“Hilton augmented our holiday spirits!”
Review of Hilton Cairns

Hilton Cairns
Ranked #6 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Sunshine Coast, Australia
“Hilton augmented our holiday spirits!”
Reviewed 30 April 2013

At check-in we were greeted very warmly by Marlon. Being Hilton Diamond, we were upgraded to an Exec room with a view of the waters and ferries going out to sea. Room was very clean though for an Exec room it was smaller than say an equivalent room at the Grace Hotel in Sydney. Our room was made up twice a day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon - which came as a wonderful surprise. It's a pleasure to come back to a room that's clean and tidy after our tours, shopping, etc.

When one of the hotel staff Ritesh found out we were celebrating a special occasion, he delivered a bottle of red wine to our room. That certainly made our day! As the Hilton was undergoing broadband Wi-Fi connectivity issues - yes, Wi-Fi could not be assessed in our room during our stay, Ritesh suggested using the business centre and assisted the administration. I am impressed with the excellent customer-focussed service. During my stay, I had not found one staff that was unkind, rude or unhelpful; however there were a couple of individuals that assisted without a smile such as one at the tour booking desk - but they were not rude.

Breakfast was complimentary in the restaurant on the ground floor. Buffet style, selection was as expected for an Australian Hilton. One could also order specially made pancakes, eggs benedict, eggs cooked whichever way you like, and a few other selections from the table placard. Waiting time for the special orders was about 10 mins, but considering there is no additional charge and the spread of the buffet, waiting wasn't an issue. But the general black coffee (suspected to be drip coffee) served certainly wasn't up to mark - being a coffee lover. Coffee tasted diluted/soft, until ordered a shot of espresso which brought out the beans goodness.

Location was perfect for us as it was a 5-minute walk to catch the ferry to the reefs. It was approximately 15 mins leisure stroll (up a single street) to Cairns Central - the major shopping centre in the city. Hilton was also about 7-minute walk to the Night Markets which was worth visiting, though small (comprising approx. 20 or so stalls, some were empty for lease). Hilton was also about 7 minutes walk to the lagoon if one prefers an open plan sun-tanning day or pool soak - you'll not be able to swim due to the crowds in the pool. Also a short 10-min taxi ride from domestic airport costing approximately between $22-$26 (we paid this amount).

The indoor area of the exec lounge felt slightly smaller than the Brisbane one, perhaps because of the patio area where guests can relax enjoying the sunset (which was beautiful). Food selection was limited and drinks had to be served by the staff member whereas the drinks in the Brissy Exec lounge was "help yourself" from the fridge. That said, hot food selection varied each day with quiche being the best of them all whilst we were there.

Overall Hilton Cairns made our holiday more enjoyable with excellent accommodation and options, friendly smiling well groomed staff and great location suited for our purpose. Would definitely return to Hilton Cairns for our next trip.

Room Tip: Request for room facing the water with a sea view - where the ferries go out to sea.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ProfVau
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Dear ProfVau,

Thank you for your comprehensive review via Tripadvisor, there is certainly a wealth of helpful information in your review to advise other travellers.
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your room, the service and the location.
The new wifi system is now in place providing fast and reliable connections. I apologise that this was not yet finished during your visit and thank you for your understanding.
As Hilton Diamond members we value your support and look forward to welcoming you back when next you travel this way.

John Lucas| General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 April 2013

As a Diamond this hotel was great. Some notable points.

Executive Lounge: Rikki and Tabitha were great. I wish they would teach a class for attendants at other hotels. Beverage and food selection were great. Lounge is a bit small but definitely adequate.

Check-In: Quick, attentive, and even went so far as to have a prepared breakfast in a bag since we were leaving early for the airport.

Downstairs Lounge -- great views and service .. reasonable prices considering its a hotel bar

Room - great view of the water and wharf area with a nice balcony to relax and enjoy the great weather on.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review via Tripadvisor following your stay here at Hilton Cairns. It’s great to read you’ve enjoyed your visit so much and I know the team you have mentioned will be pleased to be personally recognised. As a valued Diamond Hilton Honors member we value your on-going loyalty and I hope we can welcome you back here or around the globe again soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I found this hotel and its staff lovely. The room was clean and very nicely presented. However, the room was a bit small for 2 Adults and 2 Small kids, but, that way my choice to choose a normal hotel room over a suite etc. Other than that, it was beautiful and pillows were extremely comfy!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Dear Megan,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review via Tripadvisor for Hilton Cairns.

