“Would be reluctant to return”
Review of Hilton Cairns

Ranked #6 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Australia
“Would be reluctant to return”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights for work. After I struggled with my 20kg bag up the stairs, the concierge came and asked if I'd like him to take it to my room. After dragging it up the stairs I didn't see much point...

Check in was brief, not very welcoming, no 'how was your day so far, etc etc'. Nothing explained to us regarding breaky, pool, room location.

Room was ok but not super clean (ie you could see that the bathroom sink and bench hadn't been wiped (sitting on the loo is the best height to check that out..). Bobby pins on the floor next to the bed, the room hadnt been vacuumed.

After a big day I almost cried to find that the mini bar doesn't exist and you have to order drinks etc through room service. I couldn't bothered. I thought the mini bar was for convenience?!?

Breaky was disappointing, luckily you can get fresh eggs to order.

Free Wifi in the lobby was handy and the lobby bar provided a good meeting point for colleagues.

Second morning at about 3:30 I awoke to find someone had entered my room and turned the light on. After waking up a second later hearing the light turn off and the door close, I rushed to the door to find out if I was dreaming. The night manager had made an error and was in the room to do some 'maintenance' and said sorry he thought the room was vacant... Totally unacceptable in my opinion. I went back to bed and tried to go back to sleep. When I got up I semi expected a letter of apology under my door (at least! Maybe complimentary breaky - or something..) but there was nothing. This must happen a lot if they think this kind of mistake isn't worth an apology!!

So I think the room visitor ruined the stay for me, I'd be reluctant to return.

I've stayed at the Shang-ri la in Cairns too. Much older (needs a makeover as much as Hilton) but you receive much better service.

• Stayed February 2013
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the feedback via Tripadvisor. I am sorry to read that you had a bad experience and do appreciate the feedback on the arrival experience. We take our hotel services seriously and I am sending you a private request to make contact so I can understand more of the issue on the second night. My apologies for the disturbance - I am sure it was of concern to you. I hope there’s an opportunity to welcome you back again.

Hilton Cairns

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orange, California
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Our room was just beautiful and the bed was wonderful. We had a lovely view of the water and could see the cruise ships come and go. The location was incredibly convenient; we had about a five minute walk to the boat for our trip to the Great Barrier Reef. The staff was very nice. We had a bit of a problem with the air-con, and they sent someone straight up to fix it and a manager came also. We were offered another room, and we said we would just see how the air-con worked after being worked on and she told us she would block one out for us just in case we would like to move. The only down side I could possibly say is that there was a problem with tiny bugs around the mini-bar area. Also that the front desk charged $4.50 for use of a towel. I know hotels don't like you taking the room towels to the beach so we rented their towels-which just ended up being room towels any way. So we could have saved $13.50 by using the towels in the room. I have never had a hotel charge for beach towels before. Also there is no ramp up to the front door, I will never understand why hotels have stairs leading up to their hotel or in the lobby. People arrive with luggage and no help is offered, it's a bit annoying. Especially when people are on vacation and that's what they're greater with. All in all, a pleasant experience.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Traveller,

Thank you taking the time to review Hilton Cairns via Tripadvisor. It’s great to read that you’ve enjoyed your stay and found the location and hotel service worthy of mention. We do offer a ramp access to the hotel lobby for those who have limited mobility or have heavy bags – but of course we always endeavour to meet all our guests on arrival – I’m sorry we missed you when you first came in. I hope we can welcome you back to Hilton Cairns when next you travel.

Sydney
Reviewed 7 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night on business and wish I could have stayed for more.

Great location, right on the water and steps from the boardwalk which is perfect for early morning run or walk. Lots of great looking restaurants nearby.

Was upgraded to Spa Suite which was a nice surprise and room was very well fitted out with close to the best bathroom I have had in my recent hotel stays around Australia.

Pool was great for a night swim and room service tasty and quick!

Had previously stayed along the boardwalk at Shangri La, but I think the Hilton beats it for me!

Staff very attentive and no complaints from me....Highly recommended........5/5

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the review of Hilton Cairns via Tripadvisor. One night is indeed way too short to enjoy all the great attractions that we offer here in the Tropical North. There’s so much to do whether just around the city and Esplanade or beyond to the Great Barrier Reef and Tropical Rainforests. I hope we can welcome you back again soon,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Concierge desk faces the driveway but depending on whether you get the right concierge with the correct attitude this could make or break your initial experience. I was fortunate to get an attentive concierge who came out from behind the desk when he saw my car pull up the driveway.

