“Very nice stay - recommended”
Review of Hilton Cairns

Ranked #7 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Very nice stay - recommended”
Reviewed 1 March 2013

The hotel is located directly on the river front and we had a beautiful view - you can walk along the harbour front to the town centre in approx 5mins
The hotel generally is very nice, what you would expect from a hilton
Free wifi in reception but generally slow speeds, but I suspect this is due to amount of people using - note to anyone with a kindle wanting to download a free book .. They block the ports that kindle uses (sorry for technical speak) so you cannot update kindles but computers and iPad / iPhone updated and worked fine.
We eat in Mondos (lower floor of hotel) again fine and surprisingly not expensive
Breakfast was fine, not the best/greatest choice but normal bacon, sausage, pastries, eggs cooked to order etc... - they also cater for Chinese/Japanese market so there was various things that would appeal to that market and not necessarily the western palate at 7am ..
Staff were friendly, in lobby they have an excursion desk which offer various trips - we booked and then later in the town found other similar excursions cheaper but I suppose you find that anywhere.
Taxi cost around $25aud each way from airport to hotel and took about 15mins
Normal gripe about cost of Internet in room .. $30aud per day .. I find this is a ripoff (could explain the slowness in free areas) ... They really should offer it at $10 per day and they will find more people use and in the long run make more money ... (Rant over)
We did pay an extra $9aud per night for a spa room ... I think the rooms are bigger (we were on the 8th floor) so if that's the case then worth it .. If not and you are just paying for a bubble bath then maybe not
Downside - we could not find any rooms that were king bed size and had a room with 2xqueens - they were very comfortable but would have preferred king bed.
Overall ... Very nice stay

Room Tip: Ask for sea/harbour facing room
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 3 March 2013
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the review of Hilton Cairns via Tripadvisor. I’m pleased to read that you’ve enjoyed your stay and made special mention of the great waterfront location and Boardwalk that is a comfortable stroll into the Esplanade restaurant and café area. Mondo Café Bar and Grill is unique in it’s premium waterfront location and is a favourite for locals. I hope you’ve enjoyed the escape from the English winter and that we’ll be able to welcome you back again to the Tropical North some other time.

John Lucas| General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I recentley stayed at the Cairns Hilton, and overall, the stay was quite enjoyable. A beautiful and tranquil location.
Unfortunately I do have to make one complaint; during my stay I had the included breakfast each morning, and the food was fantastic, however service not so much. Lana (or Lena) was absolutley fantastic in her genuine, professional approach, and her genuine care for her guests makes the world of difference.
What stumped myself and my partner on our last few days was the way in which the restaurant (or perhaps F&B) supervisor (not sure of her name, however she was fijian), treated her staff.
I come from hospitality and I understand the demands and complexities F&B, however over a few days I noticed extreemely rude and demeaning comments, unprofessional tones, and poor management techniques. This really did start our days fustrated and feeling very sorry for the other staff who were working fast,and efficently, but were treated with such disrespect. Not only that, the woman was particularly rude to me upon arrival.

I will return to Cairns Hilton, but I will not be eating at Hanumans due to this mistreatment. I really hope this finds the right person so that this can be improved. From what I saw, Hanumans is comprised of a great team, however, with insufficient leadership, this will change.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sarah J
Dear Sarah,

Thank you for the review of Hilton Cairns via Tripadvisor. I appreciate you taking the time to write and acknowledge your concerns regarding specific members of the team. This comment has been noted and addressed. I’m pleased that you’re overall stay was enjoyable and you noted most aspects of your time with us as 5 out of 5 – thanks for the great feedback. I hope we can welcome you back to the Tropical North again soon.

John Lucas| General Manager
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Executive room and lounge are fabulous! People are friendly and helpful! Good location, walking distance to lots of places! But one thing, the bathtub is just deep enough and when you shower, you definitely wet the whole bathroom. Have to squeeze myself to the wall and glass panel to avoid splashing... Overall loving it!