I'm pleased to read that you've enjoyed your stay and note your feedback on room size. The other option, for your consideration next visit, is to book an interconnecting room which will feature a King bed and Double/Double configuration next door - it's what alot of families choose to give them that extra space.

I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Nice hotel, great location, but not up to normal Hilton standards. They must be struggling because finding staff is like finding the next weeks lotto numbers. And try not getting water all over the bathroom floor when showering, better you than me.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Dear Barry,

Thank you for the review via Tripadvisor. I’m sorry to read that the service was lacking and you were unhappy with the bathroom design. I appreciate your feedback.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Stayed at the Cairns Hilton for three nights. The property location is excellent. It's well situated close to the marina, so it's a short two-minute stroll to board the boats to the Great Barrier Reef. And it's also walking distance to a variety of restaurants, shopping, casino, wildlife dome and the lagoon.

Room was adequate and good sized, and we had a great balcony view of Trinity Inlet.

The breakfast buffet spread at Hanuman was a little disappointing, this one did not live up to the standard of the other Hilton properties. No fresh juices either. But it filled our needs to fuel up for the day, I guess.

We only used the pool on the last day of our stay, but it was overcast and quite windy, so I was only there for a couple of hours. During that period, I did not see any staff in the pool area picking up towels which other guests have left behind. Also, the lounge chair covers should be cleaned, as we've noticed a couple of them had bird poop.

The biggest downside is the poor housekeeping service. Room was not cleaned on our third night, so was sorely bummed-out after spending a long, wet and tiring day out at the Daintree National Park to come back to an unattended hotel room and no fresh towels.

We managed to get a late 2PM check out the next day, but at around 1+PM, housekeeping service came knocking at the door. When I informed her that we had a late check-out, she apologised and told me that she was not informed about it. So there is an obvious lack of communication between the front desk and housekeepers.

On my closing note, the staff at reception, and the Executive Lounge deserve to be commended for their attention to customer service. The girl on duty in the Executive Lounge in particular was terrific throughout our visit!

Room Tip: Room 913 has a great balcony view of Trinity Inlet. You can also see the thousands of flying foxes i...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lynn_wabbit
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Dear Lynn,

Thank you for the review via Tripadvisor. I’m sorry to read of the shortfalls in the Housekeeping service – this has been passed to the Manager for review and appropriate action. I’m pleased to note that you’ve enjoyed our premium location and experienced great service in the Executive Lounge. As a Gold Hilton Honors member we value your on-going support and hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Yours sincerely
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Every time I visted the Cairns Hilton, I remember my slip down in the bath room because of the structure of the bathroom to the room. Because I love Hilton so I did not loge my claim. But I remember always, I should have claimed for my personal injury. It was very unfortunate.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Dear Hiro,

Thank you for making the comments on Tripadvisor. We have corresponded already following your last stay and, as noted in our other communication, look forward to having you visit once again.

John Lucas|General Manager
Reviewed 24 April 2013 via mobile

I travel to Cairns regularly and this is my favourite hotel. It is well situated at the casino end of the esplanade so you can easily access the wonderful amenities that Cairns has to offer. The decor is understated and stylish, the foyer is airy and cool. The rooms are well appointed and reasonably luxurious. As other reviewers have mentioned, the views are wonderful and you can sit with the sliding doors open and enjoy the bird noises of the evening or close them and retreat to a cool and comfortable space. My mini bar was non existent on this stay, I wonder if that's because I used an online, late notice booking service. The staff are great, the view at breakfast is wonderfully tropical.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the review of Hilton Cairns via Tripadvisor. Firstly, let me thank you for your loyalty and on-going support – it’s greatly appreciated. I’m pleased to read you’re enjoying your visits here to Cairns with reference to the great location. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.