Lobby is nice & bright. Very modern.

Rooms have been refurnished & look up to date, luxurious & very comfortable.

Location of hotel being on the marina & next to the casino is a good thing. Not far away from a lot of restaurants. All cruises that depart from cairns are within walking distance.

Breakfast is of a good standard for a 5 star.

Overall a good experience.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 12 February 2013
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for your review of Hilton Cairns via Tripadvisor. I’m very pleased to read that you’ve enjoyed your stay with us noting the refurbished accommodation and location on the marina with easy access to Great Barrier Reef day trip vessels. I hope we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you back again when next you travel to the Tropical North.

Hamilton, Ontario
Reviewed 5 February 2013

We hadn't planned to visit Cairns but due to flooded roads we spent two nights. We just walked in and got a room, our Gold status got us a great rate with free breakfast.
I agree with the other reviewer; need to improve beds. How about a memory foam topper, or find out what kind of mattress the Hilton Garden Inns use in the US, the beds are heaven.
Great service and even better location. Large selection at the breakfast buffet, however I ordered pancakes and they were the worst I had ever had, I think they left out the ingredient that made them light and fluffy, they were flat and touch.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank barryandjoan
Dear Barry and Joan,

Thank you for the review of Hilton Cairns. I’m sorry to read you didn’t enjoy your pancakes, this comment has been passed to the Executive Chef for review. All roads in and out of the region were only closed briefly following some heavy rains but travel to and from Cairns was quickly restored. I hope we can welcome you back to Cairns another time.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 February 2013

My partner and had been staying in Port Douglas for the previous days before checking into the Hilton in Cairns. The other hotel we were staying at wasn't up to scratch so we thought we'd lash out and get one of the Executive Spa Suites at the Hilton.
From the moment we arrived at the Hilton, we were greeted by the door man, and our luggage was picked up for us so we could checkin with ease. The counter staff were all lovely. We arrived at around 11:30am, and were very pleased when we were told our room was already ready for us (checkin is usually 2pm). The bellboy took our bags up stairs for us and we caught the lift up.
From the moment we walked in we were just in awe of the room, it was nice and cool from the air conditioning and the fit out was just amazing. Everything in the room was extremely modern.
We had stunning views of the mountains and of the water. Drinks and canapes were included in the cost of the room, also breakfast the next morning.
The next morning I took full advantage of the pool and also ordered some cocktails to be delivered. The cocktails weren't the best I'd ever had, but for $12 they were quite good.
Everything from start to finish was perfect, the only thing that could have been improved was the air conditioning in our room, in the mornings it got quite hot in the room. We also definitely appreciated the complimentary late checkout at 1230pm so we could go straight from the Hotel to the Airport.
Was a pleasure staying at the Hilton Cairns and we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Executive Spa Suite is amazing.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the review via Tripadvisor for Hilton Cairns. I’m pleased to read that you’ve really enjoyed your stay especially in one of your premium Executive Spa suites - they provide an extra level of comfort and design with great views of course.
I hope we can welcome you back to the Tropical North when you make your next ‘escape’.

Portugal
Reviewed 4 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Hotel for 6 nights during February
The Hotel is comfortable , the rooms have very good beds and rooms well laid out to a good standard be advised book with water view well worth it
The air conditioning is hit and miss and is no where near as cool as it should be
While we were at the hotel during a heat wave it was often not on in reception or ineffective

Some policies dumbfounded us ie wifi was only free in lobby ?? So I could walk in off the street and get the same treatment as someone who is a guest and pays 200 bucks a night ?? Strange policy for a world brand , a policy they do not deploy in Europe, having said that the wifi is that poor you are better going up the esplanade to Dundees having a bite and using theirs.

The other one was a bar that closes at ten to ten every night ? Why ? Often the in house restaurant is still very busy ?

The gym was well equipped but the one item we wanted to use did not work , the pool is very good

Overall due to crass policies I would not return next time

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Weldge
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the review via Tripadvisor and I’m sorry to read that you did not find value in your accommodation, especially the in room wifi. It’s good to note that you enjoyed the unique water-view location and in room comforts.