“Dissapointing”
Review of Hilton Cairns

Ranked #6 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Very average for a 5 star hotel. Our room was very plain, the place looks run down, the pool bar wasn't even open and room service left a lot to be desired, especially for the price you pay. Worst honeymoon destination ever.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jacinta K
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

Dear Jacinta,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review. I’m sorry to read that your time here was not to enjoyable. I note your stay was back in October last year so I’m not able to track back and determine why the pool area was closed, we do conduct essential maintenance from time to time (painting etc) so possibly it was one of those periods. It’s worth noting also that we recently conducted a full refurbishment of the building exterior and interior and our gardens. I’m sure if you were to return, you would note quite a change.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Cairns

Reviewed 31 May 2012

Me and my wife stayed here for 1 week. While the trip was a good one there were a few shortcomings by the hotel. The pool area was not too a high standard, even though we didn't go in the summer it didn't feel like a Hilton area to us (Flakey paint, messy etc.) Also went for drinks at "Happy Hour" in the downstairs bar but staff weren't overly friendly and didn't seem to know much about the specials, would have been better if they had a menu with the "Happy Hour" drinks on it. Room was nice. All in all not a bad trip but could have been better.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Girvatron

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the review via Tripadvisor. I’m sorry to read you found aspects of your stay were not to your satisfaction. I note you stayed back in September last year and in the meantime we’ve continued to upgrade areas of the hotel including the Pool area, public facilities, the exterior and gardens. I hope we can welcome you back again when next you travel to the Tropical North.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Refurbished hotel - quite nicely done. Rooms are good, restaurant is fine. Good position. Service is 'North Queensland Casual'. Seems to cater for Japanese tourists as most things are translated into Japanese. Long queue to check out. They charge a 1.5% credit card surcharge and also no free wifi in the room which is a disgrace in 2012. Gym is very basic and did not appear to have any airconditioning.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the review via Tripadvisor. It's great to read you've enjoyed your stay here making reference to our prime waterfront location and our great restaurant. The Tropical North is a favorite destination for international visitors to Australia and we aim to make everyone's stay as comfortable as possible, that includes providing multi-lingual staff and signage where needed.
I hope we can welcome you back on your next visit to Cairns.

John Lucas| General Manager

Reviewed 27 May 2012

My husband surprised me by organising a night away for me at our local Hilton Hotel, while he stayed home and looked after our young son.

The hotel is about 25 years old and is in a wonderful location at the southern end of the Cairns Esplanade. It is close to the CBD, casino and cruise terminal and has lovely views of Trinity Inlet and the hinterland.

Check-in was smooth- my sign-in sheet and key were all ready to go which was great, given my husband had only booked the room a few hours earier.

Given that the hotel was busy with a wedding and businesswomen's function and given the lastminute internet cheapie price we paid, I did not expect to be given one of the best rooms and this certainly turned out to be the case. I had room 711 which is right in front of the lifts and everyone getting out on floor 7 would have to walk past it. The rooms open off a beautiful atrium but given the open nature of the atrium, all passageways are tiled. The room had terrible soundproofing- I could hear the clatter of shoes from everyone who walked by, their conversations word for word and the dinging of the lifts all night. This was not a major issue for me as I am a heavy sleeper but I could imagine this would drive other people crazy. In fairness, I think the location of this particular room near the lifts and at an intersection contributed greatly to the noise and I am sure any other room would have not had as much noise.

The room itself was spotless and had a great view of Trinity Bay, The Esplanade, the city and surrounding hills. I could even see the slope on which my house is positioned out to the west. The monstrous Harbour Lights building blocked a bit of the view but that is certainly not the Hilton's fault!

I understand that the Hilton is being fully renovated and my room was not one of the renovated ones. The furniture and fittings were a bit dated but everything seemed well-maintained and in working order. There was a nice balcony with a table setting where you could watch the sun go down. Unfortunately, the bed was a bit too soft for my liking- I woke up with a bit of a sore back as the bed didn't seem to have enough support. Others may prefer this though.

I checked out the room service menu and was pleased to see a small selection from the wonderful restaurant, Hanuman, included, as well as the usual standard fare. I ordered my favourite Hanuman item, Bombay Pakoras as well as a bottle of bubbly (the drinks menu was very well-priced). Room service arrived within 25 minutes and everything was perfect.

