ranked #5 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 12 December 2011

The rooms were nice, but the staff and cleaning crew were subpar.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2011

Dear Kelley F,

Thank you for your response about Hilton Cairns. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the stay and found our rooms to be nice.

We do hope to see you again at Hilton Cairns in the near future.

John Lucas | General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,382)

Reviewed 11 December 2011

The Hilton Cairns is located right on the wharf close to shopping, tours and fishing. The hotel employee's were the most helpful I have ever seen at almost any hotel, but especially a Hilton. You are walking distance to most everything in downtown Cairns. The emp's go out of their way to help you find things to do and places to go. Everyone of them greets you when you come and go from the hotel making you feel special. Maybe it was a slow week while we were there, but it was the best Hitlon we have ever stayed at.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Executive level. The Executive Club is worth every penny of the upgrade cost. Also...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear WAtraveler75

Thank you for your recent comments posted about Hilton Cairns. It sounds like you both enjoyed a great holiday to Cairns. The hotel is in a great location for all activities, including Reef Trips, shopping and restaurants, and I am glad to hear that you were able to experience all of the wonderful things to do in and around Cairns. I am pleased to also read that our team were pleasant and helpful throughout your stay. This comes easy to our team members and I am happy that they were able to pass on some of their local knowledge.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 9 December 2011

Was in Cairns for a business course and had the pleasure of staying at the Cairns Hilton. The Hotel itself is nicely situated and has superb views of Trinity inlet. I must say the room was well set out, very clean and had a lovely bathroom with spa. I sat out on the rooms balcony with a coffee in hand and enjoyed watching the boats, yachts etc... passing by. Went for a drink in the bar before dinner and was impressed with my cocktail. My husband and I had dinner at the Hannuman restaurant. FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! This is one of the best restaurants I have ever been to, food was beautiful, staff attentive, a great credit to the hotel. Overall I would highly recommend staying at the Cairns Hilton due to the staff being so nice and the atmosphere being lovely.

Room Tip: Had a room on the eighth floor with great views.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business

Dear anniebb41

I very much appreciate you taking the time to comment on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at Hilton Cairns. I have to say our hotel is in on of the best locations in Cairns and I am happy to read you were able to enjoy the spectacular view of Trinity Inlet. I am also pleased to read that you found our rooms well equipped and our team, very friendly and helpful.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon on your next trip to Cairns.

Reviewed 9 December 2011

The customer service was wonderful. We were upgraded to an oceanfront room, which was a great surprise. Breakfast buffet was fantastic. Everyone there went out of their way to make our stay special.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear mitchek

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at Hilton Cairns. I am delighted to read that your time with us was enjoyable and that the buffet breakfast and team members left a favourable impression.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again at Hilton Cairns.

Reviewed 2 December 2011

1800 Hilton reps were clueless (and not professional) to what Hilton Cairns could/could not do. I made my reservation through them and they guaranteed me interconnecting rooms. If it weren't for the email interaction with Ms. Kitamura (reservations AT Cairns), I would not have had connecting rooms and my kids would have been on a different floor. We had one issue when we checked in and that was that the interconnecting doors were jammed, but the night time manager was able to open them. Had we had to switch rooms after a day of travel I would have not been happy, but the night manager was very courteous and helpful. The extra pillows as well as the fruit that I had ordered to be in the room when we arrived was there as I requested. I agree with other reviewers about the spa bathtub being small and really it's just for one average size adult. My 6' 4" husband did not try to use it and probably would have been uncomfortable. Had we had the chance to do it again, I would have not spent the money on the upgrade. Housekeeping was awesome. When they fixed the kids beds, the put their stuffed animals in the middle. The kids really liked that. Rooms were smaller than some other hotel chains, but the hotel itself was nice. The front desk people were AWESOME and even offered to call on our behalf to the transport service (Sun Palm) that failed to pick us up at the airport the previous night. In the lobby the next morning while waiting for our tour to pick us up, hotel staff offered to take a picture of me and my family AND upon checking out the night time manager made sure that we had our taxi exactly when we requested it (he called and made the request for us) AND helped carry out our luggage to the car. What this hotel may lack in the room size it makes up with customer service. It IS in a great location, right on the waterfront, close to the boat terminals, walking distant to train terminal and right in the heart of Cairns and 15 minute taxi (which I would highly recommend) from the airport. I would recommend the Hilton, but not the spa room. Although I do like being higher up to be able to take in the views so again, might consider the executive floor as an option. Maybe splurge on the executive floor or save your money for other things and stick with their basic rooms (they run specials and you can find some for $125 AUD/night sometimes if you book in advance). My family also used the pool and the kids loved it. They had flotation noodles that made the pool experience more enjoyable and we found the pool to be fairly large and the area to be clean. We appreciate that towels were down in the area as well. We tried out the restaurant on the first morning for breakfast and found the customer service to be the same top notch as we have experienced through the hotel. Very helpful with recommendations for us. We ordered room service on the last night, 2 hot chocolate containers and some desserts and it was delicious. My only complain which I'm sure most would agree with is not having free (or at least more reasonably priced) internet access in the rooms. $29 per day or .55/min is pretty high, not what I expected at a higher end hotel. Oh and if you need tour assistance, the hotel does have a tour desk right by the front desk. The people who worked there were also very helpful. We enjoyed our stay and mostly enjoyed the great customer service that we received.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 8th floor, reef hotel side and were able to see views of the mountain and the main...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2011

Dear Family Explorer,

Thank you for the comprehensive review of Hilton Cairns – it’s greatly appreciated. I’m sorry to read of the confusion on booking with your Interconnecting room – I’m glad we were able to sort out correctly for your arrival.
You highlight some key features of the hotel – being the great Location on the Cairns Waterfront and just a short walk to many of the attractions. Thank you also for detailing the great Customer Service experience, and I’m very pleased to read that you encountered this throughout your hotel interactions. I hope you’ll have the opportunity to visit Australia again some time and enjoy some Tropical North Queensland hospitality.

Reviewed 30 November 2011

The room was nice, quiet and the beds were very comfy (apart from the fact we wanted one bed and not two). Except that, when I hopped into bed, I lifted the sheets and all on the underside were black stains. When we ordered room service, I ordered a pasta, and my partner ordered prawns. I don't know how they prepared our food, but my pasta (and I'm no seafood eater) smelt horrible and tasted horrible too, it was as if they had cooked our meals in the same pan! All I could taste was prawns!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the Tripadvisor review. I appreciate the feedback on the bedding – be assured that our Housekeeping standards are of the highest level and, without seeing the linen in question, I can’t determine why you noticed a black stain. Your comments on the Room Service food have been passed to the Executive Chef for his review.
I note you’re a local, so please look out for local Specials we run from time to time if you’re in the need of a weekend break.

Reviewed 24 November 2011

We bought a king room suite with a breakfast and wine on arrival package. After reminding them of what was included in the package they still forgot twice to have it ready in our room, not service I would expect from the Hilton. Happy hour was advertised in their bar, yet when we went to have a drink we waited at least 15 minutes and no staff were to be seen. Other than the service issues, the hotel has been refurbed really well. Good spot opposite Casino and boardwalk to boats.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Tracyk,

Thank you for the feedback via Tripadvisor.. I’m sorry to read that you encountered service problems and these have been noted for review. It’s great that you note the full refurbishment that we completed mid this year and you enjoyed our premium Waterfront position.