“Incompetence - Becareful of Australian Check Out Processes”
Review of Hilton Cairns

Hilton Cairns
Ranked #6 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Melbourne, Australia
“Incompetence - Becareful of Australian Check Out Processes”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Twice in a fortnight! Its a shame because the service from conceierge and the Hilton in general was very good.

When leaving, I was in a rush and asked front desk to process my check-out and to send the receipt to my room. That all seemed fine until I returned to Melbourne and saw that the hold on my credit card had not been returned.

It seems that every hotel in Australia is suffering from Check out incompetence (see my review for the Shangri0la Sydney), at least the Hilton was permited (by me) to put this authorisation on the card unlike the Shangri-la Sydney.

My advice, do NOT rely on the check-out staff to do their job properly. Insist on seeing the reversal of the authorisation and do not pay until this is complete.

For us, that is nearly $2,000 hotels have held onto from our accounts in 2 weeks.

1 Thank DaveMelbourne2010
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Dave,

Thank you for the review of Hilton Cairns via Tripadvisor. I’m sorry to read you’ve recorded a poor experience with your billing. Upon arrival we take a pre authorisation on the credit card which ensures sufficient funds are available upon departure – my apologies if this was not clearly explained to you. I hope we can welcome you back to the Tropical North again sometime.

Your sincerely,

John Lucas| General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Great place to stay, close to everything shopping, food and marina. would stay here again next trip around. hotel staff were very friendly and hotel staff were very helpful..........................................................................................................

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Tai,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Tripadvisor review of Hilton Cairns. I was delighted to read that your stay was so enjoyable. It is our goal to ensure that every guest experience is as positive as yours so your feedback is greatly appreciated. I hope we may welcome you back to Hilton Cairns in the future.

Worcestershire
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The sort of thing that you would expect from the Hilton brand. Nothing grand. Functional and slightly dated.
The upper floors have something of a motel feel to them as the "corridors" are open to the elements.
It seemed to have the ambience of a beach front motel. Which might not be a bad thing, unless you are expecting chic city luxury!
My room was of a decent size and I slept ok in the bed.
I found it to be a good location

I did have one real concern. The buffet breakfast offering is not great and the service around the tables is really quite poor and not very hygienic.
I watched one young lethargic male staff member who clearly didn't want to be there. When clearing the tables he looked at the glasses and made a decision as to whether they had been used or not. If he thought they hadn't he'd leave them on the table, and neatly bunch them together by putting his fingers inside the glass! Having cleared a table he wouldn't bother to wipe it properly. He gave a cursory flick of the crumbs with the serviettes he was laying for the next customers to use! He walked past table after table which had been vacated and were cluttered with used crocks, steadfastly refusing to try to make the place look better and ready for the next arrivals. There were lots more issues at breakfast time, and I did bring them to the attention of the resort General Manager before I left.
But having said that, if I visited Cairns again, I would return to the Hilton. But would take my breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank whiskerxx
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for completing a review of Hilton Cairns via Tripadvisor. I recall our conversation in the lobby regarding your feedback on the specific team member you mentioned. Be assured your comprehensive detail was acted on immediately and the person concerned was disciplined for his poor service. This one person does not reflect the standards and level of professionalism of the team here at the hotel. I’m pleased to read you enjoyed your other aspects of the stay and hope we can welcome you back again sometime.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Good service, good rooms, everything you would expect from a Hilton Hotel. Mondo's Restaurant is a great place to eat, sitting beside Trinity Inlet watching the boats come and go. All rooms have a balcony and views of either the Inlet or the city and mountains.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Lindsay,

Thank you for the review of Hilton Cairns. It's great to read you've enjoyed your stay here with us and took some time to relax and dine at Mondo Cafe Bar and Grill. It's a unique dining venue where guests can enjoy unbroken views across the water. I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here 4 nights after being in Sydney. This place is not luxurious but it is peaceful and the service is superb. We were fort greeted by Ritesh who did a fabulous job making sure our anniversary was great.

The hotel is on the water and is near some good restaurants. We also scuba and we could catch our boat right off the pier. For the excursions we booked that were not there this hotel is on the list of most companies for pickup so we did not have to rent a car

The executive lounge at night looks out to the other side if the water and the staff there remembered us after one night.

We plan on coming back.

Stayed November 2013
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review of Hilton Cairns. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your 4 night stay.
Cairns is a wonderful holiday destination, attracting visitors to the beautiful Great Barrier Reef and Rainforests. We are also very lucky that Cairns and the hotel is central to the Reef Fleet Terminal and popular restaurants.
Your positive feedback of the hotel is greatly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Cairns in the near future.

Brisbane
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Traveled up to Cairns for a weekend in November. Was greeted by staff on arrival and informed about the upgrade as a HHonors Diamond, yet the staff member seemed totally frazzled when I asked about a king bed instead of a twin. He kept pushing the fact about the water view until he finally relented.

Room, one of the spa deluxe was up on level 8 and had a nice view into the hinterland. I echo other comments by guests here the spa has a glass wall looking to the view, and the bedroom. Found it a tad unusual. Room was aged, yet clean. Did find it noisy on Saturday night with the functions downstairs.

Executive lounge breakfast offering were pretty weak, yet the freshly squeezed orange juice was appreciated, as was the warm service by the Executive floor Manager, Ann. I sampled with my colleague both the Shangri-la and the Hilton evening canapes service during the weekend. While the Shangri-la was quite busy the staff were a lot more proactive in offering refills for drinks and cleaning the table then at the Hilton and I felt the canapes variety was stronger at the Shangri-la.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to write an extensive review of Hilton Cairns on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. We are very lucky to offer amazing views of the Trinity Inlet and mountain ranges beyond, a beautiful snapshot of Far North Queensland. Our Executive Lounge team is an asset to the hotel and I will be sure to pass your comments along to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Cairns in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 November 2013

A thoroughly good experience over 3 nights and conference at the venue - friendly, accommodating staff, buffet breakfast extensive and welcoming. Room on 4th floor absolutely huge, spotlessly clean and tidy......only 2 very minor comments re. the room - pillows provided were way too soft and provided no support at all and disrupted my sleep a few times, and the A/C whilst pretty effective during some very warm and humid Cairns weather, is showing its age -noisy and couldn't really be directed around room (swirl or swing function etc.) like more modern wall mounted units. This withstanding, very satisfied with the service - would definitely stay there again.

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hilton Cairns on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your 3 night stay whilst attending a conference. It is a great time of year to visit and I am glad you were able to experience the fantastic service from our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Cairns again in the near future.