I had intended to have breakfast in bed but decided against this for two reasons-

1. The hotel did not provide Queensland's Sunday paper, The Sunday Mail (a marvellous trashy tabloid, perfect for breakfast in bed). I had asked for the Sunday Mail on check-in and was told they only provided The Weekend Australian and the Weekend Cairns Post. Both these papers are published on Saturday. Unbelievable that a 5 star hotel does not provide a readily available statewide Sunday paper which gets delivered to my suburban Cairns home prior to 6.00am every Sunday.
2. Hot items and coffee could not be ordered individually from the breakfast menu, without ordering the entire continental breakfast as well. I did not want juice, danishes, cereal etc. I just wanted waffles and a pot of coffee. Furthermore, there were no prices on the doorknob menu. It referred to the guest services book for prices but I could not find anything in reference to in-room dining breakfast prices. Now, I am sure if I rang room service, something could have been arranged with waffles only and the prices. But when you are having a baby-free alone night, who could be bothered? So this and the lack of a Sunday paper meant I had breakfast elsewhere.

The hotel is in a great location and I am keen to go back once all the rooms are renovated. Next time I will book a little more in advance so hopefully will avoid the noisy intersection /lift rooms. But if the Sunday paper thing is not changed, I will have to avoid Saturday nights as I really need my newspaper at breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Dear Terri,

Thank you for taking the time to write a comprehensive review of Hilton Cairns. I’m sorry to read you had a few minor issues and these will be highlighted to the team for review. We definitely do have the Sunday Mail available so I’m not sure why that was not available on the Sunday of your stay. I’m glad you enjoyed the location with the views across the city and water and mountains in the background. As a local – I hope we can welcome you back again when next you need a short break.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

I had a very good stay here for 3 days. I had a room on the spa floor facing the water which was very nice. I got executive lounge access which was a definite bonus--I recommend this to everyone. The staff were superb there!
All the staff I encountered were very friendly and helpful.
The location of this hotel is the best in Cairns!
The reasons why I didn't give it a 5/5 are:
#1). Breakfast could be a better.
#2). Internet service NEEDS to improve--this is the major flaw of the hotel. The service which is provided by Inter-touch needs major improvement!!! I lost internet access periodically which was frustrating.
#3). The toilet flush needs some major work as well.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

Dear traveller,

Thank you for the review of Hilton Cairns via TripAdvisor. I appreciate the feedback on the areas of improvement and pick up your point on the Internet. We are currently renewing our service offering, and will soon have a solution offering our guests greater speed functionality. It’s great to read that you found the team here in the hotel and our ideal waterfront location as being highlights. I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 21 May 2012 via mobile

The team at the excursion desk was fantastic helping us book trips and offering personal opinion. We loved all our trips. The hotel was clean, location was perfect, staff in exec lounge were incredibly attentive. Great stay.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 19 May 2012

We stayed three nights at the beginning of our stay in Australia. Arrived at 10am, 36 hrs after last contact with a shower. Room was not yet ready, but we were directed to the pool showers by the front desk and shortlly thereafter, the room was ready. We did the upgrade to an Executive Floor room, and it was well worth the cost. Nice breakfast with good choices, nice happy hour every evening. The canapes at night were a little less than stellar, but were adequate. Nice wines, good choice of beers - the only complaint was that the liquor brands were anything but premium. I think the hotel could do better.
Nice spacious room, with a magnificent shower head. Large, soft, oversize towels. Only complaint about the bath was the European style lack of enclosure, allowing water to splash onto the floor. Only complaint about the room itself was the overly soft beds - no lumbar support, whatever.
Best part of this hotel was the service - everyone from the front desk to the concierge to the attendants in the Executive lounge was at the top of his/her game. Anne and Gemma in the lounge were especially welcoming - friendly, helpful, anxious to be of service. If only Hilton could clone them for their American properties!
Nice hotel experience - rating would have been excellent instead of very good had the beds been firm and the liquor choices in the lounge been more upscale - perhaps minor points, but that is the difference between very good and excellent

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
HiltonCairns1, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2012

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the review of Hilton Cairns via TripAdvisor. It’s great to read you’ve enjoyed your stay – with a particular emphasis on the service from the team. I will be sure your comments are forwarded to Anne and Gemma in the Executive Lounge – they’re a both true service professionals. I hope we can welcome you back to the Tropical North on another occasion.