1 Thank ChristineLim22
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Dear Christine,

Thank you for the review via Tripadvisor. I’m delighted to read that you’ve enjoyed your Hilton experience making a special note of our prime waterfront location – walking distance to so much of what cairns hs to offer. I hope we can welcome you back again when next you travel to the Tropical North.

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 26 February 2013 via mobile

This Hilton send to have been forgotten, with a mildewy rusted appearance in different areas. This isn't noticeable on the Web images, but definitely is when you're there. They were having major issues with the internet, forcing everyone staying there to congregate in the muggy lobby for the free wi-fi. The breakfast was great, and the staff very sweet. The pool area has rust on some of the pillars. It's just sort of sad-looking. Tried to leave a day early, we were so frustrated when we first got there. Also.. Very weird showers! There isn't a door to keep water from collecting on the bathroom floor. I've seen no-door type showers at other Hiltons which are nice, but this is not done right. It's just a nuisance.

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I’m disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your Hilton experience. We value feedback from our guests and take note of your areas of concern.

John Lucas General Manager
Reviewed 23 February 2013 via mobile

Nice Helpful staff and really comfortable bed. Good breakfast. Otherwise hotel is quite old. No music in lobby (can hear what reception is saying), pool is small and my room wasn't dusted properly. I would say it it not up to the same quality I have received in other Hilton hotels.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for posting feedback following your stay here at Hilton Cairns. It’s great to read that you enjoyed the comfortable bedding and found the team here at hotel delivered a friendly and helpful level of service.

Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

Traveling for business and after a disappointing prior night very much enjoyed the short stay. Could really do with a ramp to bags both in and out
Great location with the orientation of the building offering great views
Bed was great as was the shower and balcony
Staff were friendly and accommodating

Hope to stay again

• Stayed February 2013
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Dear Dean,

Thank you for the review via Tripadvisor of Hilton Cairns. I’m pleased to read you’ve enjoyed your stay with us. The Tropical North is renowned as a destination for holiday makers but we can’t forget the many business travellers who come through regularly. We offer programs such as Hilton Honors where you can earn points for loyalty and access to our exclusive Executive Floor lounge.
I hope we can welcome you back again soon,

Australia
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights for work. After I struggled with my 20kg bag up the stairs, the concierge came and asked if I'd like him to take it to my room. After dragging it up the stairs I didn't see much point...

Check in was brief, not very welcoming, no 'how was your day so far, etc etc'. Nothing explained to us regarding breaky, pool, room location.

Room was ok but not super clean (ie you could see that the bathroom sink and bench hadn't been wiped (sitting on the loo is the best height to check that out..). Bobby pins on the floor next to the bed, the room hadnt been vacuumed.

After a big day I almost cried to find that the mini bar doesn't exist and you have to order drinks etc through room service. I couldn't bothered. I thought the mini bar was for convenience?!?

Breaky was disappointing, luckily you can get fresh eggs to order.

Free Wifi in the lobby was handy and the lobby bar provided a good meeting point for colleagues.

Second morning at about 3:30 I awoke to find someone had entered my room and turned the light on. After waking up a second later hearing the light turn off and the door close, I rushed to the door to find out if I was dreaming. The night manager had made an error and was in the room to do some 'maintenance' and said sorry he thought the room was vacant... Totally unacceptable in my opinion. I went back to bed and tried to go back to sleep. When I got up I semi expected a letter of apology under my door (at least! Maybe complimentary breaky - or something..) but there was nothing. This must happen a lot if they think this kind of mistake isn't worth an apology!!

So I think the room visitor ruined the stay for me, I'd be reluctant to return.

I've stayed at the Shang-ri la in Cairns too. Much older (needs a makeover as much as Hilton) but you receive much better service.

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the feedback via Tripadvisor. I am sorry to read that you had a bad experience and do appreciate the feedback on the arrival experience. We take our hotel services seriously and I am sending you a private request to make contact so I can understand more of the issue on the second night. My apologies for the disturbance - I am sure it was of concern to you. I hope there’s an opportunity to welcome you back again.